Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Loss of power/Stalling

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 03:51 PM
Default Loss of power/Stalling

Mysterious problem with my 99 Monte z34 3800 v6... I have had the car over a year now and had this loss of power and stalling issue. This only happens in hot weather as it runs great thru the winter and cooler days. This only happens once the car is heatsoaked on a warm day!
Car experiences loss of power and stalling at highway speed or in town and seems to happen as you let off the pedal, sometimes when it happens in town I can two foot it with the brake and gas pedal to keep it moving.
Last time it occured on the weekend was on highway and the rpm will drop to like 900 and limp and coast before it actually stalls when you put your foot on accelerator then the exhaust smells funny like the car is running rich.
I did replace the crank position sensor& cat converter last summer as someone suggested that was the issue.
Seems like an electrical or little spark issue to me, thinking about swapping out the coil packs and ignition control unit as a whole next.
I just dred the thought of it being some wire somwhere that is failing when the underhood temps get hot in the warmer weather.
I'm at a loss now? Never any codes to pull after these incidents?
I'm begining to hate the nice warm weather???

Old 04-21-2009, 05:06 PM

from personal experience it's best to just take your car to a pro and have the problem examined even if you aren't getting any codes thrown. you're better off paying about $50 an hour to a mechanic to have the problem diagnosed (they can usually figure out any problem in an hour) vs. throwing hundreds of your hard earned dollars in parts at it hoping you'll luck into the fix. after the tech figures out the problem, get the car outta the garage as fast as you can and install whatever it is he recommended. you now owe me $50 for diagnosing your problem.