Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

when should i switch to 0 gauge?

Old 07-22-2011, 08:12 PM
Default when should i switch to 0 gauge?

right now im about to be running a Alpine mrp f300 running my components and a alpine m-500 running a 12in type R. i have 4 guage going from the battery into a distribution block. with 4 gauge grounds. i have looked at charts but would like to get a persons perspective on it from the expert car audio guys on here! .

Also i will most likly be running 2 12in type Rs.. with either 2 mrp m500s or a mrp 1000. 0 gauge for sure on that?

thanks guys!

Old 07-22-2011, 10:51 PM

you're fine. i woudln't waste the time and money. ive ran much more on 4 gauge, much much more. i mean i run maybe 500 watts total out of my system and i ran a 0 gauge but i'm just that kinda guy :P it's not an upgrade. it's not gonna make a difference in the sound, if you were pushing the limit of the 4 gauge it would make a difference. but you shoudln't be close to it, 4 gauge can run allot of juice.

Last edited by walkingonabullet; 07-24-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:38 AM

Wire rarely has an effect on sound. At the end of the day its about current capacity, resistance and voltage. All wire is not created equally, Ive seen 0ga that is more like 4ga, so my question to you would be what brand wire are you running and is it pure copper or cca? At your current power level 4ga is fine but if your run is over 12ft. then its recommended that you go up a size. Then when you double the power to ur subs, the 4ga is really gonna be insufficient. If you want your amps to work as efficiently as possible you have to give them the most voltage you can (within its operating range of course), so yeah you can run lots of power with a 4ga wire but it comes at a price. If your amp is rated at 14.4v and with your current wiring its only seeing 13-13.5v due to resistance of the wire, upgrading to a larger size wire will give you less voltage drop so you can give the amp 13.5-14v which will increase its output, make it run more efficiently. Sometimes these increases are audible, sometimes they arent, but if you want your amp to last then the more efficiently you can allow it to operate, the better.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:53 PM

well i will be running 3 amps.. so i have a feeling ill need to upgrade to 0 guage. im gonna need more wire either way i go. but 4AWG is alot cheaper.

millhouse i do see what you are saying. i am currently running quantum audio 4AWG im not sure how good they are.. i just picked it up at a store so... but i found some monster 0awg for not to bad of a price. but if there is any good audio wire company's anyone knows off let me know. i have googled it but every one has so many different oppinions..

Old 07-23-2011, 07:07 PM

I woulf advise just over larger amp. Perhaps a pdx amp they're vryo efficient

Old 07-23-2011, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Boxman420 View Post
well i will be running 3 amps.. so i have a feeling ill need to upgrade to 0 guage. im gonna need more wire either way i go. but 4AWG is alot cheaper.

millhouse i do see what you are saying. i am currently running quantum audio 4AWG im not sure how good they are.. i just picked it up at a store so... but i found some monster 0awg for not to bad of a price. but if there is any good audio wire company's anyone knows off let me know. i have googled it but every one has so many different oppinions..
Yeah, for 3 amps you're definitely gonna want to upgrade to 0ga. 4ga. is alot cheaper but you gotta pay to play. Also, using undersized wire like that can contribute to dimming as well. If you want to save a few bucks but get some decent wire and an unbeatable price, check out Cadence OFC wire at AudioSavings. It's the cheapest I've seen quality OFC wire, it's like $2 a foot.

Quantum 4ga. huh? Any amp kit that comes with electrical tape can't be good, so i'm gonna go out on a limb and say that wire you have is not likely to be pure copper, which only lessens it's current capacity even more. That Monster wire, while priced nicely, is garbage.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:40 PM

i have looked at the PDX's they are just alot more money also.

thank you millhouse im going to order a roll of that. i have seen it about that same price but its on ebay and i have seen bad things about those brands.. my kit didnt come with electrical tape but it worked pretty good for one amp hooked up to a 12in type S. but i dont think its gonna be enough for this new setup

Old 07-23-2011, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Boxman420 View Post
i have looked at the PDX's they are just alot more money also.

thank you millhouse im going to order a roll of that. i have seen it about that same price but its on ebay and i have seen bad things about those brands.. my kit didnt come with electrical tape but it worked pretty good for one amp hooked up to a 12in type S. but i dont think its gonna be enough for this new setup
find your self a used first gen PDX. the new 2nd gens are over priced because their are so few used ones on the market the market hasn't shifted. they also havn't been proven by the market, they are indeed better than the first gens but the first gens **** all over the M500.

on that note. i will say, you can easily run that 4 channel you currently have and a 1.100 pdx on 4 gauge IMO. it's just work with out cause. in fact, i HONESTLY advice you try other subs. those type R's are nice. but this polk SR 12" will walk all over that type R. sealed box they really shine just like the type R's so it keeps the space down.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...SR124-DVC.html

i had one, i only upgraded to a JBL GTI sub, and that's the only reason i walked away from it, it was a fantastic sub.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:18 AM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

I was going to give out my opinion but Milhouse summed it up already..

Old 07-24-2011, 02:51 PM

walkingonabullit. those amps are extremely hard to find.. i have been looking for one since before i bought my m500.. still looking though!

jaws. your opinion has now been given! lol.

just ordered my 0 guage.. cant wait to get this all in working order!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: when should i switch to 0 gauge?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.