Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

7th Gen ('06-'07): 06ss Dealer Visit - should I?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 12:21 PM
1 Year Member
Default 06ss Dealer Visit - should I?

My 06 SS is about to hit 100,000 kms (62,000 miles)
I've had it for 2 and half years and got it when it had 70,000kms.
And I don't have any service records from its past.

Its all good, but should I bring it to a GM dealer for a going-over or 100km maintenance?
I never have brought it to a GM dealer, all the oil changes and small repairs I've done myself.

Do these cars have a recommended GM Dealer maintenance schedule?

Old 08-13-2013, 04:33 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yes they do but at 62k you only need to change the oil and filters

2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Required Maintenance
What does Maintenance I and Maintenance II mean? Maintenance I is the group of services that you are encouraged to have during your first maintenance visit, while Maintenance II is the group of services that are encouraged during your second visit. It is then recommended that you alternate between Maintenance I and Maintenance II for all subsequent visits.

Service MI MII
Change engine oil and filter. See Engine Oil. Reset oil life system. See Engine Oil Life System. An Emission Control Service. x x
Visually check for any leaks or damage. See footnote (k). x x
Inspect engine air cleaner filter. If necessary, replace filter. See Engine Air Cleaner/Filter. See footnote (m). x
Rotate tires and check inflation pressures and wear. See Tire Inspection and Rotation and "Tire Wear Inspection" in At Least Once a Month. x x
Inspect brake system. See footnote (a). x x
Check engine coolant and windshield washer fluid levels and add fluid as needed. x x
Perform any needed additional services. See "Additional Required Services" in this section. x x
Inspect suspension and steering components. See footnote (b). x
Inspect engine cooling system. See footnote (c). x
Inspect wiper blades. See footnote (d). x
Inspect restraint system components. See footnote (e). x
Lubricate body components. See footnote (f). x
Check transmission fluid level and add fluid as needed. x
Replace passenger compartment air filter, if equipped. See footnote (g). x
Inspect throttle system. See footnote (j). x
The following services should be performed at the first maintenance service (I or II) after the indicated miles(kilometers)shown for each item.
Service and Kilometers 40000 80000 120000 160000 200000 240000
Inspect fuel system for damage or leaks. x x x x x x
Inspect exhaust system for loose or damaged components. x x x x x x
Replace engine air cleaner filter. See Engine Air Cleaner/Filter . x x x
Change automatic transmission fluid and filter (severe service). See footnote (h). x x x
Change automatic transmission fluid and filter (normal service). x
Replace spark plugs and inspect spark plug wires. An Emission Control Service. x
Engine cooling system service (or every five years, whichever occurs first). An Emission Control Service. See footnote (i). x
Inspect engine accessory drive belt. An Emission Control Service. See footnote (n). x
Maintenance Footnotes
2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
† The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency or the California Air Resources Board has determined that the failure to perform this maintenance item will not nullify the emission warranty or limit recall liability prior to the completion of the vehicle's useful life. We, however, urge that all recommended maintenance services be performed at the indicated intervals and the maintenance be recorded.
a Visually inspect brake lines and hoses for proper hook-up, binding, leaks, cracks, chafing, etc. Inspect disc brake pads for wear and rotors for surface condition. Inspect other brake parts, including calipers, parking brake, etc.
b Visually inspect front and rear suspension and steering system for damaged, loose, or missing parts or signs of wear. Inspect power steering lines and hoses for proper hook-up, binding, leaks, cracks, chafing, etc.
c Visually inspect hoses and have them replaced if they are cracked, swollen, or deteriorated. Inspect all pipes, fittings, and clamps; replace with genuine parts as needed. To help ensure proper operation, a pressure test of the cooling system and pressure cap and cleaning the outside of the radiator and air conditioning condenser is recommended at least once a year.
d Inspect wiper blades for wear, cracking, or contamination. Clean the windshield and wiper blades, if contaminated. Replace wiper blades that are worn or damaged. See Windshield Wiper Blade Replacement and Windshield and Wiper Blades for more information.
e Make sure the safety belt reminder light and all belts, buckles, latch plates, retractors, and anchorages are working properly. Look for any other loose or damaged safety belt system parts. If you see anything that might keep a safety belt system from doing its job, have it repaired. Have any torn or frayed safety belts replaced. Also look for any opened or broken airbag coverings, and have them repaired or replaced. The airbag system does not need regular maintenance.
f Lubricate all key lock cylinders. Lubricate all hinges and latches, including those for the body doors, hood, secondary latch, pivots, spring anchor, release pawl, rear compartment, glove box door, console door, and any folding seat hardware. More frequent lubrication may be required when exposed to a corrosive environment. Applying silicone grease on weatherstrips with a clean cloth will make them last longer, seal better, and not stick or squeak.
g If you drive regularly under dusty conditions, the filter may require replacement more often.
h Change automatic transmission fluid and filter if the vehicle is mainly driven under one or more of these conditions:
In heavy city traffic where the outside temperature regularly reaches 90°F or higher.
In hilly or mountainous terrain.
When doing frequent trailer towing.
Uses such as found in taxi, police, or delivery service.
i Drain, flush, and refill cooling system. This service can be complex; you should have your dealer/retailer perform this service. See Engine Coolant for what to use. Inspect hoses. Clean radiator, condenser, pressure cap, and filler neck. Pressure test the cooling system and pressure cap.
j Check throttle system for interference or binding and for damaged or missing parts. Replace parts as needed. Replace any components that have high effort or excessive wear. Do not lubricate accelerator or cruise control cables.
k A fluid loss in any vehicle system could indicate a problem. Have the system inspected and repaired and the fluid level checked. Add fluid if needed.
m If you drive regularly under dusty conditions, inspect the filter at each engine oil change.
n Visually inspect belt for fraying, excessive cracks, or obvious damage. Replace belt if necessary.

Old 08-14-2013, 03:39 PM
1 Year Member

Thanks Mels!
Just what I was looking for.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:52 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Anytime