Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

So do you guys think this idea is possible?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 01:23 AM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default So do you guys think this idea is possible?

The other week, i was installing a basic system to her stock pioneer head unit in her 07 scion tc.I fell in love with the little flip down cover it has to cover the head unit.

you could see it here, its flipped open

http://image.motortrend.com/f/831944...er_Console.jpg

I live in compton and the theft rate is a bit higher than most areas so i have a system in my car with the stock head unit so if someone was to pass by my car, they wont assume that i have a system. I've been wanting to upgrade to double din head unit but scared to get it stolen. After all, they are pretty pricey.

with that in mind, ive been thinking of making a similar cover for a future double din head unit for my monte. I would like to make one that is completely detachable, like when i step in my car, i can just pull it off and pull it on as i like, nothing permanent. I just need some opinions on what kind of material i can use.or if someone wants try this before me and tell me how it went. i say that because im not creative nor am i crafty like that.lol. if i ever get this done, it would be sweet to put an ss decal right on the face of the cover! so any material sugguestions?and what can i use to keep it in place when its on?

Old 03-16-2011, 03:57 AM

I havn't seen one done around here, but completly doable, just depends how much you want to do it

Old 03-16-2011, 02:44 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member

maybe thinking about using black ABS and putting foam tape on the edge to kind of force it on and fit snug whenever i want it on.and add with one of those small pull straps on one end to be able to pull it to detach it?

idk, thats where the idea is leaning to but no sure yet.any sugguestions?

another thought was using thin strips of velcro, but i would hate how that looked when its off lol

Old 03-16-2011, 07:54 PM

if you can pull it off....try to get the faceplate of a stock headunit and put that as your cover face...that way it still looks stock at first glance...