Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

04 Coolant Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 02:16 AM
Default RE: 04 Coolant Issues

Well, I checked the link and did not find anything compelling me to want to make the switch. I see a few solutions to this "problem"

1. Check coolant level and top off as needed at least once a month, or like I do, at every fill up.

2. Flush and fill the coolant system every 30k miles.

3. If you insist on having Jiffy Lube do your oil changes, bring to their attention that your car takes Dexcool

The only benefit to having regular antifreeze is, oh, wow, there isn't one. Unless not worrying about Jiffy Lube techs contaminating your system by adding anti freeze to your existing dexcool is considered a benefit.

Old 05-29-2005, 05:16 AM

well considerign i do all the work on my car other then what needs to be taken care of by a dealer. I could care less about jiffy lube they arent here anyway LOL

But the thing of it is Dex cool is suposed to last for a longer period of time then the green My thing is i can get ewrthiere one i just one that will work I could care lkess what color it is. I do not however what system leaks. Not sure how old you are or how much you have been around older cars but i can tell you a system leack is not a good thing

look at a hot piston that has gotten aintfreez throwen on to it at the wrong time and you will understand why i say this.

most do not relise that a system leack can be dangurous to you as a driver not ust a inconveinance. Belive me when you shater pistons it is not a fun thing to have happen.

Did this once but it was due toa bad fogger and cause me to blow to pistons threw the hood of a race car. still not fun cathcin hot piostons

Old 05-29-2005, 05:23 AM

ORIGINAL: mickey

well considerign i do all the work on my car other then what needs to be taken care of by a dealer. I could care less about jiffy lube they arent here anyway LOL

But the thing of it is Dex cool is suposed to last for a longer period of time then the green My thing is i can get ewrthiere one i just one that will work I could care lkess what color it is. I do not however what system leaks. Not sure how old you are or how much you have been around older cars but i can tell you a system leack is not a good thing

look at a hot piston that has gotten aintfreez throwen on to it at the wrong time and you will understand why i say this.

most do not relise that a system leack can be dangurous to you as a driver not ust a inconveinance. Belive me when you shater pistons it is not a fun thing to have happen.

Did this once but it was due toa bad fogger and cause me to blow to pistons threw the hood of a race car. still not fun cathcin hot piostons
please use spell check, your posts are hard as hell to read, let alone understand.

Old 05-29-2005, 12:05 PM

please use spell check, your posts are hard as hell to read, let alone understand.

Taht wloud be esay if we had slpel cchek....

Back to the topic...... Dexcool is a gasket eater when the PH goes out of wack. The life expectancy of this stuff is not what were being sold. I'm switching.

I guess I better get together the how to replace your head and intake gaskets thread.

lol TVW

Old 05-29-2005, 02:25 PM

ORIGINAL: tvanwinklehome

Taht wloud be esay if we had slpel cchek....

Back to the topic...... Dexcool is a gasket eater when the PH goes out of wack. The life expectancy of this stuff is not what were being sold. I'm switching.

I guess I better get together the how to replace your head and intake gaskets thread.

lol TVW

We all realize what the realistic life expectancy of this stuff is now so it shouldn't be an issue anymore. Show me one case of where the owner flushed and filled the system at 30k intervals and kept it topped off in between and still had cooling issues. Just 1. I think Chevy dropped the ball when they claimed the ridiculous life expectancy of this stuff early on and should pick up the tab for the repairs that ensued when people went 75,80,100k miles before changing it. I hope the class action lawsuits are successful and Chevy has to pay up.
But why are you switching when if changed out and maintained like regular anti freeze systems, it's just fine?

Old 05-29-2005, 04:55 PM

The choice is simple for me. The standard green stuff has a long history of limited problems, Dexcool in it's very short life span has shown to cause serious issues. What's going on with this stuff that were not aware of.

It's your choice and you'll have to run with what your comfortable with as I know you will anyway.

I'm playing it safe and converting now before we find out the other unknown side effect of using this stuff.

TVW

Old 05-29-2005, 06:07 PM

i will also be changing mine here in agout 16000 miles LOL
let this warenty run out seem my car will be having issues that i will have to take it in for so i will cange it the day i hit over the warrenty

Old 05-29-2005, 06:27 PM

ORIGINAL: tvanwinklehome

The choice is simple for me. The standard green stuff has a long history of limited problems, Dexcool in it's very short life span has shown to cause serious issues. What's going on with this stuff that were not aware of.

It's your choice and you'll have to run with what your comfortable with as I know you will anyway.

I'm playing it safe and converting now before we find out the other unknown side effect of using this stuff.

TVW
The issues w/dexcool were due to it being contaminated w/the green stuff, not being kept at a acceptable level, and not being flushed and filled at the appropriate intervals(thanks to chevy saying it lasted 5 times longer than reality)

I guess im not understanding the logic here. I haven't heard of one case where the coolant was maintained like it should be and still caused issues

Old 05-29-2005, 06:41 PM

but there is also somethign that you have to think about is there are several ways ffor it to become contaminated not just because your taking it to a jiffy lube.

I have had to fill mine up and could not find the stuff at teh gas station i was at granted the leveal was not somethign i had to worry about and i added a bit of water and it was fine and still doing its job .
btu there are times when you have to add somethign to it and they dont sell dexcrap

Im sorry there is enough stuff i carry with me while on the road i dont need to add a gallon of dexcrap tat can leak with me.

Besides if they come out with the sythetc that is worth it i will change to it more then likely why? it is better for the life of the car and motor,

Here is one for ya, i dont use the oil they say i should ethier i have royal purpel in the trans to. and Mobil one full synthetic. so there ya go i have ruined it but still what i want .

Old 05-29-2005, 08:38 PM

The issues w/dexcool were due to it being contaminated w/the green stuff, not being kept at a acceptable level, and not being flushed and filled at the appropriate intervals(thanks to chevy saying it lasted 5 times longer than reality)

I guess im not understanding the logic here. I haven't heard of one case where the coolant was maintained like it should be and still caused issues
That's not entirely true.

PH seems to be the problem with Dexcool and it's breaking down to corrosive material. Although in most of the stories noted that failure was noticed 40K and up when did the actual break down occur? It takes some time to eat through hoses and gaskets.

Don't change it, I don't care. But I will work on those DIY's for ya just in case. lol

TVW

Quick Reply: 04 Coolant Issues