Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

1974 Monte Carlo dash light question

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 09:28 PM
Default RE: 1974 Monte Carlo dash light question

the springs were sagging that bad? or were they cut previously?
6" lift WOW LOL

Old 05-09-2008, 11:36 PM
Default RE: 1974 Monte Carlo dash light question

the little removable sockets that the bulbs sit in do go bad, the contacts spread and get oxidized
also the outside contacts that contact the printed circuit board loose tension and get oxidized
clean em up with a little piece of emery board (swipe it from the wife/girlfriend) and some
spray brake cleaner, tighten up the contacts with a jewlers screwdriwer (bend rm closer together) and clean the pc board contact areas with a pencil eraser also check the connector plug at the cluster, those contacts suffer the same problems, lastly check the dash grounds. post back and let me know, i've fixed many dash lights this way.

Aaron

Old 05-08-2010, 02:59 PM

If you can get me a Diagram of how to wire the LED's or just the parts you need to do so, I can probably get my friend to write the wiring diagram on how to do that. I just bought mine and it will be towed to me Monday after I do the title transfer (Because it does not have plates.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:47 PM

Not allot of the second gens on here

Old 10-07-2012, 08:17 PM
Smile results, been a long time since on line here

Well, My monte update, the dash /signal light issue was found to be loose fit at the mini bulb contacts, used a long skinny pick to pry them out abit and viola', presto, all lights worky fine... though one signal indicator outage has returned recently. (argh)

this summer we had a blueprint crate 496cid dropped into the car, replacing the oil buring 454 she'd had..
she is f-f-f-fast-er... now... awesome torque and power, (523hp, 530 ft/lbs) and so far, the 700R4 has held up to it.
we had roller rockers put on with new 'x' pipe exhaust, Hooker supercomps and nice quieter dynamax's, yum (much better than alerting a mile away of my arrival- nascar exhaust she did have). she sounds great!

BUT-
currently, due to (my) poorly decided repair strategy on said 'signal indicator' outage, we're looking at some new paint. Murphy's Law struck let's just say, she'll be fixed up and soon, with maybe a full coat of fresh chameleon paint to boot! (and we'll fix that darn signal indicator yet!!).. we may change over to sport mirrors rather than deluxe chrome while we're at it!.
Thanks to all who made suggestions, it's been years since I've been on here, but we saved and saved and drove little, this year we got the power plant done! yippee...! the blueprint is a nice piece, so far. with a 30 month/30k mile warranty I hope to say the same in 36 months.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:08 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well welcome back. As I read through your first post I was gonna comment on the tabs on those bulb holders. I have had that happen before. Glad you got it fixed Now lest see some pics

Old 11-13-2012, 03:44 PM
Default pics as requested.

here it is, the 'Money Carlo',
I was thinking of going with "Munn E. Carlo' though.

1974, originally a 454 cid, and a Texas car til May 2007.

530HP, 580 ft/lbs torque, 700R4 trans , banch seat, column, auto.
2100 rpm @ 65mph,

8.5 mpg average during 'normal' driving (meaning not burning the tires off at lites but getting up to speed quickly with a coupla good chirps in the process..)
3.73 posi rear end - 10 bolt.

I need to upgrade both rear axle and trans to handle the HP. and I want to install a driveshaft safety loop.

as of now I only push 4grand rpm. Someday, when these weak parts behind the motor break we'll 'upgrade'...
for now-it is a fun one, on dry pavement..

The next issue to fix: a defroster that only blows heat at my feet.
Symptom: AC blows in Hi fan output only (at all fan settings) at foot and vents levels,
all other air (heat vent or defroster) blows only at foot level.

here in NY we need hot air on the glass this time of year

the vacuum ball is good (I know cuz I heardit 'puff' as I mistakenly broke the vucuum hose connector off. I removed, superglued, then added some Gorilla to filla/fix that ..

me thinks it's somewhere in the dashboard, no lites in the controller assy for the heat/AC/vents' either,

well, when the snow starts flying up here I'll jack stand her up and tear the dash apart to discover what surprises lurk in there..

suggestions always welcome.

for now she's driving on days without rain (snow/salt).

woo hoo,!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
money carlo 006_2.JPG (59.5 KB, 32 views)
money carlo 008_2.JPG (55.7 KB, 35 views)
money carlo 011_2.jpg (67.0 KB, 33 views)
money carlo 012_2.JPG (46.2 KB, 31 views)
Old 12-01-2013, 03:40 AM

Im having this problem right now. I have a 74 as well 350 CID. I don't have the factory tach though. But the bulbs on my Speedometer and gas gage don't work. Everything else dims or lights up like it should. I ordered a new circuit so I guess I will see how it goes.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:40 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Heres my thought....
Have you checked out the back of the fuse block?... Moisture,heat and electricity is a breeding ground for corroeted connections! Via the interior side or even where it plugs in thru the fire wall.. Also be sure to check all the grounds..even a bad or missing body ground strap will cause i'll or non functioning lights. Just a little food for thought...Since its been thru some major changes thru some other hands at work... Its definitely worth chaseing down... Electrical isn't my strong suit.... But I am an old school guy that has a lot of experience when it comes to older electrical issues...
I would probably check the net for a wireing diagrahm for your Monte !

Hope this helps!
Good Luck..
Keeps us informed with what you find/figure out what the missing link was/is.