Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

‘05 Shaking while Idling ..HELP

Old 10-18-2018, 08:25 PM
Default ‘05 Shaking while Idling ..HELP

Hi all-
I have a 2005 3.4L Monte. The car is trembling/shaking while idling, in park, and at very very low speeds (10mph or less), but no shake at highway speeds, but the check engine light starts flashing at high speeds/accelerating. There is a gas smell coming from the front of the car too, but only at high speeds after about 20 mins of driving and goes away after a few mins. The car does not want to accelerate, and when I am “pedal to the metal”, it feels empty and the car accelerates very slowly when at highway speeds. No smoke coming from the engine. Lastly, the exhaust started puttering at the same rate of the shake. All of this appeared suddenly during my drive home. Very sudden and random.
Also been having rough start ups lately. Let me add Im at about 190k miles.
I have replaced all the sparkplugs and wires, cleaned throttle body..no help. The engine keeps shaking and am worried. could it be coils? Can anyone offer some guidance or help? Thanks a lot!

Last edited by thegreatest; 10-18-2018 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:48 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by thegreatest
Hi all-
I have a 2005 3.4L Monte. The car is trembling/shaking while idling, in park, and at very very low speeds (10mph or less), but no shake at highway speeds, but the check engine light starts flashing at high speeds/accelerating. There is a gas smell coming from the front of the car too, but only at high speeds after about 20 mins of driving and goes away after a few mins. The car does not want to accelerate, and when I am “pedal to the metal”, it feels empty and the car accelerates very slowly when at highway speeds. No smoke coming from the engine. Lastly, the exhaust started puttering at the same rate of the shake. All of this appeared suddenly during my drive home. Very sudden and random.
Also been having rough start ups lately. Let me add Im at about 190k miles.
I have replaced all the sparkplugs and wires, cleaned throttle body..no help. The engine keeps shaking and am worried. could it be coils? Can anyone offer some guidance or help? Thanks a lot!
Assuming the normal maintenance has been done?
Like replace the Fuel filter?
Air Filter?
Any Vacuum leaks? this will make it run rough too.

You most likely have a plugged Catalectic converter, restricting the Exhaust to nearly no flow at all.