Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

subs

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 05:57 PM

well you'll need line converts, a bass reconstructor or some sort of processoring asuming you dont intend to replace the stock radio in that, i see no reason you really should need to, its a pretty nice setup. are you changing out the speakers or anything?

Old 01-19-2011, 06:07 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

What all are you looking to buy. Just amp and subs and wiring. Are you looking to purchase a head unit.. I would at least recommend that. Are you going to install aftermarket speakers.. I would power them with an amp too.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:38 PM

first off, good job on getting ur rents to buy a ride like that haha.. my father wouldnt trust me with a supercharger .. if i were u, i would get audio stuff put in professionally. I have two 12 inch jl w0s with a j2 500.1 amp and they sound great.. i have a kenwood excelon stereo which is a very nice pair and it looks pretty good with the monte interior. Deffinetly upgrade to subs first and you will need RCA cables, Power cables, and an amp shutoff wire.You may also want to upgrade your battery because the AC delco battery i have in my monte cant handle it and im going to switch it out for a yellow top optima battery (even tho its pricey). you can run your subs off your stock stereo with a line out kit but it really doesnt sound as good. but if you choose to get it professionally installed and go with the stuff i have your going to look at over a grand when its all said and done.. dont let that scare you tho because if u like music then it will be a really good investment, especially if you go with jl audio because they put in years of research into their products. so go with subs and stereo first because that needs the most attention.. you can upgrade your speakers later when you wana step yo game up (haha) and then you will need either a second amp or a 5 channel amp to run everything and just get rid of your mono amp. Once you upgrade everything you most likely will need to upgrade your entire electrical system (alternator, wires, ect.)

Old 01-19-2011, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Markisballer
My dad just bought me a 2004 monte carlo ss supercharged, the dale earnhardt jr edition, i am wodnering what the biggest sub box i can get would be? and links to any websites that have good deals on sub systems. thanks
Well, that depends if you want the box to be taken in and out of the trunk easily or not. If so, the largest box would be around the 4.5cu.ft. range.....I had a 4cu.ft. box in mine and before and it could be taken in and out pretty easily but in a certain manner or else it wasn't happening so it couldn't be much bigger than that.

The other option would be to build the box inside the trunk and then you can get at least 6-8cu.ft. box in there easily. All depend on how hardcore you wanna get with it.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:56 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I say you will be about $2,500 for everything. Decent head unit, interface, 2 amps, 4 speakers, 2 subs, cables, wires, dyna matting, custom box, crossovers and the installation labor. This is probably about middle of the road, high end you could be out $3,500 easliy.

I'm adding Massive Audio 6" w / separate tweeter at door, Massive Audio 6x9 w / sep tweeter at deck lid. One Massive Audio competition 10" sub, 2 kicker amps, Pioneer head unit and such and it's setting me back a bit and I shopped around hard for good buys. Still out $2,500 easily on this system.

Last edited by ZIPPY02; 05-26-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
I say you will be about $2,500 for everything. Decent head unit, interface, 2 amps, 4 speakers, 2 subs, cables, wires, dyna matting, custom box, crossovers and the installation labor. This is probably about middle of the road, high end you could be out $3,500 easliy.

I'm adding Massive Audio 6" w / separate tweeter at door, Massive Audio 6x9 w / sep tweeter at deck lid. One Massive Audio competition 10" sub, 2 kicker amps, Pioneer head unit and such and it's setting me back a bit and I shopped around hard for good buys. Still out $2,500 easily on this system.
you can build way more than a middle of the road system for 2500 my friend, YOU'RE out 2500 so fast because your buying massive audio..which i highly recommend you stay away from, they arent bad but they are extreamly over priced for what they are. anyhow, lets see my system, my amps are about 450$ a pop, so theirs 900$, than 340 for the sub+ box = about 400$ so 1300$, + 500$ deck so thats 1800$ + 250$ speakers, thats 2,050$ + some 6x9's theirs 100$ so 2150$ + i recently added an ms-8 for 460$ so with all that, thats 2610$ another 500$ and you could have any deck. less we're talking about morels, or massive audio comps here we're looking at the top end speakers being 250$ and tbh, nothings really worth more for the novest. id say 300$ cap on that, 400$ if your going with a 3 way set. so you'r still under 3000 with a top noch system. this is of course with out wiring, or charging system upgrades.

any top noch sub is going to be around 300-400$ persoanly i like jbl's gti's but thats me they also happen to be very affordable for what they are. 230$ for th 10"s 280$ for the 12"s and 338$ for the 15"s. but that's me. the polk sr's are nice, the L7's from kicker are nice if you wanna go pure SPL. but please don't put 4k watts in your system. the charge system can't support that stock, and if you don't know what your doing i highly recommend you stay inside your cars specs car can easily support 800 watts RMS, plus a 4 channel amp doing 80-150 watts RMS x4 with out any problem. i woudln't go more than 800-1200 watts rms, nobody needs more than that, as long as you buy the right gear it'll be just as loud as any geloope ghetto blaster you and most people probably have in mind when they think about car audio.

Last edited by walkingonabullet; 01-20-2011 at 05:00 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:30 PM

What size subs are you looking to run? I suggest the Sundown SA line of subs if you're trying to stay on a budget, as well as Audioque amps. AQ does rated and has some killer prices. If you have a little bit of money to play with, and want something STUPID, a DC level 5 18" will operate in 5.5 cubes... however, this sub needs around 4k to get the most out of it. The DC Level 4 XL gets down right nasty off of around 2000 watts rms. Audioque HDC3s are also quite the performers, but like relatively large boxes. When you look at the thiele/small paramaters of a sub, check out the VAS. That's the airspace it needs. It's normally given in liters, but it's easy to convert that into cubic feet. Also, I strongly recommend running a second battery in your vehicle for any amplified audio system whatsoever. It helps prevent clipping, which KILLS SUBS. Clipping is basically when your amp is attempting to pull more power than your vehicle can supply. There's a lot to this stuff... I've barely scratched the surface. Do some research, find a box builder to have box constructed FOR YOUR SUB!!! I cannot stress this enough. A box tuned to your tastes and optimized for a certain sub will flat-out crush most pre-fabs. Just do research bro... there are a lot of car audio communities online. I'm nowhere near an expert, but I'll be glad to lend help where I can if you need it.

Edit: Top-notch subs for $350 to $400? Hardly bro... not trying to be disrespectful, but most big-name equipment gets crushed by smaller companies. DC, Digital Designs, Sundown, Cascade, Cactus Sounds.... For instance, the DC level 5 can be had for about $550 new from a few dealers. This is, of course, a sub that weight in the neighborhood of 80 lbs.

Last edited by Fatboy501; 01-20-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Fatboy501
What size subs are you looking to run? I suggest the Sundown SA line of subs if you're trying to stay on a budget, as well as Audioque amps. AQ does rated and has some killer prices. If you have a little bit of money to play with, and want something STUPID, a DC level 5 18" will operate in 5.5 cubes... however, this sub needs around 4k to get the most out of it. The DC Level 4 XL gets down right nasty off of around 2000 watts rms. Audioque HDC3s are also quite the performers, but like relatively large boxes. When you look at the thiele/small paramaters of a sub, check out the VAS. That's the airspace it needs. It's normally given in liters, but it's easy to convert that into cubic feet. Also, I strongly recommend running a second battery in your vehicle for any amplified audio system whatsoever. It helps prevent clipping, which KILLS SUBS. Clipping is basically when your amp is attempting to pull more power than your vehicle can supply. There's a lot to this stuff... I've barely scratched the surface. Do some research, find a box builder to have box constructed FOR YOUR SUB!!! I cannot stress this enough. A box tuned to your tastes and optimized for a certain sub will flat-out crush most pre-fabs. Just do research bro... there are a lot of car audio communities online. I'm nowhere near an expert, but I'll be glad to lend help where I can if you need it.

Edit: Top-notch subs for $350 to $400? Hardly bro... not trying to be disrespectful, but most big-name equipment gets crushed by smaller companies. DC, Digital Designs, Sundown, Cascade, Cactus Sounds.... For instance, the DC level 5 can be had for about $550 new from a few dealers. This is, of course, a sub that weight in the neighborhood of 80 lbs.
it was more of a generalized statment, since he really has no idea where on the scale the better stuff starts (in general) and where the chepa stuff is, which is in my opinon, the most imported and hardest thing to learn when getitng into car audio, is the brands, and what true value is.

of anyone I of course know the bigger brands, jbl, polk, alpine, are gonna be shun down by bands like sundown, AQ (forgot to mention those two brands btw, good stuff ) and of course my faverate, image dynamic. but realisticly, expectly sombody to jump in the watters on a sub like that, i woudln't even advise it. for one, expensive, and the main reasons, they woudln't know HOW to use it, or how NOT to use it. which genraly ends bad, and of course no disrespect back at you, was just trying to cover the bases to explain the ins and ours a bit.

back on topic for a bit, size isn't relevent i believe he was more interested in us pointing him in some directions, and persoanly, i like 12"s just a litle fyi, they have the oomph, but still retain the speed excurstions with out to much resistance that the 15"s can experience, since a 15" vrs a 12" is about i believe sombody told me 56% more surface area. perhaps a bit of an exaggeration but you get the picture. of course, 10's and even 8"s will give you the best SQ, especially if you can get them INSIDE the cabin

Last edited by walkingonabullet; 01-20-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

Originally Posted by walkingonabullet
of course, 10's and even 8"s will give you the best SQ, especially if you can get them INSIDE the cabin
Thats why im going to be putting an 8" sub(either JL w3v3 or Rockford P2) in each of my door panels. Along with 6.5" component separates(Rockford T1) and one 4" (Rockford T1)

My Custom door Panels will start to be made as soon as the rest of my trunk panels are finished.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:06 AM

He can get into the sundown/aq game fairly cheap.... 2 sa12s and an AQ1200D will run less than 450 shipped. For the money spent, that combo will get plenty loud with the correct enclosure. The 1200D is right at RMS for the SA-12s as well (600 a piece) although a lot of people run 1k to them daily with no problems. It will also allow him to keep his stock electrical. Check woofersetc.com for the Sa-12s and audioque.com for the AQ1200D. As far as 8s in the doors.... go ahead, but they do make 8, 10, and even 12" mid-woofers. Running a subwoofer in each door will take up quite a bit of your footwell, but to each his own.

Quick Reply: subs