Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Key stuck in ignition and won't turn off

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 01:47 PM
Default Key stuck in ignition and won't turn off

Well i got my car legal again and its been sitting for 2 years.. grandpa went and started it 8 months ago and now the keys stuck in the ignition. the battery is dead, and won't hold a charge but i can charge it and start it and still not get the key out. There is a recall on the ignition switch that im sure you all are aware of, and im hoping that they (chevy dealership) will be forced to fix it if i take it in with the key stuck in the ignition.

Also, before i stopped driving it 2 years ago, everything ran fine except after the car warmed up and i put it in park and turned the car off, when i started it again to drive (while it was still warm) it would be hard to shift into drive. Im not sure if it being warm had anything to do with it but that was the only connection i was able to make.

Thanks for any help guys, im poor and im hoping it won't be much to fix.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:00 PM

Well Paul, welcome to the site. I'm fairly new myself. I can't diagnose your issues at this point, but I'm sure someone will. Lots of experts here. However, you may want to consider listing some details about your MC (year, engine specs, etc) to help the forum answer your questions more accurately. In any case, I hope you get it resolved soon. Good luck!

Old 02-19-2015, 05:09 PM

its a 2003 ls 3.4l.. any helps appreciated.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:31 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Maybe there is something in some of these threads that will help

click--> https://montecarloforum.com/forum/ge...light=ignition

click-->https://montecarloforum.com/forum/mo...light=ignition

Old 02-20-2015, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by P343
Maybe there is something in some of these threads that will help

click--> https://montecarloforum.com/forum/ge...light=ignition

click-->https://montecarloforum.com/forum/mo...light=ignition
nothin there that could really help.. i think it could be the solenoid in the floor shifter because it sat for 2 years and had a leak and was wet inside.. what can i do to check everything and diagnose this problem?

Old 02-20-2015, 04:58 AM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Testing and diagnosis I will leave for someone else to answer as I am not sure...sorry

Old 02-20-2015, 07:22 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Moisture and sitting for 2 years can be a very bad thing. There is a good chance that rust has set in somewhere along the line, if you can get access to everything it wouldn't be a bad idea to give it a coating of WD40, the shifter linkage is probably rusted up a bit, and some grease would definitely go along way. There is also a chance if you just sit in the driveway and run the shifter through all the gears repeatedly it may free everything up, but if you get too much resistance be careful as you don't want anything to break

Old 02-20-2015, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by ohara
Moisture and sitting for 2 years can be a very bad thing. There is a good chance that rust has set in somewhere along the line, if you can get access to everything it wouldn't be a bad idea to give it a coating of WD40, the shifter linkage is probably rusted up a bit, and some grease would definitely go along way. There is also a chance if you just sit in the driveway and run the shifter through all the gears repeatedly it may free everything up, but if you get too much resistance be careful as you don't want anything to break
do you mind elaborating on what you mean by "get access to everything" and what will need to be took apart in order to do this? and thanks for the advice im going to go and do this when this snow stops.. also the battery is completely dead, if that would have anything to do with it.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:33 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Just an fyi on the recall, it only pertains to your keys and nothing with the actual lock cylinder, so you'd be on the hook for a fix there. It does seem like the issue is with the shifter, have you tried putting it in neutral then trying to get the key out?

Old 02-21-2015, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93
Just an fyi on the recall, it only pertains to your keys and nothing with the actual lock cylinder, so you'd be on the hook for a fix there. It does seem like the issue is with the shifter, have you tried putting it in neutral then trying to get the key out?
no i havent, were in the middle of a blizzard so i havent been outside messing with it.. the key can come out in neutral? my car is an automatic.

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Key stuck in ignition and won't turn off