Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

#2 spark plug misfiring, but is firing *HELP*

Old 09-20-2010, 06:43 PM
Default #2 spark plug misfiring, but is firing *HELP*

I really need some help with this as it's been an issue for me for a great portion of the year with my 2002 Monte Carlo. There are only 70k miles on the car.

When I turn on my car the motor shakes, the car is very sluggish, and sounds like it wants to shut off. When driving it the car continues to be sluggish.

When I put a computer on it it only says that the number 2 spark plug is misfiring, but it does fire, so I have tested it.

The Plugs are new, the wires are good, the coral pack is good, compression and injection test have passed.

When I describe the issue to friends the first thing that comes to mind is a cadillac converter issue which it could be the case. A friend that is more familiar with cars says he doubts it's the issue.

I took my car to two shops and they basically haven't told me anything that would lead me to the cause.

Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Stretch; 09-20-2010 at 06:48 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:02 PM

How did you test the coil pack? There is no real way to test them with a multi-meter etc. A plugged converter, usually doesn't cause a misfire, but the car will act like its chained to a huge boat anchor(no power). Try swapping the coils around. If you know #2 is missing, change the positions with one of the other ones on there. If #2 stops missing, but anther cylinder starts, you know that coil needs to be replaced.

If it still doesn't make a difference, It may be ICM(Ignition Control Module), It is mounted under the coil packs. They are not as prone to failing than the old 2.8/3.1 engines since chevy mounted the assembly under the front exhaust manifold on those engines. When It was mounted under the exhaust manifold, it and the coils would get constantly heat soaked. It would eventually cause them to fail.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:13 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Does it run decently when you first start it, cold? Then it chugs and runs crappy once it warms up? If so, that could be your catalytic convertor, or maybe even the MAF sensor.