Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Well guys, tell me what you think. . .

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 05:27 PM
Default Well guys, tell me what you think. . .

Am I dumb for doing this or does it look ok, and do you think it'll work? I took out my stock air box, and yeah, took it apart and I saw the restriction you guys talk about. So I bought some T309 aluminum piping and bought a filter and attached it not to the actual manifold, but down past all the sensors so I wouldn't set any of them off. . . .take a look and tell me what you think of my basically custom cheap job. Give your honest feedback, because if you guys don't like it or think it looks bad, i'm probably just gonna put my box back on after I gut it. This was basically a trial and error thing. So here it is. . . .

[IMG]local://upfiles/1252/5C016CD52F69450FB2E2C1DCD2DA3450.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1252/AB1CF47EA20C40F2A0F4685128AB53DE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-28-2006, 07:06 PM
Default RE: Well guys, tell me what you think. . .

Wow, that looks great!!!

Is the filter attached to something to keep it from moving around?

Where did you find that piping??

How does it sound? Extra power?

Old 07-28-2006, 09:16 PM

Thanks.

Actually right now I have the PCM sitting down right where the intake box was, I turned it just right so that it is fitting snug down in between the fender well and the AC compressor. So that snug and not moving and the way that I have the 60 degree bend pipe sitting, its sitting the filter right on top of the PCM. And the zip ties on the PCM are preventing the intake from moving at all. I even tested it out and took it out for a spin and hit the gas hard a couple times to see if the filter would move from the pressure of the suction, and nope, didn't move.

I am (if I get good feedback, so far so good) going to keep it and make a mounting bracket for it, which will sit the filter up a little higher and allow for better direct airflow. But right now, money wise it works.

I have noticed better throttle response, and a bit more power it seems. I think if I attached the adaptable hose to the filter to run it to right behind the front bumper I'd get colder air and better power. We'll see.

And as far as sound goes, it sounds awesome. I didn't get on it right off to let the engine get used to it, but on my way to work I raced a Taurus SHO, and it sounded awesome when I put my foot into it. And yes, needless to say, I beat the SHO.

And I got the piping from an exhaust shop near where I live that does exhuast. The mandarl bend is what I needed, and he had a 3" polished aluminum pipe and cut it to fit for me for free. It was trash otherwise. I guess I got lucky when I was asking around. But I know you can get some 3" piping from places like AutoZone, and use some polishing agent and get a good shine on it. And take it to an exhaust shop and have them bend it for you. If not for free, it would be really cheap I'm assuming.

Anyone else have an opinion on this idea of mine?

Thanks montejass for the feed back!

MonteriderLS

P.S. --- Does anyone know where I can get a PCM box, or a cover for it to keep it from the elements of weather? I don't really want it getting wet or muddy. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-29-2006, 01:00 AM

hey buddy,
i actually did the SAME THING on my 00 ls but with a red filter and red coupling. Unfortunately though, the monte is going to pull in to much hot air in that location without some sort of heat shield. For instense, take you're car for a semi-heavy drive to warm it up, when you get home pop the hood and touch the filter, and you're piping. 9 out of ten times says its gunna be hot! Im sure it sounds great i know mine did, and you WILL feel a slight more power when the engine is hot, but lemme tell you, as soon as you warm up, you will actualy be loosing power over stock. Yes you are flowing more air, but its hot air. You're best bet would be to get the thrasher intake for the 3.8 and use youre piping wraped in exhaust wrap to connect the piece to you're MAF. Or you could go the cheap route. Find a 99+ buick lesabre/ bonniville (H-body) air box and GUT it. you can fit a much larger filter in (9" k&N) verse you're stock monte box. Good luck and nice looking craftsmanship.

Old 07-29-2006, 01:04 AM

oh, and by the way, if you keep the setup you have now you can get a polycarbon tray to protect you're PCM from www.3800performance.com under air induction. I believe its manufactured by motorsports

Old 07-29-2006, 01:45 AM

Thanks for the update! Thats the info I need!

So where I can I find the thrasher intake at? If I may ask.

And do you have any pictures of yours? I'd like to see what it looks like.

I did notice that after driving it for awhile it just didn't have the pickup like when I just started it. And would extending the piping down into the fenderwell and putting the intake there help any? Maybe save me some trouble of having to buy another intake, or box.

Thanks for the input, its really needed. I'm currently going all out on my 00 LS monte. I want it to run up there with the SS's. haha, can you tell I have its an LS? so yeah, I'm doing all the mods I can find performance wise. And if I can't find em, I'm doing em myself LOL As you can tell. So thanks again in advance for any input. and if you got pictures i'd like to see! I'm sure the red would look really good too!

MonteRiderLS

Old 07-29-2006, 02:30 AM

Well here we go,

First off, you could find the Thrasher CAI (cold air intake if you're wondering) on www.3800performance.com Under the Air Induction section. I have not yet installed the thrasher setup, im still running the same thing as you, if you'd like a picture of that i can post it.

I am in the same delema as you, i dont want to dish out the money right now if i dont have to lol. But heres the deal:
If you want to extend the piping down into the fender well by all means you definatly can. I would STRONGLY recomend though, that you purchase an AEM bypass valve. What this will do is in the event you're filter becomes submerged in water (I.E. a big puddle) the valve will to filter out water to avoid hydrolock of you're nice motor. Essentially this would be the ideal setup because it is a TRUE cold air intake, as opposed to the Thrasher which almost acts as a ram air.

As far as runnning with the SS's, all you really need to do is a u-bend delete, a nice cat back exhaust, MAF screen delete, and a high flow cat would be good to get you into the ballpark. But please lets do ourselves some favors and ditch these intakes weve got now lol. Sound great and perform well out of the pen, but thats about it. Keep cranking up that LS and please dont hesitate to ask if you've got any other questions/ concerns about anything else LS related

Old 07-29-2006, 04:03 AM

Dang, you sure do know alot. You've done your research LOL.

One more question. . . .then I'll leave you alone LOL, I'm definitly ditching this intake setup after what you've said, and I'm going to run it into the fenderwell. So. . .where can I locate an AEM bypass valve? Is that at the 3800performance.com site too? I don't really have time to check into seeing as I'm at work. But I'll check when I get home.

And yeah, if you have any pictures of your setup (CAI) post em please. I like seein what other LS owners do to their cars. I'm going to be posting some more pics of my car this weekend when I get time to take some.

And thanks alot for the help. I'm definitly doing the fenderwell intake. Like I said, this was a trial and error thing. LOL I wanted an intake so bad that I looked past some of the potential problems. But I really looked into the fenderwell thing and was kinda sketchy about it until you told me about the bypass valve.

Keep me posted and ask me some things too if you want to know. I know quite a bit myself. . .LOL just not about our intakes since everyone else has the SS and it sucks having an LS. And yeah, my next project after this intake bit is over, is my exhaust. Definitly going all out there.

Thanks.

MonteriderLS

Old 07-29-2006, 02:03 PM

Hey Brian, Super Write Up & Good Job on the Intake.
EnJoyed....Safe/Happy Miles 2 U.

`Space

Old 07-29-2006, 03:24 PM

Im pretty sure you can get an AEM bypass valve from summit racing catalogue under the "sport compact" section. They come in a range of diffrent diameters from 2.5 all the way to 4" i believe. Regardless theres definatly one to suit you're needs.

I will try to post some pics of my identical intake later lol.

...oh and btw, dont hate LS, appriciate. It makes our creativity much more noticeable

Quick Reply: Well guys, tell me what you think. . .