Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

04 ls will not start

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 02:39 PM
Unhappy 04 ls will not start

hey guys, new here kinda looked around (at work, cant look to much) but i did not see this. But i just bought an 04 ls (not even 2 months) and last night, i go to get into my car, put the key in, turn it, lights, radio and everything comes on, then i go to start it. Everything turns off, no clicking, nothing..i tried cleaning the starter cables. I only had a wrench, no wire brush, and that didn't seem to work. Any ideas on what it could be besides the starter? i thought i read somewhere that a new key may work, i have 2 others i have yet to try. if its the starter, its the starter..its just that its out in the open at my buddys apt. raining, and i def need my car to get me back and forth to work this weekend. oh yeah, and last week the "security" light on the dash would come on from time to time...sometimes when i start the car, sometimes after i start driving, and sometimes not at all. any help would be appreciated guys. Thank You.

Last edited by streetbum87; 05-01-2009 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:50 AM

i had tried the new/different key thing, and this worked for about 2 days, and yesterday when i went to start it, nothing. now this morning, i try again...turn the key, lights, radio, dash and everything start working. then i goto start it, everything cuts out and nothing. i do this a couple times and then on the third fourth try, it works, started right up? is this a starter problem or a passlock problem?

Old 05-04-2009, 11:00 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

sounds like a passlock issue to me also

Dustybird is our forum pro about that, I hope chime in soon

Old 05-04-2009, 11:09 AM

thanks dude...its just really frustrating, i havent even had it for 2 months and this happens... and on top of that, im supposed to go see The Dead tomorrow, and as of now, no car.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:33 PM

Hi StreetBum,
Check out below link & Read Dustybird3 posts, & if it's not
what you need ? Check out the MCF Search Engine.
Got 2 get it runn'in 4 the Dead

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=13424
click

Old 05-04-2009, 02:29 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

LOL, yall kill me. That's something I'd rather not be a "pro" at, but been there, done that more than once.

I'd almost guarantee it's your Passlock. Time for a new Passlock/ignition cylinder.

Did you happen to notice "security" flashing in your message center? It probably was, I didn't notice it the first time either, LOL. When, not if, it happens again, and it WILL, leave your key turned to "on", the security light will flash (battery, security, security, battery), leave it "on" TEN minutes, not a second less. It will quit flashing (it may still go security, battery, security, battery but not security back to back), then turn "off", then start.

If the security light is coming on when driving, it's telling you it's not working right.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:19 AM

Thanks guys, dusty I didn’t notice it flashing, but it had come on. I haven’t been fortunate enough to be able to try the 10 min deal but we shall see. Also, what would be the most economical way to get this fixed so I don’t have to deal with the hassle?

Old 05-05-2009, 09:28 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

make shoure your battery has enuff charge to crank the starter. my monte did the same, i left the ignition on and the DRLs drained it enuff so the radio & lights worked but the starter just went clik clik clik clik.... might as well check that B-4 you do the pass key deal

Old 05-05-2009, 10:45 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

If it's the Passlock, the starter won't click. If it clicks, I'd check for something else.

I had a mechanic friend change mine. You can do it yourself but after seeing half my dash pulled out to get to it, I'm glad we didn't try it. If you do it yourself, be sure to get it tumbled to fit your key or you'll have different keys for door and ignition. Also, you'll have to go through the relearn procedure - do the ten minute thing three times (on ten minutes, off, on ten minutes, off, on ten minutes, off, start)

Old 05-08-2009, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by skylark65
make shoure your battery has enuff charge to crank the starter. my monte did the same, i left the ignition on and the DRLs drained it enuff so the radio & lights worked but the starter just went clik clik clik clik.... might as well check that B-4 you do the pass key deal
I agree with Skylark. I had a Chevy that did the same thing. make sure those terminals are on tight too.

Quick Reply: 04 ls will not start