Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Vacuum gauge>>>

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Vacuum gauge>>>

Well, okay, Ive been getting some questions and PM's about my vac gauge and how I hooked it up and some random stuff. So, I decided to make a post of it.

First off, I needed to use a power wire that was acc, then hook it up to a constant sorce, and of course ground it. I used the 2 amp cruise fuse and a circuit tap wire for the ACC. Later changed all the wireing as I will explain.

I grounded it right into the body next to the DS fuse box so keep wiring to a min.

Then I unhooked all that and decided to get a little creative with it. I went to autozone and bought 4 rocker switches and one push switch (one that doesnt stay in the on position, it clicks back into place> Ill tell you what I did with that on later)

So I decided to use two of the switches for the vac gauge (one switch for the gauge face, and one for the gauge needle)(each have their own ACC hook up)

On to the new wiring. I used the same grounding location, but ran two seperate wires from the positive terminal of the battery. I ran these two pos wires from the battery, under the dash, through the center console and up through where the heated option switches go ( i dont have these options so I had a blank plate). On the switchs the are three terminals. One for the ground, one for a constant power supply (positive) and one to run into the positive side of the accesory you are "switching". And wired these accordingly.

Now, this only used two of the four switches I bought so im still waiting for a couple more gauges to come in that im hooking to the two other ones, but I made three holes and didnt want a little rectangle cut out just sitting there looking like crap, so I got really creative here and did somthing I think is REALLY bad ***. I rewired the start switch from the key, into the "button" switch I bought. So actually, my key does'nt start my car, the "button switch does. Pretty cool huh? This is where a friend GREAT help came in, he took everything apart needed to get behind the ignition and the wiring was the same in both so that was just a matter of running wire and hooking up an inline fuse holder.
Forgot to mention, in the switches running to the gauge face and the gauge needle, i needed to install an inline fuse holder in each of the constand supply wires.

Now I know most of you think vacuum gauges are stupid, but I am writing this for the five peole who asked me to explain what I did and how I went about with the wiring and the whole hook up process. Anyway, the more gauges in my car, the more I know whats going on, and better tabs I can keep on my car.

And on to all the pics, I think there is like 17 of them so... Enjoy I really enjoyed making this basiclly poitless writeup, but like I said, some people asked me for it so I did it for them>>>

Old 07-05-2010, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member

Last edited by wht02monte; 07-05-2010 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:22 PM
10 Year Member

Old 07-05-2010, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member

Old 07-05-2010, 11:28 PM
10 Year Member

Its also got two modes to go through the different colors with a flicker, or it can go through them by fading to the next.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:01 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think a vacuum gauge is a good idea - especially if you don't have an Aeroforce. It'll let you know if you ever have a vacuum leak, which is awesome. It would be better if it went into boost though...

Old 07-06-2010, 07:34 AM
10 Year Member

I was thinking about doing a boost/vac gauge instead of the straight vac, but ehhh, thought I might catch some hassle for that one?

Old 07-06-2010, 11:09 AM

Great Writeup! So you got one of them add a circuit/fuse things then eh? And where did you find your vacuum line under the hood, I have never really looked for it but in the pic I couldnt recognize where that was
Thanks alot for the writeup, and that switch to start up your car is pretty slick.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:25 AM
10 Year Member

There is a nipple on the intake manifold that you can hook it up to. Its under the plug wires. Other than that, youll have to do some drilling and tapping, no point in doing that.
You can see the nipple in the very first pic of this thread>>
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=19313

Old 07-06-2010, 11:42 AM
10 Year Member

BTW this is where I got it from and where Im expecting some more gauges from>> They have great prices and their products are pretty good quality too>>
http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/