Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

`Brakings & Rotors ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 10:16 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default `Brakings & Rotors ?

Brakings & Rotors

Pat Goss of MotorWeek

Even though they're made of steel, brake rotors wear out. The big question is when do you need to replace them? Well in order to do that you have to determine how thick the rotor is, because when a rotor is worn out, it's simply thinner than it was when it was new.
This can get to be really cumbersome. What you have to do is check the VIN-number and record the production date that's on the back edge of the drivers door. Then measure the diameter of the rotor and take all of that information and go to a rotor specification book. Now these things are truly cumbersome because you've got, in many cases, hundreds of pages, you've got line after line of very fine print with all kinds of numbers, and if you happen to read up a line or down a line, you may condemn a good rotor or you may say that a bad one is good, so you've got to be real careful with this.

But what you do is take the rotor and a brake rotor micrometer, such as this one, and you put it down over the rotor like that, take it off, and you can see on the digital read-out what the thickness of the rotor is. You compare that to what the specification was in the book, and it's either good or it's bad. But through all of these steps and all of these measurements and everything, there are a lot of ways to make mistakes.
Now here's something that does away with all of those mistakes. This is a new ATE rotor and it's grooved (well, grooved is not new), and it helps rotors perform better because it helps dissipate the gases that form between the brake pads and the brake rotors. But this one is different: that groove is also a wear indicator. In other words, when the groove is worn away in any part of the rotor - you can no longer see the groove - that rotor is shot, and it's time to replace it. Takes all the guess work out of determining when to replace the rotors, and I think it's pretty clever.

Members, when is the last time you checked your brakes/Rotor's ?
What are you replacing them with ?
Please post what U R doing `ok....thanks

Last edited by Space; 04-19-2009 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:49 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

I want to replace my OEM brakes ASAP with either R1 Concept rotors or PowerSlot rotors and Hawk HPS pads.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:55 AM

just replaced mine front and back with some red stuff pads and some cross drilled/slotted rotors.. stops like a dream now, even for a boat

Old 04-21-2009, 10:24 AM
Photobucket

Originally Posted by montecarlo01ss
just replaced mine front and back with some red stuff pads and some cross drilled/slotted rotors.. stops like a dream now, even for a boat
Brand, price, part numbers?

Old 04-21-2009, 10:27 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

What? I think it's well detailed.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:37 AM
Photobucket

You're joking? Yes?

Old 04-21-2009, 10:40 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Arrow Rotor's + More : )

Performance Details Starting Price DecelaRotors Rotors - Chevrolet Monte Carlo

Our new line of direct replacement, cosmetically upgraded rotors. Designed for a variety of domes...
$101.94 Drilled Rotors & Pads Set - Chevrolet Monte Carlo

Cross drilled/slotted brake rotors are known to enhance the braking power of any brake system withou... $254.40 Front Drilled Rotor - Chevrolet Monte Carlo

Cross Drilled/Slotted brake rotors are known to enhance the braking power of any brake system wit...
$121.68 Front Performance Rotors - Chevrolet Monte Carlo
  • Our high performance rotors are precision machined and balanced to industry leading specific...
$141.98 Rear Drilled Rotor - Chevrolet Monte Carlo

Cross Drilled/Slotted brake rotors are known to enhance the braking power of any brake system wit...
$112.32 Russel Front Bleeders - Chevrolet Monte Carlo

Bleeding your brake or clutch line has never been easier or simpler! Revolutionary double-patented S... $12.99 Russel Rear Bleeders - Chevrolet Monte Carlo

Bleeding your brake or clutch line has never been easier or simpler! Revolutionary double-patented S... $12.99 Russell Brake Lines - Chevrolet Monte Carlo

Russell Performance has been the leader in advanced fluid transfer for over a quarter of a century. ... $142.56 Sport-Touring Brake Pads - Chevrolet Monte Carlo

THE SCIENCE OF FRICTION!
The newest member of the Baer family, the Baer SPORT-TOURING Brake...

Old 04-21-2009, 11:22 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by RickAKATed10
You're joking? Yes?
Yes, I speak fluent sarcasm.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:40 AM
Photobucket

Good. I do as well.