Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

04 Coolant Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 09:04 PM
Default RE: 04 Coolant Issues

here is a thought not sure if they still sell them or where to get them but im sure you can find them somewhere

they at one time had some FLex hoses that were steel or aluminum. Wonder if you could get them for the Monte carlos? they wernt cheap but they would last forever damed near and the only thing you have to change for them is a short rubber collor at the front nd back of the hose where it connected to the Rad, or the block
those ould be nice for the montes and also a cheap replacement int he long run,

Old 05-29-2005, 10:46 PM

I'll bet ya Summit has some kits. But it would be really cool to have a set custom made..

A dress up kit of sorts..

TVW

Old 05-29-2005, 11:56 PM

ORIGINAL: mickey

but there is also somethign that you have to think about is there are several ways ffor it to become contaminated not just because your taking it to a jiffy lube.

I have had to fill mine up and could not find the stuff at teh gas station i was at granted the leveal was not somethign i had to worry about and i added a bit of water and it was fine and still doing its job .
btu there are times when you have to add somethign to it and they dont sell dexcrap

Im sorry there is enough stuff i carry with me while on the road i dont need to add a gallon of dexcrap tat can leak with me.

Besides if they come out with the sythetc that is worth it i will change to it more then likely why? it is better for the life of the car and motor,

Here is one for ya, i dont use the oil they say i should ethier i have royal purpel in the trans to. and Mobil one full synthetic. so there ya go i have ruined it but still what i want .
So of the several ways for it to become contaminated, you give one, which basically boils down to you not wanting to carry some with you. That's pretty logical

I don't have to think about that situation cause I've never been in a situation like that in the 15 years I've been driving and knowing that I have a special coolant that may not be available everywhere, I made sure to grab some the day after I bought my car.

I don't care what you guys do, I'm just trying to understand why. Mickey, if you're gonna make a point, at least make a logical one. Your last comments were pretty ridiculous. Why do you think I'd care what you use in your engine or tranny? You could **** in em if you thought that works better for all I care. My thing with this coolant issue is that I am wanting to know why you guys are so worried about it that you want to switch over when there isn't a single case that any of us are aware of that shows a failure of dexcool when it's changed in the appropriate intervals, not cross contaminated and maintained at the appropriate level. I will make the change too once I see otherwise.

Old 05-30-2005, 12:26 AM

ORIGINAL: tvanwinklehome

The issues w/dexcool were due to it being contaminated w/the green stuff, not being kept at a acceptable level, and not being flushed and filled at the appropriate intervals(thanks to chevy saying it lasted 5 times longer than reality)

I guess im not understanding the logic here. I haven't heard of one case where the coolant was maintained like it should be and still caused issues
That's not entirely true.

PH seems to be the problem with Dexcool and it's breaking down to corrosive material. Although in most of the stories noted that failure was noticed 40K and up when did the actual break down occur? It takes some time to eat through hoses and gaskets.

Don't change it, I don't care. But I will work on those DIY's for ya just in case. lol

TVW
For me, since I do my own maintenance, I don't think this is a necessary step. I can keep the level where it should be, etc. And for those of you who have and are gonna keep DexCool, you may want to check this out

DexCool tips to avoiding coolant issues

Old 06-01-2005, 09:11 PM

Thanks everyone for the input!!!! I am glad there are people like you out there.
04monteLS, on the tranny issue, that sounds exactly like mine!! Can you let me know what the dealership tells you?

Sorry I havent replied in so long, I was on vacation. Thanks again everyone!!!!

Old 06-02-2005, 03:39 AM

ORIGINAL: GTown

Thanks everyone for the input!!!! I am glad there are people like you out there.
04monteLS, on the tranny issue, that sounds exactly like mine!! Can you let me know what the dealership tells you?

Sorry I havent replied in so long, I was on vacation. Thanks again everyone!!!!
Will do. I won't be taking it in to the shop for a few weeks though, like the end of June. But once I do I'll let you know how it went, hopefully it'll be just as pleasant and productive as when I took it in for my cd player issue.

Old 10-10-2005, 12:06 AM

04MonteLS, Did you take your car into the shop? I was wondering what the dealership told you about the coolant and the tranny issues?

Old 10-10-2005, 02:04 AM

ORIGINAL: GTown

04MonteLS, Did you take your car into the shop? I was wondering what the dealership told you about the coolant and the tranny issues?
I went to drop it off yesterday, there was a little mix up so I ended up keeping it with the anticipation of getting a phone call to bring it back so I could leave it with them and take home an Implala loaner........I never got the phone call[:@]

I'll talk to them this week to see if we can get this taken care of

Old 10-10-2005, 05:59 PM

I'm here at the dealer turning my car in, just waiting for them to bring my rental.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Old 10-12-2005, 12:20 AM

Thanks for keeping me posted LS!!

Quick Reply: 04 Coolant Issues