MCF Website Problems & Issues This area is for problems or suggestions relating specifically to the MCF site, not the car.

MOTM and member Activity

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 07:37 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default MOTM and member Activity

Space and MCF Family,
When you did the "What Gen Monte do you own" thread, there were nearly 400 6th gen Montes and a large number of each of the other Gens. But the max votes I've seen are just under 60 and a lot of the Nominees already had a MOTM under their hoods. Not that I'm complaining about multiple wins, but with so many members, and such a large number of New Members each week, there should be more newbies nominated.

It seems to me that our new members join because they have a problem they need help with. Once the problem is fixed, they disappear until the next problem. Although that was my motivation, I realized right away the value of MCF, the help i could get and the help i could offer. You Can't go to a GM service center and get the info you can get here!

I think that the winner of MOTM should be placed in the MCF Banner for the following month. It's the first thing everyone sees when they come to the site and it would be a great way to advertise the contest. Also, the Nomination and voting threads should be automatically posted to each member. That way it has to be seen!

One of the problems I see is that the MOTM thread has to be looked for. At least on my page it doesn't show up in the New Threads list. And I think that would not only Promote the MOTM contest but also promote better activity by individual members, Old and New!

Old 11-02-2014, 09:36 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

JC:
One of the reasons you probably have to search for it is because you must be clicking on the New Posts...
Generally after you write in a post it will not show up in the "New Posts"...
And over time if no one has posted in that topic over a period of time other posts that have been answered or written in will naturally climb high up in the listings of topics etc...

In order to find all the posts all the time is to click the Monte Carlo Forum Banner in the upper left of the page and all topics, posts show up there..

Also I believe:
The reason that the MOTM isn't posted directly in the banner each Month is that IB (Internet Brands) that owns the forum. would have to change the banner each month...they also have so many other forums and business elsewhere that they probably (This is just a guess) Are far to busy to be able to do this Month after Month...
Thus the reason That the MOTM winner is acknowledged daily in the Members Daily Blog.. Which Mike and or Jason inserts the MOTM winners vehicle and Name.

Despite the large numbers of Members and or owners of various generations of Monte Carlo's.
Like you previously mentioned... Is because yes they come and go as there questions/Issues are answered and resolved...

Unlike you and I and others were here for the long haul and Happy to be a part of something larger than ourselves and are also here to not only be sociable but to also help those in need thru our own experiences and things we have learned over the course of our becoming Members. As well as making Friends thru our love of the Monte Carlo...

Were a dieing breed apparently since GM has said numerous times they are never going to bring the Monte Carlo back.... EVER!
They also said that the Monte Carlo will never be a collector car.... For me... I Believe we are out to prove them wrong!

I hope this at least answers some of your questions....

Thanks for being a valued Member of our MCF Family!

Last edited by STUMPMI; 11-02-2014 at 09:49 PM. Reason: addition...
Old 11-02-2014, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks David, you are right, I always hit the "New Post" tab. But if the MOTM is a new post it should come up there I would think? I still think whoever is MOTM should be right in the MCF Banner and if it is clicked it should tell a little about the member and there trials and tribulation with their Monte. Plus a little blurb on how to become qualified to become a MOTM Nominee! Advertising, Advertising, Advertising!

Old 11-02-2014, 09:52 PM

5 Year Member

Originally Posted by JC Colon`
Thanks David, you are right, I always hit the "New Post" tab. But if the MOTM is a new post it should come up there I would think? I still think whoever is MOTM should be right in the MCF Banner and if it is clicked it should tell a little about the member and there trials and tribulation with their Monte. Plus a little blurb on how to become qualified to become a MOTM Nominee! Advertising, Advertising, Advertising!
If I am not Mistaken....
I believe the qualifications to become/qualify for the MOTM is in the FAQ section..

Clicky-----> https://montecarloforum.com/forum/faq.php

Last edited by STUMPMI; 11-02-2014 at 09:54 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:02 PM
5 Year Member

Sorry David, I don't mean to start an argument. I just feel that in order to get new members more involved, it would be better to have it Right in their Face. To give it that, "Humm, What is this?" factor!
Honestly, for the first few months of my membership I had no idea there was a MOTM contest.
Just trying to figure out ways to get more members to be more active on the site!

Old 11-02-2014, 10:17 PM

5 Year Member

JC:
I kinda agree...
Seeing how you have been a member here since 2012.. Naturally you know that the MOTM is a regular Topic on the forum...
I do however think that it is more for the "regular" members that log in and post daily....

There has been those who have become members... Won MOTM and then just disappear and we never see or hear from them again... (That's the downside of holding a MOTM contest)

But like me im sure you found this forum via google or some other form of search on the net.

As you are aware of...
We have a Michigan Monte Carlo Club that are members here from this forum...
Its my personal experience.. (I pass out fliers in my daily travels.) That I print out myself promoting the club and the forum. That Matt (06mistreSS) designed.... Most sound interested.... But most never seem to show up for events, shows or even cruises...
People like you and I and others here are definitely enthusiasts of our Monte Carlo's. and basically live and breathe all things Monte Carlo..

I believe advertiseing isn't the problem...(The forums been here since 2006)
Its a lack of interest on some peoples part or the love of there Monte Carlo.. Unlike us...

I have noticed that during the course of my being a member here I have seen plenty of members come and go...

But I will say..
This forum is definitely here to stay as long as theres people like you and others that just cant get enough of being a fellow Monte Carlo Owner...
As we all know you have been thru heck and back with yours and yet.. You still love and continue to improve on yours...
Its people like you that makes this forum what it is today.

IMO, It can only get better from here on out...

Most of all we do appreciate your concern and ideas.
Thanks JC

Last edited by STUMPMI; 11-02-2014 at 10:25 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:47 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

MOTM does not seem to do much to encourage activity anyways. I mean, it does create activity. But MOTM winners cycle through the forum as much as any other member. Even this year has produced several MOTM winners that are not active on the forum anymore. I've heard others refer to winning MOTM of the kiss off death because members often disappear after winning. It's for this reason that I tend to vote for longer-term members for MOTM more than newer members. Some members have been waiting to win for years and those members will be around whether they win MOTM or not

Old 11-03-2014, 05:40 AM

Hi `J.C., good questions for discussions.

I find that many new members fail to read the rules & explore the forum when they join.

Yes, I agree many member's join or come to the MCF because they are having a problem/issue with their Monte and once they get there answer or not, they depart...Many times without even a "thank you"! I believe it's not just on the MCF, but it seems to be that way in life for many..."There's just seems to `be more takers, then givers" ?

I do my best to get member's involved with a variety of different topic's to increase the activity on the MCF, but many times I have failed.

Our membership is very diverse in ages & backgrounds and many times the only common interest is the Chevrolet Monte Carlo.

Thanks for your post & I hope some good for the MCF will come from it.

That's `all, my mind isn't fully awake yet this morning >Oh, "You can make some of our member's Happy some of the time, but not all of the member's Happy all of the time" (we try)

Wish you & member's a great new day > Now, go & make a interesting post to help our membership Thank `You!

>>> Help Wanted on the MCF ? <<< ( 1 2)
^ Click above to see how many member's contributed or posted on above thread^
"I tried to get member's to make positive suggestions to their MCF ?"

Last edited by Space; 11-03-2014 at 06:11 AM.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:46 AM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015

You guys are right about that members win it and then sort of disappear. I do not understand that really because as nice as it would be to become monte of the month, I still like getting information and helping other members. Plus just talking about random info in the off topic section is nice. To me the forum is a community rather than just a place to get info even though it is great for that as well.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:58 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

When someone is nominated I usually go to their garage. That tells me how many posts they have made and also gives me a chance to check out the pics of their car. IMO MOTM should include the posts a person makes, but the content of those posts should be more important than the number of posts. Someone can rack up 30 posts a month just by saying good morning every day, yet none of their posts are helpful in resolving any problems other members are experiencing. Lately it seems like the people being nominated simply ratchet jaw but don't contribute any valid info to resolve problems. Another 'problem' that (imo) deters people from voting is the way the rules seem to change monthly or they are nominated for things that aren't mentioned in the rules.

Quick Reply: MOTM and member Activity