Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Subs VS Winter

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 11:51 PM

yea, i have decided to leave them in, I actually haven't even had them going in about a week. Keep forgetting to unlock my glove box to get my faceplate out. lol

Old 12-11-2009, 12:45 AM

Unless this weather is an indication that we are going into another ice age, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. If it is, you won't have to worry about bass for your car, but wood for your fire.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by trewyn15
haha i suppose your right...

for once...

just kidding! lol
Yeah, my differing opinion seems to be always wrong to some!

Old 12-18-2009, 02:41 PM

I've been wondering about my subs I have well... Had da 12 inch kenwood w3011 those things hit hard but one cold morning I warmed the car up 4 like 15mins n cranked up my radio abit n boom my kenwoods are history I didn't have these things 4 a month

Old 12-18-2009, 03:02 PM

I lived in Puerto Rico for a while and the heat/humidity destroyed my 6 mo JLs. I don't anything past extreme weather anymore.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:42 AM

it wound not be very wise to have them hit hared right away. after the cars interior is wormed up and the amp is wormed up then you can go crazy. but be carfull if you have to much bass the cold glass could brake or crake

Old 01-21-2010, 02:58 AM

cold weather is not bad for your system, atleast to a practical level, i live in mi and its absolutly freezing and i allways bump the system year round. it is for sure a lot quiet and dirtyier in the winter though, first of all holy rattling does my car rattle in the winter, second of all your windows are up in the winter, if you have your windows a tiny bit cracked theres an opening for the bass to escape instead of bouncing off the inside of your sealed car and canceling itself out. this is alot more noticble if your doing it big, i know i move so much air in my car that the bass has no where to go with the windows up, it all so sounds a little distorted. (during comps they allways roll there windows down) lastly bass travels more efficiently and much further in the warm cause the molecules are all spread out. i know that right now when i turn my system up half way it takes my mirror about 45seconds to slowly point straight down to the ground where in the summer it takes 2 seconds. allso when you were talking about the amps being lower ohms thats correct but allso when you listen to your system for a lil while the voice coils inside of the subs will warm up from the current and raise the impendence of the sub a little and cause the amp to push less power. (subs are loudest the first minuite there turned on from sitting for a while)

Old 02-17-2010, 11:38 PM

I live in Iowa as well so I definitely know about the cold. Just make sure not to **** on them to hard until your car is nice and warm and they've been moving at low volume, after that theyll be fine. Yes subs do need to be "broken in" from the out of box state. I work at a store that sells High end audio equipment, (JL Audio, Focal, etc.) when we build new systems to put in our soundroom for demos, before we demo them we put in a cd that plays a series of different low's on repeat. Really makes a difference in sound after awhile. As for personal oppinions noted above, your right it definitely is not a necessity but it is better on the subs.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:18 AM

Well I've never had a problem with my 12s and I've had them in during the Wyoming winters for the past three years or so. Played them down to -30 without any cold related problems. At those temps I'm just glad my car starts and warms up quick like.