Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

7th Gen ('06-'07): Self Programming Duplicate Key

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 11:13 AM
3 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Self Programming Duplicate Key

Hey folks, this may be common knowledge but I thought I would post up in hopes of saving some members a little $$$. I had to have a duplicate key made for my '06 and since it's encrypted I couldn't have it done at the local Lowe's or hardware store. I went to the dealer and the key cost me $32 and some change and I was told to go to the service department to have it programmed for another $40. When the parts manager left the counter guy told me I could do it myself but just starting the car with the existing key then shutting it off and (in under 10-15 seconds) use the new key to start the car and the car would program the new key. It worked and I saved $40. I hope this helps anyone that needs a key made.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:34 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thats a good tip, glad it worked for you. I'm glad the 04 just has a regular key.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:47 PM
Cool thanx

thanx for the info
but do you happen to know about programming the remote i bought one online but i have no idea how to program it. on my 07MC SS

Old 04-06-2012, 07:02 AM
3 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I had to by a key fob online as well and the instructions below are what the vendor sent me to program my fob. Pretty simple and it worked the first time. I hope it helps you.

PROCEDURE #1
THIS PROCEDURE IS FOR VEHICLES WITH THE DRIVER INFORMATION CENTER. IT WILL BE A BUTTON TO THE RIGHT OF THE STEERING WHEEL WITH A VEHICLE ICON AND THE LETTER i.
1.Insert key and switch the ignition ON (just shy of starting vehicle without cranking engine)
2. Press vehicle information button until PRESS TO RELEARN REMOTE KEY is displayed.
3. Press the set/reset button (button will have a checkmark) until REMOTE KEY LEARNING ACTIVE is displayed. Vehicle is now in programming mode.
4. Press and hold LOCK and UNLOCK buttons at the same time on first remote for approximately 15 seconds. An acoustic signal will be heard indicating successful programming.
5. Repeat step 4. to program additional remotes. You can have up to 8 programmed remotes for this vehicle. You must program ALL remotes including existing remotes.
6. To exit programming mode turn ignition OFF, remove key and test all remotes.
PROCEDURE #2
THIS PROCEDURE IS FOR VEHICLES WITHOUT THE DRIVERS INFORMATION CENTER.
1. Insert key into the ignition and turn to ON (Just shy of starting vehicle without cranking engine).
2. Press the trip odometer reset button until RELEARN REMOTE KEY is displayed.
3. Press and hold the trip odometer reset button for approximately 3 seconds until REMOTE KEY LEARNING ACTIVE displays.
4. Press and hold LOCK and UNLOCK buttons at the same time on first remote for approximately 15 seconds. An acoustic signal will be heard indicating successful programming.
5. Repeat step 4. to program additional remotes. You can have up to 8 programmed remotes for this vehicle. You must program ALL remotes including existing remotes.
6. To exit programming mode turn ignition OFF, remove key and test all remotes.