Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

7th Gen ('06-'07): '06 SS trans problems - P0741 code

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 11:18 PM
Default '06 SS trans problems - P0741 code

Ok, this is a long one, but I'm trying to provide as much info as possible.
I had my trans rebuilt when it went out on me at 67,000 miles. Since then I've had a cooler line leak and 2 seal leaks - the second of which my trans shop said didn't exist until I brought it back with pictures to prove it. They finally went in and took care of it.
The car was driving better than ever...for a few days. As I was getting on the expressway, there was a clunk while it hesitated and then jerked into gear.
I got where I had to go without another incident, but the same thing happened on my return trip, only now the service engine light came on.
I took it to my mechanic buddy and he ran the code - it was the P0741 code, the torque converter clutch system.
The next day I took it back to the trans shop - they said there was nothing wrong with the trans and it was shifting normal. They cleared the code, said it was probably something electrical and I probably needed a trans control module - about $400. They told me to drive it and see if it comes back on and if I have the same shifting issues.
A few trips later, on the expressway, it did it again.
This time the service engine light went on, but then off after being on for my trip out and back, but now a whirring sound starts whenever I accelerate.
So, back to the trans shop - they drove it around after checking for the code (they said there were none) and said it was shifting great and that the whirring was engine noise (tho it doesn't happen when I put my foot on the gas when stopped or in park). They took me along on the test drive, and sure enough it was shifting fine, but the whirring was still there. They said there's nothing wrong with the trans and to bring it back if the SES comes and/or I'm having the shifting problems again.
It didn't sit right with me and that whirring was bugging me, so I got a 2nd opinion at the Chevy Dealer.
I told them what had been happening and about the code. About an hour and a half later they came to me with the bad news - they said they dropped the trans pan and found it full of metal from the torque converter, and that the torque converter was coming apart internally, trans filled with metal. They said they can put a gm certified trans in for $3180.
Well considering it's still under warranty with the trans shop for another 4500 miles, I said no thanks, I'm bringing it back to the trans shop first thing in the morning.
I drove it all around that evening, on the expressway up to 80 mph, and had no problems other than the whirring noise.
The next morning, I showed the trans guy the dealer shop's diagnosis - he said they're just trying to sell me a $3100 trans, and that if there is a problem, it's something electrical. He told me there's no way it's the torque converter because there would be a constant, loud whining and it would've died on me frequently. He says to prove it, they're going to have me bring it next week and they'll drop the pan with me there.
So that's where I'm at now - I don't trust either one right now. The trans shop may be trying to see if it goes over the warranty miles so they won't have to honor it, and the dealer may be trying to sucker me in for a trans when it may be something else at a fraction of the cost. I'm just waiting to see what happens Tuesday when I bring it back.
Does anybody have any thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited by Boxer7570; 09-07-2013 at 11:24 PM.