General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Tie Rods on a cavalier

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 07:52 PM
Default Tie Rods on a cavalier

Ok first off, I know this is the Monte Carlo Forum and this might need to be in the "off topic" page but I really wanted this to be seen by all the mechanically inclined here on the MCF and I didnt wanna go find some ricer forum and join and ask the question there so I decided to ask the Mcf which ive trusted for over a year now with all my mechanical questions...

My sister has an 03 Cavalier. FOur Door. Its a daily driver for her and she could care less about mods. Well she went to the chevy dealer the other day and they told her that she needed new tie rods and that they'd cost her four hundred bucks to have installed.

She is strapped for cash and I wanna try and help her out. So first off what are they? And could someone mechanically inclined replaced them? or is this something that needs to be done at the dealership? I was hoping this would be something I could buy at auto zone and do myself and save her some cash. And as far as my mechanical ability... I am halfway to an engineering degree and have done alot of basic car repairs.. Ive installed lifts on trucks, etc and I can typically do anything to my monte with haynes manual in hand lol.

Just need a run down of this from the folks I trust rather than asking some "no it all" at autozone. LOL

Old 01-25-2010, 08:53 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Tie rods and tie rod ends connect the steering rack to the steering knuckle. Anyone with any mechanical ability should be able to change them. Both the tie rods and the tire rod ends just screw off. Alot of the time you may need to heat the old tie rod ends up to remove them because if they are older they are seized on there pretty good.

If its just the ends that need changed (usually the case), then just remove the nut that holds the end to the knuckle. Then try hitting down on the stud on the tie rod end to seperate it from the knuckle. If it doesnt come out pretty easily, try hitting the knuckle instead. You shouldnt have a problem getting the two seperated. Next, the end should turn off with a wrench, this is where you may need to heat the end with a torch. Usually if you heat it up good, it will turn right off no problem. Try and leave the set nut in place without moving it. That way you wont mess up your alignment when you put the new end back on. Once you get your new end, just turn it back on and tighten it againts the set nut. Then reattach it to the steering knuckle.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:10 PM
Monte Of The Month - April 2010 & Sep
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

x2... depending on how old or where you live (rust) be prepared to add some quarters into the swear jar lol. but are pretty simple to swap out

Old 01-26-2010, 06:24 PM
Old 01-26-2010, 06:43 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

i do believe there are inner and outer, but those do look like the right ones.

its crazy how much they charge just for a small job, places are rediculous with this economy

Old 01-26-2010, 08:29 PM
Monte Of The Month - April 2010 & Sep

do you need to do the inners, outers, or both?

Old 01-27-2010, 02:37 PM

I just got the paper that the chevy place gave my sister and she needs "outer tie rod ends" for an 03 cavalier.

Guys I would greatly appreciate it if someone would post a link to some good reliable ones at a good price cuz I really dont wanna get the wrong thing. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:23 PM

Just look for any aftermarket parts for 'em. Autozone would be more expensive than how much they really are.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:03 PM

the dealership quoted u for a front end alignment as well...but $400 is still to steep. the only was i could see u paying that much is if it also needed a camber/caster kit to adjust other aspects of the suspension...

now im in school to be a ford tech so idk if this applies to chevy but one tip for u is when u r taking the tie rod ends off, u can pull on the rotor but be careful not to seperate the half shaft from your transaxle. there are bearings that are on the shaft that connects ur tire to your transmission that if pulled apart, have to be replaced. u can pull jsut make sure that its not putting alot of strain on the shaft

Old 01-27-2010, 11:32 PM

You may be able to get away with just replacing the tire rod sleeve. It depends where the excess play is located on the tire rod. the car will need a front end alignment after the job is done. When you replace it, count how many turns it takes for the tire rod to come off. When you put the new part on screw it back on the same amount of turns as it took for the old one to come off. This will get the alignment close, but not right on. It will then need to take it an alignment shop to get it dialed in all the way.

Make sure you get the alignment. If you don't the tires can ware wrong and shorten the life of them. As we all know tires(any parts really) these days are not cheep.

Quick Reply: Tie Rods on a cavalier