Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

removing the backseat

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 09:12 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default removing the backseat

wsup yall?

for the longest time ive wanted to take out my backseat and put something in there that i can mount speakers to. i looked all over the internet for pics and anything that would help me in the removal process, i even went to the dealership and asked them if they would do it for me. i finally decided that i would do it all myself and i hope these pics can help you guys out, or even if youre just curious as to how its all put together

there are 2 threaded pins that pull straight off

2 bolts hold the bottom of the seat to the frame. they get exposed when you pull off the corner piece

under the bottom of the seat, in the front there are 2 rubber clips. this is the hole without the rubber piece in there

this is the bottom of the seat with the rubber piece still attached

the bottom of the seat without the rubber piece

a clearer view without the bottom of the seat. there are 5 bolts total that hold the backrest to the frame of the car. 2 are removed when you pull the bottom out, 2 hold the seatbelts and 1 in the middle

once the whole backrest is out, undo the snap to expose the bolts that hold the sides on. 2 on each side

the sides off

the whole backseat disassembled

my replacement backrest

the 2 blocks at the bottom that i drilled a hole into so it can lean forward and back when i put it back together

you can see the pin on the ground that goes into the side at the bottom so it can swivel

all put together, before i cut speaker holes in it

leaned down before i put it back in the car

the final product. i have a black curtain with a red SS on it to hang over it

a curtain i made to hang in the trunk. let me kno what you guys think.

ive done everything myself, pretty much from ideas that i get and i put them together as i do them. thats how i came up with the curtain and the backseat idea. i pretty much freestyled my way thru it all

i hope this helps cuz i kno it definitely would have helped me before i started this project. lemme kno what you think of everything

Old 06-19-2011, 09:27 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member

Do you have 3 MTX Thunder 6000's in that box? I use to have a box just like that with those subs. I sold them though a year ago. Good job with the pics and instructions!

Old 06-19-2011, 09:46 PM

nice like the trunk

Old 06-19-2011, 10:07 PM

Looks pretty good, would love to see subs in place of the 6x9's!

do you have plans for the carpet gap where the lower seat was?

for a cleaner look you could try wrapping the wood with red vinyl, i think that would set it off...

Old 06-20-2011, 03:33 AM

the wood is wrapped in foam with the red material around that. im gonna undo it and try to pull it tighter. i might add more foam to make the 6x9s look like theyre sunk in more but i havent decided yet. the lower seat is in there right now. prolly gonna keep it like that until i can build something to mount subs down there and have them firing up maybe.

those 3 MTX's in there are still goin strong! ive had em for 6 or 7 years and they still knock. if i were gonna upgrade id prolly go with these 1600w 10" kenwoods i found the other day or some alpine's that are close to that.

thanks for the feedback. im always getting new ideas that i wanna do to the ride. im tryna get creative. ill keep puttin my pics up as i go

Old 06-20-2011, 05:21 AM

did you monte have 4 bolts at the top? mine did 2 on each side holding that plastic bar to the rear deck.

anyway, try getting rid of the foam altogether and just stretch the vinyl over it.

to get the 6x9s counter sunk, just put another layer of wood on top of the other one with cutouts a little larger.

kinda like this, but im sure you can make it look a lot better if you take more then 30 seconds to make the cutouts like whoever did this picture, lol.

quick google image search for the lose? or the win for a clear illustration?

Old 06-21-2011, 01:17 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've wanted to take mine out a few times now and never bothered to figure it out. Great write up. Thanks.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:43 AM

my first design i had was having 2 pieces of 3/4 inch plywood sandwiched together to make sure it was strong enough, not only is the 1/2 inch i went with plenty strong enough, but its heavier than i thought. so all that extra weight might not be needed. and with the foam in there, it looks and feels decently like a seat back should feel. i have a black cover over the speakers with a red SS on it(the same size as the one in the trunk) to hide the speakers and take some of the highs away from all the super tweeters and tweeters that are in the 6x9s. it sounds super nice like that

miller
just find the 2 clips under the seat bottom and pull up. either the metal "U" ring that comes out from the seat bottom will come out of the rubber grommet, or the whole grommet will come out. either way is fine