Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

03 serpentine belt tensioner bracket removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 10:15 PM
Default 03 serpentine belt tensioner bracket removal

Does the alternator have to come off to change the serpentine belt tensioner bracket ???? Also, I have read about the coolant elbows, any tips here on not breaking these ?? Any other tips from someone who has done this before ??

03, 3.8

Thanks !!

Old 03-14-2011, 08:49 PM

Anybody have any ideas here ???? I can't imagine it's never been done before !!

Old 03-15-2011, 11:14 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yes, the alternator will need to come out to remove that bracket (it's bolted to the bracket and will be in your way). As for the plastic elbows, they are about $5 from the autoparts store (look on the DorMan HELP rack). If you have to replace the tensioner, replace that elbow while you are at it (it's common for the elbows to break).

All you need to do is remove the belt, remove the altenator, I believe there are about 3 bolts left (they are hard to see, but you can feel for them and find them easily). Once you think you have them all out, try just wiggling/rocking the assembly, if it moves, odds are you found all the bolts. Just keep gently doing that (once or twice, I gently nudged it by prying with a large screw driver, but be VERY careful, you don't want to force this out, otherwise you may snap the plastic or cast aluminum elbow, and this adds time to the job).

Old 03-15-2011, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Yes, the alternator will need to come out to remove that bracket (it's bolted to the bracket and will be in your way). As for the plastic elbows, they are about $5 from the autoparts store (look on the DorMan HELP rack). If you have to replace the tensioner, replace that elbow while you are at it (it's common for the elbows to break).

All you need to do is remove the belt, remove the altenator, I believe there are about 3 bolts left (they are hard to see, but you can feel for them and find them easily). Once you think you have them all out, try just wiggling/rocking the assembly, if it moves, odds are you found all the bolts. Just keep gently doing that (once or twice, I gently nudged it by prying with a large screw driver, but be VERY careful, you don't want to force this out, otherwise you may snap the plastic or cast aluminum elbow, and this adds time to the job).
Thanks a lot for the reply !! I really appreciate it. I did a short term fix, (read as "got on the road again")of getting the tensioner pully to move again by turning it with a monkey wrench than working it until it loosed up. It looked like the alt. had to come off for a replacement. Good to know !!

Old 03-15-2011, 01:43 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would say all things go well, it's about a 20 minute job (that's being said as someone "been there, done that"). Allow yourself an hour so you can take your time. Should be not big thing! Good luck!

Old 03-15-2011, 04:47 PM

^Agree^ The Maniac is correct!