Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Sub Question

Old 02-18-2013, 06:03 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Sub Question

I have a question, recently i turned my sub amp up(to +6db) for some more bass, but i'm noticing while listening to the radio that sometimes theres loads of bass and other times theres almost none. Is this a wiring issue on my part or just variations in the radio signal coming in?

Old 02-18-2013, 07:58 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

are you listening to the same songs as before? turn the gain down and see if it continues... you may have songs that are too low for the higher gain. If that's the case, back down your gain or say bye to the sub lol

Old 02-18-2013, 08:56 PM
5 Year Member

Same music as before, and its even on songs that are super bassy. Just normal songs, sometimes it'll really have alot of bass and other times theres hardly any.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:01 AM

so the songs dont sound right than take off the +6db friend. if it aint broke dont fix it.

if your not happy with your bass their are options

Old 02-19-2013, 11:03 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Keane are you useing an after market or factory radio?

Im still useing my Factory radio..(its been adapted to my system).
Either way...You just may need to reset your mixer controls on the radio its self... I leave my settings neutral on the radios mixer... Then I compensate for any over/lack of with a seperate bass control to either turn my subs up or down (depending on the song) Also signal has a direct effect on the "Quality" of the sound. Got to remember theres all kinds of signals in the air. Radio,CB's,Television,Phones...Buildings,Powerline s,...Even Electric Motors.., Weather Conditions.Etc.. It could also be a ground issue...

I guess its best to try the simple things first...Like a ground or a corroted connection.. Or could be also the car Battery starting fail...

I'd be curious to findout what was causeing that issue for you.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:19 PM

play with the frequencies i bet your amp is tuned beyond the subs capability for either HPF or LPF

Old 02-19-2013, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member

I honestly don't think the amp is tuned beyong the subs ability. But i might just end up turning it back down. The variations in bass are really annoying. I'm really thinking its changes in the FM signal coming in. I'll have to try it with my ipod and see if it does the same thing and Dave its the factory radio.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:23 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93
I honestly don't think the amp is tuned beyong the subs ability. But i might just end up turning it back down. The variations in bass are really annoying. I'm really thinking its changes in the FM signal coming in. I'll have to try it with my ipod and see if it does the same thing and Dave its the factory radio.
Since you like me are useing the "stock" radio... The built in equalizer shows rock,country,jazz,news. Then it has a setting for no equalizer type.
I use the no type EQ sound... Then all you have to do is reset each station/ button that way...(with no EQ enhancement) ... and you should be all set.!

Try the just adjusting your treble and base seperately.. Like for instance...
I have my treble set all the way up. The base is set in the middle.. See if that
doesnt help resolve what your hearing.... Not all songs are created equally on the radio... So, you can expect some variances in sound quality.

What I would recommend... Have someone or do it yourself if you know how ... Put a base gain control in it...That way you control how much or how little base you want to hear.

Hope this helps!

Old 02-19-2013, 08:01 PM
5 Year Member

Thats how i've controlled the radio since day one. But its not so much song to song, even with in the same song bass comes and goes, and its not the music itself.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:37 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

was it doing this before you turned it up or not?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sub Question