Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

06 Monte Carlo SS Coolant pours out as fast as I pour it in

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 12:03 AM
Default 06 Monte Carlo SS Coolant pours out as fast as I pour it in

Hey everyone I'm new here and in desperate need of some help. My girlfriends 06 Monte SS absolutely WILL NOT hold coolant when poured in on the engine side. As fast as you pour it in it comes out. She thought it was the water pump and wanted it replaced so me and my brother did it, and it's not a particularly easy job on this model. Finish that pour the coolant in and pours straight out of the bottom. I noticed it wasn't drawing off the reservoir either. I tried getting under the car to see where the leak was coming from, but there is absolutely no room to see anything, and when antifreeze is pouring in your face that also make things a little difficult. So I guess I'm looking for suggestions as to what/where it could possibly be and a solution.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:08 AM

Either giant hole in radiator or maybe the lower hose came off or ripped. Check on what side it pours from, take a flashlight and from the top feel your way around for traces of coolant. If you are having that hard of a time seeing under the car jack one tire up or drive the front wheels on to a curb and look from the middle behind the front wheels you'll be able to fit your entire head and you won't have coolant all over your face.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Habbibie
Either giant hole in radiator or maybe the lower hose came off or ripped. Check on what side it pours from, take a flashlight and from the top feel your way around for traces of coolant. If you are having that hard of a time seeing under the car jack one tire up or drive the front wheels on to a curb and look from the middle behind the front wheels you'll be able to fit your entire head and you won't have coolant all over your face.
It pours out on the passenger side. I have the entire front end on jack stands. I don't want to keep pouring dex-cool in, its getting rather expensive, would it cause any harm to use just water to locate the leak since it's not holding anything anyways?

Old 08-19-2015, 04:16 PM

Water is fine for now it's summer so no worry about freezing. Where are you putting the coolant in the radiator or the over flow tank? Is you lower Jose located on the passabger side? Did the radiator drain cap come loose maybe or fell off? Take the skid pad (plastic barrier) under the radiator off that will help you pin point the exact location of the leak. If all checks out it might be the radiator it self has a hole... It's possible.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Habbibie
Water is fine for now it's summer so no worry about freezing. Where are you putting the coolant in the radiator or the over flow tank? Is you lower Jose located on the passabger side? Did the radiator drain cap come loose maybe or fell off? Take the skid pad (plastic barrier) under the radiator off that will help you pin point the exact location of the leak. If all checks out it might be the radiator it self has a hole... It's possible.
I added directly to radiator. Couldn't really see much of the radiator to locate the drain cap. The hoses are all connected, and can't tell whether or not they split. I'll pull the skid plate off and see if that helps opening up some lines of sight. Like I said in the original post, it's my girlfriends car and I'm new to working on Monte Carlo's and really appreciate the suggestions and insight.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:20 PM

Radiator is cracked

Old 08-19-2015, 08:07 PM

Well... Now you know, it's the worst problem sadly (most labor intensive one) but don't feel bad bro I actually been riding with a cracked radiator for a month now. It leaks out a full gallon of water for every hour of driving. So you're not the only one lol. You can keep driving with water alone for a couple more months of $$ is an issue or if you're like me and don't wanna do the labor yet. Just keep adding water lol