Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

'02 Monte Starts and Stalls when warm

Old 01-26-2016, 12:35 AM
Default '02 Monte Starts and Stalls when warm

Hey guys I am new but think this forum is great. Already having an issue I need guidance on, have not had any luck from the dealership so seeking my own answers.

Issue is when you go to start '02 3800 for the first time of the day or after it has sat awhile it will fire right up. But, if you shut it down and try to start it right back up or while its still warm you have to give it a small amout of gas pedal or it will not start. Problem started when car was missing down the road frequently at higher speeds (not good). Local Tech replaced the Mass Airflow Sensor and that definitely fixed engine miss but lead to the starting problem. No codes are associated just checked today. The dealer also replaced the Body Control Module and cleaned the throttle body which did nothing. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 01-26-2016, 11:20 AM

I am not much of a mechanic but I had the same problem in my '02 SS recently. I replaced the CSS and cleaned the MAS. That solved the stalling issue. The rough/no-start-when-hot went away when I replaced the Fuel Pressure Regulator.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:54 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If I follow, the car began miss firing, a tech diagnosed it as a MAF, replaced the MAF, fixed the miss and this problem now began?

I don't *think* the MAF can cause this, but stranger things are known to happen and it's late on a long day for me. My gut says, look into the MAF. My first question is, what brand MAF is it? If it's not AC Delco (which is OEM), I would heavily consider swapping it out. Too many people have had weird experiences with non-AC Delco MAF sensors over the years.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:25 PM

Thanks for the info gentlemen. Jason I think you may be right about the Aftermarket MAF so doing some research online. Pretty hard just to verify a part number unless you know where to look but I found AC Delco #213-4337 (hope this is right for a 3800). I will stop being cheap and replace that, clean the Idle Control Sensor with MAF Sensor cleaner and change the fuel filter. Anybody have advice for changing the fuel filter? Does the tank need to be near empty before I unscrew the old one??

Old 01-31-2016, 10:33 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

The fuel filter is located along the frame on the drivers side of the car, I believe just in front of the rear tire. Tank can be full just have a cup ready to catch any fuel you don't want hitting the ground. It won't leak much as the car shouldn't be running so the fuel pump won't be pumping any fuel, you will just lose some that is in the line.

Old 02-01-2016, 12:13 AM

Thanks Ohara. Anybody else have a similar issue as this when starting? I have heard a few ppl say it is quite common with 3.8L engines

Old 07-24-2016, 04:06 PM

i would try to check my fuel injectors and see if there are any issues in the fuel line. when fuel injectors go bad they will throw a maf code or lower your oil pressure. i think most likely its a fueling issue.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:11 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

All the above are good advice.
I would especially be suspicious of the aftermarket MAF, and the fuel pressure regulator.

Here's a link for the regulator. Doesn't pay to go cheap on these either:
19245529 | eBay

Old 08-21-2016, 07:05 AM

Hi. I had the same issue with my '04 intimidator (3.8). In using the Torque app on Android, I could see the IAC numbers going into the 100's. It too died on me on the highway at speed with no reason, no codes. It would start when the engine was cold, run a little then sputter and die. If I tried to restart it, it would catch then die right away. Typically, on my Torque app, the IAC numbers should be much lower (40 or less possible) so this caught my attention. The numbers would drop a little when the engine runs but when it dies, you could see the numbers jump to over 100. I'm going to try a new IAC and hope that it fixes it.

Search this Thread