Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

07 SS Svc traction control, Abs, Brake assist

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 10:59 AM
Default 07 SS Svc traction control, Abs, Brake assist

The "service traction control and service brake assist " appeared and then when out. Not long after that the traction control icon appeared. A few months ago, the right front wheel bearing hub was changed do to slop in the front end and noise. I jacked the front end up and checked the wheel hub bearings again and found the left front to be bad. Two days later, the ABS icon came on. The wheel bearing was covered under the powertrain warranty (5yrs, 100,000 miles). The electronic brake control module was not. Well, I am not paying $1,000.00 to a dealer to fix. Complex things sometimes need simple fixes. I disconnected the connector off of the Brake Control Unit, cleaned it with contact cleaner and reconnected it. I tapped on the brake control unit with the handle of a hammer. There must have been a stuck switch or sensor in the brake control unit. The icons have disapaired and the messages have not come back. A couple little friendly taps have taken care of the problems.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have all the above going on right now, actually for the last 3 months, but haven't done anything to it I've read so many different things and I'm at the point of trying to figure it out myself, I hope.... the ABS/Trac control came on briefly then went out and came back on and off a couple times, but they have been on continuously for a long time now. There is no noise coming from the wheel bearing, so I think it is just a dirty speed sensor? I need to get the time and space to try and disconnect it and clean the sensors like you did and hopefully that will maybe fix it? My biggest issue is having a place to work on my car

How exactly do you check the wheel bearings? I've been told to raise the front wheels and do the 12 and 6 position and see if there is forward and backwards play in them. I haven't noticed any noise coming from the bearing though, so I'm hoping it is just the ABS speed sensors that may be dirty?

Also, how exactly do the sensors disconnect and/or is it the same thing as the brake control unit? Could you please explain this better to me

Thank you

Mr. Flintstone........

ps: I know I've brought this up before on the forum and sorry for reposting and asking the same questions again, but I think the above thread may have sold me on the fix, I hope

Old 10-06-2010, 08:16 AM

You are correct in the way to check the wheel bearings. There should be no play at all in the bearing. 6 and 12, 3 and 9 oclock position with the wheel off of the ground. I don't have a way to check the sensor. It is enclosed in the wheel bearing. If the front wheel bearings are bad and you have less than 100,000 miles and the car is 2007, the front bearings will be covered under the powertrain warranty. I am not sure about 05, 06 models. The brake control module connector is on the bottom fwd (front) side of the unit. There is a grey lever that has to be rotated inboard to outboard. You will have to wiggle the connector off. I did this several times. (I am assuming the set up is the same on all 07 Montes).

The wheel bearing sensor connector is a weather tight connector. The locking mechanism has to be released. Usually just pulled up. The second locking tab should be a push in or lift over type. Then just pull the connector apart. Be careful not to pull on the wires. Gm has had problems in 02 and 03 of the wiring harness rubbing on the frame. Take a look over and check the harness.

I am not a car mechanic but I hate spending alot of money at the dealer or repair shop on items that I can fix myself. I know information is hard to find and equipment to read all the codes can be costly. OBDII scanners aren't to bad but they only read engine codes. The body and chassis codes need a different scan tool. The Tech 2 scanner that GM uses is quite expensive for a home Mech to buy. I haven't had the test of time yet but so far so good.

I do go to the public library to look info up. The library has access to Aldata (Alldata) manuals, which also includes service bulliten and recalls or Mitchell manuals. I have not yet found wiring diagrams for the 07 yet. Those can really be helpful.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:37 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

thanks for the info and explanation on this. I may be asking a couple more questions when I get a chance to get at the problem.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:25 PM

Well, I took the test of time and failed. The service traction control, service brake assist, ABS light on, reappeared. This time it was more predictable. I got the DICs mostly when I made a left turn. I popped the connectors off of the front wheel speed sensors and check the wiring from the connector to the brake control module. It didn't take long to find the problem. About 3" from the connector on the left side, where the loop is, I found the yellow wire was fatigued. I soldiered the wires together and reinstalled all the stuff I took apart. Started up the car and took it for a test drive. There were no chimes or DIC messages! Now it's back to testing time.

Last edited by Fred Fintstone; 10-20-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-01-2020, 04:50 PM
Default Same Here

Same Here, well kind of. The Service Traction Control and Service Brake Assist along with the ABS light on and lastly the traction control "off" light has been on my 07 SS for a while now. I remember having the wheel hubs in 2000 MC SS being changed before. I missed that mechanic , he was fair and made sure your car was fixed. Now back to my 07. Recently I had the gearshift linkage fixed, then my car gave me a the P0335 code-crank sensor. Had that changed. Car still going crazy. Took it to dealer they the PCM needs to be changed having that worked on as we speak. Last update is that the harness to the transmission started shorting and the instrument panel started going crazy. The dealer also share with me the instrument panel may be connected to the speed sensor. When the Tech moved the speed sensor harness at the vehicle stalled. Now is the speed sensor separate from the wheel hub or do I replace the hubs and harnesses?

Old 05-16-2020, 10:51 AM
Default Speed Sensor

This issue was rectified and it was an easy fix. The speed sensor on the left front wheel came loose and was rubbing against the axle. I had a mechanic plug the sensor back in and all warning lights turned off.