Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

1987 Monte Carlo SS V8 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 02:36 PM
Default 1987 Monte Carlo SS V8 5.0

I have a 1987 Monte Carlo SS V8 5.0 that has been sitting in a barn for 7-10 years and i want to get it running again it has 94,xxx miles on it and it was running when we put it away. what do i have to do to get it running again? I know i have to change the spark plugs/wires, oil trans fluid. what else?

thank you..

Old 03-25-2008, 02:59 PM
Default RE: 1987 Monte Carlo SS V8 5.0

Hi `Mark, & Welcome to the Monte Carlo Family
You have a major project before you...WoW.
Was your Monte Carlo prepared before it was stored ?
Do you know `if the engine will turn ?
What is the condition of the Monte now ? Rust/wheels/etc.
Was it in dry storage ?
Was the gas tank emptied ?
Was it covered ?
Are you mechanically inclined ? Do you have tools ?
Try to post as much information as you can about your
Monte, and I'm sure the member's that have rebuilt, will
give you some insight.
I could list everything in a parts store that may need
replaced, but without being able to be there, and see the car
it would be difficult to advise.
Look forward to more infor. We wish you the best.
Good Luck, `Space

Old 03-25-2008, 09:11 PM

actually not to awful hard to get them runnign it is weather or not they are safe after you do to drive to much.

to get it runnign have a fier extinguisher near by.
a can of gas
put some good gas in the tank
a fresh battery
and check all the fluids to make sure they are full.

to get them going i have never changed everythign but this is also due to where they seem to always be parked i would not want to crawl around on the ground aroudn them LOL

but start by checking to make sure the motor is still freed up and make sure that all mouse nest etc.. are off the tial pies etc... so they dont catch fire for ya.
then just put the good gas in the tank with some stabel. I will also add some octane boost to it so that any old gas will hopefully burn out. (it will not smell good at all LOL )

then hook up a fresh bat.
start cranking on it and with luck she should fire up pretty easy.
the biggest things to remeber is do not rev it up when you get it started let it idel for a short tiem so tha thte oil can get thew the motor I will normally do it for at least 5 min.
also make sure that when you put it in gear to move it do not rev it up.
make sure that the fluids are good in the tranny also. and it should roll for ya.

make sure all your brakes have fluid to them and once it is runnign for a bit check the peddel.
put it in gear and attempt to move it SLOWLY and stop it wiht the foot brake to make sure they are stoping the car.

once all of this si done you should be good to drive the car to where ever you plan to work on it.
once it has warmed all the way up and all the functions are seeing to wake up good for ya then shut it down and check for leakes etc... (be checkign for leaks threw out this whole thing)

then i would try to start it agian latter on afterit has a time to kool off like stone cold again.
if all gose well it will start up might not be the easiest start but should do it any way.

then start to change all teh rubber hoses the brakes need flushed, tranny will more then likely need to have the filter changed and fluids changed out
change the oil etc...

Also good time to wash her up and make sure all teh weather seals are in decent order and not leaking to bad if at all.
reneber it has been sittign for a lng time and things are brittel on it plastic and rubber crak easyily.

but other then those thing i would stat by gettign some good cleaner,and clean the insides out and if you plan to rebuild it all then start the tear down and go for it. better to have it runnign when you do this then not runnign so tha tyou know what to fix. and what dont need it.
just make sure that you change the brake fluids out and also the T-stat and enjoy it.

if you can please throw some photos up on here so we can see it also. good luck

Old 03-25-2008, 09:35 PM

WOW!!all the fluids need changing... engine oil and water, tranny fluid, brake fluid, everything!! its not gonna roll most likely so you willneed to free up the brakes. disassemble them, clean off the rust and ensure the calipers are free to float when re-installed, maybe new shoes???lube the driveshaft u joints and all suspension components. drain the fuel tank and possibly blow out the lines if you remove the fuel line from the carb,plus replace the filter. nothin but 4 bolts holding the tank and unlessthey are rusty its an easy job. iwould puts some Gibbs or Wd-40 in each of the cylinders and let it sit a full day then repeat that procedure and wait another day before doing anything. put a socket on the crankshaft after all the days wait with the penetrant and try to turn the motor over by hand.make multiple revolutions to ensure their is no bind in the rotation. depending on what tools and such you have you could,... remove the valve covers, replace the gasketsand lube up the topside, remove the distributor and prime the engine witha drill and a primer tool bought or home made. verify the oil pressure on the gauge while priming.like you said,... plugs, wires, air filter, etc,..check pcv, egr, etc,.. inspect all rubber lines!!there are so many things i'm sure i've left out some but this is more than a days work so good luck and put up some pics when you revive the '87!

Old 03-25-2008, 09:54 PM

i woudl try everythig witht he thought of i plan to rebuild them but if ya dont right away you can at least get it out of there area it si in

Old 03-26-2008, 12:00 PM

OK... The Monte was stored out of the weather and all the fluids were changed before it was Stored. I got it out of the place it was stored and it is now in my garage. The Wheel are not locked up. The body is in good condition with Minor rust and inside is in mint condition. The gas tank does have some gas in it.. so we are going to drop the tank and clean it out. I could get any tool that i possibly needed. This brings me to my first problem... I bought a new battery at walmart last night and hooked it up to thecar and Absolutly no power to anything. The battery is charged and when i hook up the batter im not even geting any sparks so any suggestions.. Thank you

Old 03-26-2008, 08:02 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Check all the connections for the battery cables. They should be corroded from sitting. Clean up the terminal clamps with some sand paper. After you get it running again,put a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil in a full tank of gas. It will clean and lubethe entire fuel system and clean the combustion chambers. It will clean varnish from the fuel injectors and it will clean the carbon out of the combustion chamber.