Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Winter Project 1: Battery Relocation

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 01:39 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Winter Project 1: Battery Relocation

I've been researching my battery relocation project and might actually get started this weekend with my break from school. Here's what I'm thinking..

I've looked at all the battery boxes available and they are a little too expensive for what they are. I'm looking for a box that looks clean and is sealed for my safety. I decided that I could just make my own for a fraction of the cost of buying one.. plus it'll be more fun My idea is to use wood for the main construction of the box with a metal insert in the bottom to protect the wood. I should be able to seal up the box with caulk and use some sort of gasket around the lid. I'm sealing it for my health and safety because batteries leak off harmful gasses, and I don't need to be breathing any of that I will have a vent tube that will go to the exterior of the car.

Here's a model I made up when I had some extra time for fun.. just to give you an idea I'll probably paint the box black when I'm finished.

Parts list so far:

2 Gauge Wire (about 20 feet)
2 Side post terminals
2 bolts for lid of box
2 Wing nuts
2 terminals for sticking through side of the box
6 ring terminals for 2 gauge wire
Circuit Breaker
Hose barb and hose
Gasket
1x12 Wood
Metal/plastic insert

Comments/suggestions/questions encouraged otherwise keep looking back for progress pics. Thanks for looking!

Old 11-13-2012, 07:32 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Originally Posted by zzapultimate
Hose barb and hose
I assume this is to vent the box to atmosphere? It is very important that hydrogen fumes don't accumulate otherwise you risk an explosion. Several years ago we used to get replacement battery caps that had nipples on them for a hose vent. We'd route the hose through a grommeted hole in the trunk floor so there was no chance of any fumes accumulating in the battery box. I don't know if they are still available, but they might be worth looking into.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:35 AM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015
3 Year Member1 Year Member

They make batteries with the holes in the battery so you can just run tubes from the holes to the outside of the car. I did this to my Monte and haven't had a problem

Old 11-13-2012, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
I assume this is to vent the box to atmosphere? It is very important that hydrogen fumes don't accumulate otherwise you risk an explosion. Several years ago we used to get replacement battery caps that had nipples on them for a hose vent. We'd route the hose through a grommeted hole in the trunk floor so there was no chance of any fumes accumulating in the battery box. I don't know if they are still available, but they might be worth looking into.
Yes it is to vent the box to atmosphere. I have not seen anything like what you are describing? I tried searching but did not find anything. That would be much simpler than building a box!

Originally Posted by crazyzach722
They make batteries with the holes in the battery so you can just run tubes from the holes to the outside of the car. I did this to my Monte and haven't had a problem
Yes the do make batteries with vent holes already in them. I want to work with what I have since my battery is pretty new. If I wanted to buy a new battery I would just buy a gel battery like an optima and just forget about venting all together.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:52 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have an easier soulution!

Thought of useing a battery from a boat????
No vent tubes needed...the cover fits like a glove and has a strap that goes completely around it to keep it closed from the elements...
They use the same thing on Campers!... So they must be pretty safe and effective......I also used this very same thing when i was raceing circle track cars...!!!

Just a thought!

Old 11-13-2012, 12:06 PM

Yes it is to vent the box to atmosphere. I have not seen anything like what you are describing? I tried searching but did not find anything. That would be much simpler than building a box!
This is similar to what we used to get:

Dorman Products - 924-254

The ones we got were rectangular shaped and covered 3 cells of the battery. The nipples were located on the ends of the caps. A hose ran from each cap into a Y fitting and a single hose ran from there down through a hole (with grommet) in the trunk floor.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
This is similar to what we used to get:

Dorman Products - 924-254

The ones we got were rectangular shaped and covered 3 cells of the battery. The nipples were located on the ends of the caps. A hose ran from each cap into a Y fitting and a single hose ran from there down through a hole (with grommet) in the trunk floor.
Thanks for the link. Would I have to vent each cell (all 6)? I can only find the ones that cover one cell.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:22 PM

Thanks for the link. Would I have to vent each cell (all 6)? I can only find the ones that cover one cell.
That's a good question...from the looks of them I would assume (I hate doing that) that each cell would require a vent. Maybe see if there's any info available at a battery distribution or supply web site? Maybe marine or industrial application? We just went to the local Mr. Auto Supply and bought them...but that was a few years ago...

Old 11-13-2012, 07:51 PM

nice solid modeling

Old 11-13-2012, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by brewcitymc
nice solid modeling
Thanks! I have quite a few hours under my belt.

Even though I liked Mike's cap ideas.. looks like I'm still going with the custom box right now.

Quick Reply: Winter Project 1: Battery Relocation