Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

01 Monte Carlo SS - Motor Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 10:18 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Kinda' sounds like the car has reached that point of age and mileage where a lot of things are due for replacement. Having bought my '00 SS new and owned and repaired a few since then I can attest for common ailments that come with age and wear and tear. The radiator is one of them, and the jostling of the engine with hoses attached (not the wrong way to do it) probably pushed it over the edge. I just replaced the radiator in my '00 SS a month ago, and the one in the '03 SS was replaced by the previous owner about 2 years ago. The aluminum and plastic construction of modern radiators just isn't like the old copper ones. Experts say our radiators last about 12 years. Try to look at the bright side; once you replace a part you won;t have to worry about it for a long time, if ever again. Plus it gives you time to bond with your family and learn as you go. I hope your kid appreciates what your doing. Within reason,I try to practice this philosophy at this point in my cars life: If it has to come off to replace something else and it's affordable, replace it. Hope things turn around for you soon so you and your kid get the time to enjoy it.
Just to let you know what to expect going down the road from here (pun intended..Lol), Here's a list of common problems and corrections for our car's posted by our awesome Administrator Chibi. Keep in mind this was written a few years back, so there's a few things like radiators that could be added to make it current.

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...lutions-30154/

Last edited by plumbob; 07-28-2016 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:12 AM

Hey - Live and Learn right.... Perhaps if it all didn't happen at the same time I would not have had such a melt down about it all. Radiator ended costing me $432. Today, I am going to finish up the last of the few issues I know about. Front right hub assembly and the top broken motor mount.

Thanks for sharing that list of issues..... two questions...

Turn Signals... I have noticed at times they don't work. Says to replace the hazard switch... how difficult is that?

Blower - Does not work in position #3... where is the blower motor resistor at?

Old 07-29-2016, 11:15 PM
10 Year Member

The hazard switch is the most likely culprit and it's pretty easy, just take off the driver side dash cover to get to it (7 or 8 -7mm screws).
Here's a how to video. I don't find it necessary to remove the lower column cover as shown in the video. There's enough play in the dash cover to bend it around, but with that being said...proceed at your own risk.

Video:

Give me some time and I will send schematic for blower. Don't think it's the resistor though, if that were the case it wouldn't work in position 4 or 5 either. I suspect the switch in the HVAC module. Have to replace the whole module.

Old 07-31-2016, 10:32 AM
10 Year Member

Sorry for the wait, but as promised here is the Blower Schematic, blower motor resistor location and component views. As shown in the illustration, the resistor is at the back of the motor.

You should start a new thread if you want to continue with subjects other than the motor mounts now.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
File Type: jpg
Blower Motor view.jpg (3.23 MB, 1 views)