Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

04 Coolant Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 07:03 AM
Default RE: 04 Coolant Issues

ORIGINAL: mickey

that depends if it is amatter of flushing a system and changing the fluids then no it would be well worth not having the leacks and the related issues with this crap.
they have already found out that it is eatting the hoses from the inside out on some cars this alone is not a good thing I can tell ya right now those heater hoses dont look fun to have to figure out how to replace on the side of a road
I doubt it would be that simple

Old 05-28-2005, 07:16 AM

hence the question dont know till we ask

Old 05-28-2005, 10:31 AM

I've heard of many switching over to the green stuff with no problems. I am thinking of switching over in a month or so when I get my system flushed. If your car is fairly new I would not worry about changing hoses after the switch over unless and inspection of a hose in the system shows signs of degradation.

TVW

Old 05-28-2005, 12:33 PM

ORIGINAL: tvanwinklehome

I've heard of many switching over to the green stuff with no problems. I am thinking of switching over in a month or so when I get my system flushed. If your car is fairly new I would not worry about changing hoses after the switch over unless and inspection of a hose in the system shows signs of degradation.

TVW
you guys are braver than me. Good luck. And I hope your car isn't under warranty when you do this cause surely they'll have an issue with it should you need any powertrain warranty repairs.

Old 05-28-2005, 01:09 PM

what was the issue with the coolant at hand here? i think that i missed the main thread here and i am completely lost. sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-28-2005, 02:08 PM

on my monte im running a newer serp belt system with the original vortec waterpump. the engine came out of a truck that ran dex and i put the vortec engine into an ice racer car i had, monte carloe of corse, and i didnt have any problems with running low tox in it. low tox is environmentaly friendly green. that engine is now in my 86 monte but anyways ive experianced now coolant problems with it. when i attended wyoming technical institute in laramie wyoming this was a subject that was pondered upon and the instructors explained to us that if you flushed the system properly you will have no problems with switching to green. at work ive ran into a few cases where people topped off their system and mixed green with the orange. we will usually flush the system any reinstall the orange. you can actually let this mix go but you will not have the "100000 mile" life of the dexcool. i do not foresee any problems with the change to green if you have the radiato, heater core, and block flushed thoroughly.

Old 05-28-2005, 02:13 PM

oh ok i was just asking to see what the hell was going on in here thanks for filling me in on it.

Old 05-29-2005, 12:24 AM

wow. pretty interesting stuff here. I think I'll stick w/the orange/red stuff.

Old 05-29-2005, 01:38 AM

What made your mind up on this one?

Well, some of these links might change your mind...

Link 1

Link 2

A word about DexCool Antifreeze

There is a class action suit pending against GM claiming that cooling systems were corroded and sludged up due to the extended life antifreeze Dexcool. Below is text from the lawsuit:

Dexcool was initially marketed as a long life universal automotive engine coolant that would last for 5 years or 100,000 miles of service. It is now marketed to last for 5 years or 150,000 miles of service. Manufacturers of traditional antifreeze / coolants generally market that their antifreeze / coolants will provide dependable thermal control and corrosion and rust protection for twenty-four (24) months or 30,000 miles. The major difference in Dexcool over traditional coolants is in the corrosion inhibitor protection. Traditional antifreeze / coolants contain inorganic salts of borate, phosphate, silicate and other chemicals to prevent rust and corrosion, whereas, Dexcool’s® corrosion inhibitor components, are based on organic acid technology (OAT). Dexcool is orange and traditional antifreeze is green.

I've done some research on the subject and found that the biggest problem seems to be contamination of Dexcool with regular antifreeze and running your cooling system low on coolant. Many systems get contaminated when owners get their oil changed at a quick lube which tops off all the fluids.

Old 05-29-2005, 02:02 AM

ORIGINAL: tvanwinklehome

What made your mind up on this one?

Well, some of these links might change your mind...

Link 1

Link 2

A word about DexCool Antifreeze

There is a class action suit pending against GM claiming that cooling systems were corroded and sludged up due to the extended life antifreeze Dexcool. Below is text from the lawsuit:

Dexcool was initially marketed as a long life universal automotive engine coolant that would last for 5 years or 100,000 miles of service. It is now marketed to last for 5 years or 150,000 miles of service. Manufacturers of traditional antifreeze / coolants generally market that their antifreeze / coolants will provide dependable thermal control and corrosion and rust protection for twenty-four (24) months or 30,000 miles. The major difference in Dexcool over traditional coolants is in the corrosion inhibitor protection. Traditional antifreeze / coolants contain inorganic salts of borate, phosphate, silicate and other chemicals to prevent rust and corrosion, whereas, Dexcool’s® corrosion inhibitor components, are based on organic acid technology (OAT). Dexcool is orange and traditional antifreeze is green.

I've done some research on the subject and found that the biggest problem seems to be contamination of Dexcool with regular antifreeze and running your cooling system low on coolant. Many systems get contaminated when owners get their oil changed at a quick lube which tops off all the fluids.

Well, it was never in question for me, and the quote you provided does nothing to sway me as it clearly states "the biggest problem seems to be contamination of Dexcool with regular antifreeze and running your cooling system low on coolant." Seeing as how I have common sense(which doesn't seem to be too common these days) I realize that the coolant in my system is orange, not green, therefore, I will make sure that any coolant I add to the system is orange(50/50 mix of Dexcool and filtered water). I will also check my fluid level at every gas tank fill up to ensure that I keep it at the appropriate level so as not to allow an issue to arise due to low coolant level. It also states "Many systems get contaminated when owners get their oil changed at a quick lube which tops off all the fluids." But considering that I do my own oil changes, this is a non issue.

I will check those links you provided in search of compelling reasons to change to regular anti-freeze

Quick Reply: 04 Coolant Issues