Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

No Spark

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 02:55 PM
Exclamation No Spark

Bought all new ACCEL setup (cap, rotor, module, coil) had running adjusting valves, broke rod so i had to swap heads. i made the rookie mistake by not marking where rotor was so i lost my timing. referred back to TDC and pointed to 1. tried it a few times with no luck so I ran through checking everything, troubleshooting. as i was pulling and dropping distributor to hope to find time my coil started what felt like boiling? under my hand. i quickly unhooked BAT + and my coil was smoking. After research, instead of a new ACCEL coil which i read bad about i spent a lil extra and bought a whole new Distributor set-up. Now I have no spark coming out of my distributor at all. Clean 12v going in to it. Im stumped. Help?

Old 11-06-2013, 03:11 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

What year make model motor?

Old 11-07-2013, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
What year make model motor?
1985 MCSS LQ9 350. rebuilt to flat tap, torker 2, .488 cam, 882 heads

Old 11-07-2013, 04:52 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member

Is it grounded properly! You should have 24000VDC I think, out of your coil. I believe That's what it take to get a good spark from your plugs. Are you getting nothing from the spark plug end of your wires or are you getting 12v? I would guess your coil is shot!

Old 11-07-2013, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by JC Colon`
Is it grounded properly! You should have 24000VDC I think, out of your coil. I believe That's what it take to get a good spark from your plugs. Are you getting nothing from the spark plug end of your wires or are you getting 12v? I would guess your coil is shot!
the motor is grounded properly and the whole distributor setup is brand new so unless its faulty OTB then im not sure whats happening. Im not getting any spark at all coming out my dist cap post. I have a clean 12v going in.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:05 AM
5 Year Member

If you only have 12v from your coil start there. Your coil is a step up Transformer. It's output should be significantly Greater that 12v. Even with the key on/engine off.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:54 AM

If you only have 12v from your coil start there. Your coil is a step up Transformer. It's output should be significantly Greater that 12v. Even with the key on/engine off.
Right, i meant the 12v goin in to the coil. have not checked what is coming out of the coil. How do i do that without frying myself??

Old 11-08-2013, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member

Honestly, I don't know. Normally I would use a DMM (Digital Multi Meter) with alligator clip leads. But I'm not sure what the current coming out of the coil should be. I would say see if Pepboys or a Mechanic can test it for you. I wouldn't think it wouldn't cost much if anything at all. But not knowing the current output but knowing it's HIGH, That's what I would do! Good Luck!

Old 11-08-2013, 06:34 PM

Honestly, I don't know. Normally I would use a DMM (Digital Multi Meter) with alligator clip leads. But I'm not sure what the current coming out of the coil should be. I would say see if Pepboys or a Mechanic can test it for you. I wouldn't think it wouldn't cost much if anything at all. But not knowing the current output but knowing it's HIGH, That's what I would do! Good Luck!
Me either lol Thanks for the advice brother

Old 11-08-2013, 08:56 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If the coil got extremely hot it may have fried. Some coils require a resistor/resistance wire to reduce the input voltage from 12v. To test secondary voltage output stick a Phillips screwdriver into the end of a plug wire, then hold it about 3/16" from the engine block while someone cranks the engine. If you have output you'll see a spark jump the gap. As long as you hold the plastic handle and don't touch the metal part of the screwdriver you won't get zapped.

Quick Reply: No Spark