Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

01 ss service vehicle soon light

Old 04-16-2013, 10:18 PM
Angry 01 ss service vehicle soon light

have a 2001 ss with 103,000 miles service vehicle soon light came on. first time this message came on since I bought the car new in 2001. my friend at good year checked for codes no codes they said had to take it back to Chevrolet dealer they want 50 bucks just to check it out. is there any way I can fix it or things to look for with out taking back to the dealer please help

Old 04-16-2013, 10:23 PM

Make sure it's just not a bulb out in the rear like your reverse lights. Some vehicle will turn on svs light just for that reason.. And you can also disconnect your battery and touch the ground and power together and the should clear it out but can't say how long the light will stay out

Old 04-17-2013, 01:24 PM

all lights working tried cable touching service vehicle soon light still on. the only thing different I noticed during daytime mileage,radio display and climate control above rear view mirror are really dim have dimmer switch turned all the way up

Old 04-17-2013, 06:34 PM

Well then the scanner that was being used does not read all modules or you have a module not communicating. Is the vehicle running the same as before the light came on and did you do anything like get gas right before the came on or is the oil life % down to zero

Old 07-12-2013, 02:04 PM

I've had this same problem for years. I'm starting to see some chatter on the net about this being a delayed response by the BCM to the replacement of the OEM stereo with an aftermarket one.
Now I have a theory on this:
Of course replacing the BCM should fix it since part of the BCM replacement procedure entails the "re-learning" of the theft deterrent system. You would think it would be caught during reprogramming BEFORE they replace the BCM but since the error is caused by a missing component that according to your VIN and Point of Sale and Option Configuration data the stereo "should" be there. The BCM then gets replaced but the problem still exists. That's when the tech discovers that all he had to do was delete the stereo option in the BCM configuration. Now a prudent tech would put the original BCM back in and reprogram it without the stereo in the configuration. In such cases the tech would then have to report to their service manager that they wrongly replaced a $600 electrical non-restockable part that took hours to replace and was a total pain to get to. so instead of your bill being $65 for reprogramming it's now $665. You're none the wiser because it's fixed.
Just a theory but I'd like to see how many people with this problem still have the OEM stereo. Hmmmm