Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Door speaker shorting out

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 08:41 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Cool Door speaker shorting out

For the past several months the speaker in the drivers side door has been cutting off and on; it is very intermittent. What would be the best solution to have this repaired...have the dealer repair it or a car audio shop? Thanks for any and all help!!

Michael

Old 05-05-2009, 07:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

STAY AWAY FROM THE DEALERS! Find a shop that's been around for 30 years, and use someone that you've been referred to. Simple, right? YAH, RIGHT!

There are so many possibilities here, it's almost scary. It could be something as simple as a bad connection somewhere, or a pinched wire. Have you had the door panels off or the dash apart? There is a distinct possibility that the deck is bad. Or the amp. I don't care where you take it, somebody's going to try to sell you something.

Here's what I'd do if everything is stock: I'd find that local shop with the audio expertise and the quality reputation. Then I'd go looking for a new set of door speakers, telling them you think a speaker is bad. By going in with a purchase in mind, you've accomplished several things:
1. Your labor charge will be minimal compared to other options, and troubleshooting costs should be minimal also. A GOOD shop might know what the problem is just by hearing your problem.
2. You've just upgraded your speakers to something WAY better than stock, and while at it, you might consider new rear speakers, but that totally up to you.
3. IF you have other problems, you can now upgrade your deck to a Mosfet 50 powered deck, like a Pioneer with no amp required, and have WAY better sound than the factory deck.

Hope some of this helps, and good luck to you.

PS, another alternative: Find a buddy that's good with car stereos and buy him a case of beer for an evening's troubleshooting! And I'd start with the speaker and backtrack for problems.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:14 AM

Thanks for the advise! I figured an audio shop would be the better way to go. Id like to keep the stock deck if at all possible; I just like the look of it and still want to be able to use the controls on the steering wheel to adjust the volume and stations and such. Upgraded speakers on the other hand sounds like a great idea!!!