Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

5th Gen ('95-'99): 97 3.1L Rough idle, rich exhaust, poor acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 04:24 PM
Default 97 3.1L Rough idle, rich exhaust, poor acceleration

So I had noticed my car starting to stall occasionally when I would park. One day the issue seemingly became worse overnight. My car was stalling at every stop, I had to pump the gas to get it going, and the exhaust smelled strongly of gas. I was still able to drive it, as long as I was at cruising speeds. However, today it is essentially un-drivable. It won't let me accelerate over like 1500-2000 rpms, and it is VERY sluggish when you press the gas, and the motor is shaking a lot. I have put new plugs/wires in, a new TPS, and a MAF sensor. I am not the best with cars, everything I have done required a lot of google research. I really cannot afford to dump several hundred more dollars into this car, especially not even knowing if the parts will fix the issue. If anyone has any input, I would greatly appreciate it!

Old 07-28-2014, 06:53 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

if it has a check engine or service engine light on have the computer codes read, they can help point you in a direction as to what is wrong. OBDII scanners have gotten fairly cheap if you shop around a bit, or if you can get the car to any chain auto parts store they will usually scan the codes for free.

that is where I would start

Old 07-28-2014, 10:50 PM

I forgot to mention I did use a computer on it. It came back with the random/multiple misfire code

Old 07-28-2014, 11:22 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Drew Watson
So I had noticed my car starting to stall occasionally when I would park. One day the issue seemingly became worse overnight. My car was stalling at every stop, I had to pump the gas to get it going, and the exhaust smelled strongly of gas. I was still able to drive it, as long as I was at cruising speeds. However, today it is essentially un-drivable. It won't let me accelerate over like 1500-2000 rpms, and it is VERY sluggish when you press the gas, and the motor is shaking a lot. I have put new plugs/wires in, a new TPS, and a MAF sensor. I am not the best with cars, everything I have done required a lot of google research. I really cannot afford to dump several hundred more dollars into this car, especially not even knowing if the parts will fix the issue. If anyone has any input, I would greatly appreciate it!
The Catalytic Converter may do this if it's blocked and could be with this car. Fuel Filter could be blocked,
Some times it is the Simplest thing that said check your Vacuum lines to make sure they are connected and are not leaking. There is one that you will find on the Right side of the engine Rear, it is about 1/2 inch in dia. it goes up to a round surface on the fire wall and if it comes off it will do just what you are describing. Sorry, I am describing this from memory and not with a view the engine compartment. Hope that works.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:45 AM

I just wanted to expand a bit. I checked my oil dipstick, and there is definitely gas in there. Also, with the car running I pulled the hose off of the fuel pressure regulator, and gas spewed out. I was trying to research this online, and I seen that could be a sign the regulator is faulty? I thought that the exhaust had to have a rotten egg smell to make it a catalytic convertor problem. And the fuel filter wouldn't cause me burn excessive gas would it? The next part I am thinking of getting is this regulator. Can you confirm or not if the gas in the oil/gas spewing would mean the fuel pressure regulator is shot?

Old 07-29-2014, 02:09 AM

Regulator is bad. Also check ur coilpacks