Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

speaker swap out

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 02:55 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default speaker swap out

ok, so heres the deal. i swapped out my rear deck speakers in my 03 ss a few months back. that was such a pain. i put low end kicker 6x9's back there. they arent doing to great, and the only reason i put them in their is because i got a sweet deal on them through a friend, 30 bucks. now, after doing all that i want my infinity 3 ways back there, so i guess im gonna put them in. my big problem is that i want the front to be infinity kappa components. they make them, but they are 5 1/4 inch speakers, not 6 1/2 inch. crutchfield says they will fit my vehicle, but i was reading the reviews and people say that the tweeter is so bulky their is no where to put it. It has a huge mounting depth. Any ideas? Also, i've never set up a component set, anybody walk me through it? how and where to put the crossover, wires? in a month or so im going to be adding the kenwood ddx412 dvd/nav system for my headunit, but i want to change the speakers out now so i dont get slammed for cash, rather do this all over time.

also, how hard is it to add an amp and the headunit to this car? i've heard that the onstar can be a pain to deal with. why? i could care less about my onstar, i will never use and and never have.

anybody know anyone in the S.F. area that will do this for cheap?!?! save me a headache [&o]

Old 11-20-2008, 08:41 AM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL
Default RE: speaker swap out

I have installed everything when it comes to a system except a Set component set of speakers so i cant help you there. The Amp would not be that hard to do its just you simple connections, the headunit is a completely different story for a late model GM Like your monte. in my 03 you need a really expensive wiring harness which you can get for as little as $30 to $100. but that is so you can keep some of stuff that the factory radio does. I think you can bypass this if you did it correctly, if you were addin an amp i think it be better to bypass it because the only thing that id did for my was beep at me like if the keys were in the ignition and the door was open, but if it goes to a aftermarket amp it wont beep cause its not gettin the signal to beep because those RCA for that are not hooked up.

I have installed everythin in my monte myself except for the Head unit with the wiring harness for that reason.

I live in PA so i cant help you on ano locations.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:37 PM
Default RE: speaker swap out

ORIGINAL: 2003supersport

ok, so heres the deal. i swapped out my rear deck speakers in my 03 ss a few months back. that was such a pain. i put low end kicker 6x9's back there. they arent doing to great, and the only reason i put them in their is because i got a sweet deal on them through a friend, 30 bucks. now, after doing all that i want my infinity 3 ways back there, so i guess im gonna put them in. my big problem is that i want the front to be infinity kappa components. they make them, but they are 5 1/4 inch speakers, not 6 1/2 inch. crutchfield says they will fit my vehicle, but i was reading the reviews and people say that the tweeter is so bulky their is no where to put it. It has a huge mounting depth. Any ideas? Also, i've never set up a component set, anybody walk me through it? how and where to put the crossover, wires? in a month or so im going to be adding the kenwood ddx412 dvd/nav system for my headunit, but i want to change the speakers out now so i dont get slammed for cash, rather do this all over time.

also, how hard is it to add an amp and the headunit to this car? i've heard that the onstar can be a pain to deal with. why? i could care less about my onstar, i will never use and and never have.

anybody know anyone in the S.F. area that will do this for cheap?!?! save me a headache [&o]
Keep in mind that as long as you're running the stereo via OEM amp that you aren't going to be giving your speakers enough power as that amp is rated at 2ohms, IIRC. And most likely your speakers are 4ohms so it's effectively doubling the resistance the amp "see's" and basically halving it's output.

As for placement of the tweeters, you have a couple options. The best option would be to get some kick pods and put your component sets in there, it would alleviate any issues with having enough space to mount any of the component set components and would give you the best SQ. Second best would be to install the mid in the stock location and remove the stock tweeter and see if you can mount the tweet from the components in the stock location as well. That way you keep your tweet as close as possible to the mid, which is best for imaging, and the stealth installation wouldn't attract the attention of passers by. Lastly, you could mount the mid in the stock location and the tweeter somewhere on the door panel. This is how I did mine because I didn't have the cash for kick pods and my tweeter was too big to fit the stock location. It's not the best as far as imaging goes, but it gets the job done and sounds decent, it's not like it's going to be horrible, unless you're a hardcore SQ competition guy. Here's a pic of where I mounted mine.

It's not hard to add an amp and head unit, it all depends on how much knowledge you have of this kind of stuff and how mechanically inclined you are. It would be very hard for someone to do that with no experience and with little mechanical aptitude. I would do alot of research before I took on something like that because with all the computer controlled stuff on your Monte you are risking alot. You might just be better off taking it to a good stereo shop and let them deal with it.