Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

02 Monte SS, a few problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 01:58 AM
Unhappy 02 Monte SS, a few problems

Hi, this is my first post, and possibly a very long one. I know this section says "non-specific issues", but these feel kida specific to me. So I have an 02 Monte Carlo ss. I love this car to death. I've always wanted a Monte since high school, and I got this one after college and have had her for the past 8 years. She's always run great (aside from a few random, slightly expensive things going bad and having to be replaced. and a few things being replaced repeatedly.)

But over the last 3 years my front dash has been out. I was told 2 wires had fused behind the dash, and it would be $900 to fix. So obviously I didn't have it fixed and have just been living with that. I've gotten used to guessing my speed very accurately. I'm not too invested in fixing this problem as it will entail taking the entire dash apart myself, and probably splicing in new sections of wire to the fused ones. Which I don't want to do unless it will fix my next problem.

Next, my front passenger headlight has been out for about 2 years. The daytime running light works fine, the high beam works fine, and the blinker works fine. Just not the low beam. It is not the bulb, or the fuses. Amazingly last March or April, it came back on for about a month or two, and then went back out. Along with my passenger fog light. I have no idea what it could possibly be, unless some of the wires that fused earlier had fused with wires for that headlight as well.

My last and final problem is that my car rumbles a bit when I'm on the highway going from 50 through to 60. Then the rumble stops around 62-ish. However it only happens when I have someone else in the car. When I'm by myself it drives like a dream. It happens a little bit more so, with more people in the car. Or maybe it just happens earlier. Closer to 50 than 55-ish like it would with one perseon. I feel the rumble mostly in the gas pedal, and a little bit in the steering wheel and maybe in my seat. I can't really remember as I basically only drive to and from work, and it's been a while since I've commuted with anyone.

Could this be something with engine mounts, or suspension? I don't think it's my transmission because I had a whole new tranny put in a few years ago after a pretty bad wreck when the insurance Co decided it was cheaper to give me a new transmission than rebuild my current one. And I'm hoping its not an engine issue because last summer my head gasket cracked and my car almost over heated. I was working on this TV show and the autoshop who services our big trailer trucks "completely cleaned out" my engine because oil and other crap had seeped in there. So I'm completely at a loss there.

And ah hell, while I'm at it. My car whines REALLY loud if I take a turn SLIGHTLY too fast for it's liking. And continues to whine for a few more minutes until it's worked itself out, and has had time to sit for a little while. Is there a better power steering pump or something I can buy to remedy that?

As you can see, I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to cars. I wish I was, and still like to think I am among my circles of friends. But I tried to give you the best information I've been able to gather since all these problems have started.

Thankyou in advance for any help you all can give me.