Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

07 SS rough start with K&N

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 07:12 PM
Default 07 SS rough start with K&N

I recently had the dealership replace the oil pan gasket that was leaking on my 07 SS. After the repair, I've noticed the car idles rough until warm. I have the K&N cold air and filter. The car didn't start bad before the repair.
Any ideas? The weather has been cooler than normal here in Florida which is roughly the same time frame since the repair. Not sure if the correlation between the cooler weather and K&N would have this effect, but the rough starts make me nervous that there could be a bigger problem that the dealership may have caused during repair. Any ideas?

Last edited by blondeguy64; 03-10-2010 at 07:18 PM. Reason: put in wrong section
Old 03-10-2010, 07:20 PM

not to down GM again, and free repairs are nice and all, but for my money id go aftermarket for ALL repairs. yeah ok that part broke at 30,ooo too, let me replace it with another one, and another one in three years.

as for the intake, is it new.

make sure when you install it that you clean all seals b4 connecting them with rubbing alcohal.

im not sure if k&n comes pre-oiled, but if you had to oil dont over do it.

im just going to through this out there, but if you were leaking a lot of oil, your engine or pump could have sufford in the process.

5w30 in the winter
10w30 in the summer

but its basicly summer year round down there. GL

Old 03-10-2010, 07:24 PM

also make sure your pluged in all electrical connections like maf senor. and re strapped all wires to there proper locations.

it wouldnt surprize me if they drained your old oil and re-used it.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:38 PM

hay blond i live down here in florida as well i just got the cold air inductions cold air system and nothing is wrong with mine. if you had to take yours to the dealer for a oil leak from the pan they might have needed to unplug some sensors to do the work. or some thing was hooked up all wrong some where. if you put oil on the filter when you got the new k&n set up you over oiled it. i have the k&n as well when you first get the filter it is already pre oiled. reclean it when you have the day off do it early in the morning to get all the extra oil off because it is acting like it is cloged do to over oil. if you cleaned the filter and let dry for 7 hours at least and reoiled it very lightly with the oil from k&n. if it still idols wiered till warmed up it would be like a maf or the map is needing to be cleaned or replaced. but i am not sure when i had a rough idol when i first started mymonte i had to replaced the maf and a knock sensor after that no rough idol incloding a coil pack. if any go back to the dealer and say wtf there isa bad cold start idol there when there wasent one befor you did the work. also contact gmconsumer hot line as well. saying the dealer you took your monte to broke your car and mention a law firm as well gm will jump all over the dealer ship befor you get an answer with in 2 hrs

Old 03-10-2010, 07:41 PM

oh i forgot to say i hope you didnt go to the dealer with the col air system from K&N because they will say it is abuse do to driver i hope you put on your stock air box

Old 03-10-2010, 07:44 PM

they will void every thing and will make sure to put a bad tune in it till you put back the stock air box. that is one of the resons why i got let go from the auto shop i worked at did they were a mr goodwrench an afeleat to gm and they have a right to do a bad tune on a car if it has a warrenty. then they will void it when you come back with a problem i hope you had your stock air dox in