Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

5th Gen ('95-'99): radio compatability

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 09:49 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by MnteCrloSS47
No fair! i want me some wayback burgers! i wanna try the 9 mile high one haha!
haha you gotta wait 'till the october meet you'll like the chatterbox though if you're going to that meet, they've got pretty good food!

Originally Posted by JC Colon`
I say go Aftermarket. Much more flexibility. Do you Keep music on your cell phone or have an MP3 or an IPod? I have a 32Gb memory card in my phone. And over 3000 songs on it. No CDs in my car. I plug my phone into the Aux Jack, hit Play on my phones music player, and Boom, more music from my phone then a hundred CDs could provide.
Then you have HD. If your favorite radio station broadcast in HD the title and artist of the current playing song scrolls across your radio. So you can download that song when you get home.
Thru the Aux jack or with Bluetooth you can talk on your phone thru the cars speakers. The Ultimate Hands Free.
An Aftermarket radio Also makes it easy to add amps and better Speakers. My Monte had a 2 amps and a Big Boom Box when I bought her. But I took them out and just run Head Unit to Speaker. (Too much weight in the trunk for me) The amps and a Good head unit work together to give you a much better Quality of sound. Not just make it Louder like most KIDS think.
At any rate, if you are sporting an older car, the new OEM radios give you all the, But you have to buy a new car to get it. When your old radio craps out on you, buy Aftermarket, they even have hanesses to make the Aftermarket radio Plug and Play for your car. And install kits to make them fit Just Right!
Plus, you only need a basic understanding of electricity and electronics to install a Really decent system. Piece of Cake!

(The above is just the opinion of Me, a child of the 60s & 70s. And should only be considered by those who want, not just music in their cars, But by those who want good quality music in there cars)
well i've got a couple of reasons for not going aftermarket... main one right now is cost. most of the headunits i like run around $100-$120, which is more than i wanna spend on the monte right now. second reason is the controls on most of them are tiny and poorly labeled, which i hate.

HOWEVER you are 100% correct in what a differance they make in sound quality and just overall convience. i've installed a couple of aftermarket headunits in other peoples cars and when you pair a decent quality headunit with some good aftermarket speakers the sound quality you can get is amazing.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:06 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by skylark65
haha you gotta wait 'till the october meet you'll like the chatterbox though if you're going to that meet, they've got pretty good food!

well i've got a couple of reasons for not going aftermarket... main one right now is cost. most of the headunits i like run around $100-$120, which is more than i wanna spend on the monte right now. second reason is the controls on most of them are tiny and poorly labeled, which i hate.

HOWEVER you are 100% correct in what a differance they make in sound quality and just overall convience. i've installed a couple of aftermarket headunits in other peoples cars and when you pair a decent quality headunit with some good aftermarket speakers the sound quality you can get is amazing.
I hear ya! The controls are small. I guess I get use to them Quick cause I'm an undercover electronics geek. I have a radio in my Monte, after market type, that I Really hate. It's got a DVD player in it. When am I wanna be driving and watching Happy Feet? I think not. And if I have the radio on, turn the car off, like at the gas station, when I start the car again I have to turn the radio off then on again to get sound. But, the Stereo I want is $200+. As much as I luv good quality sound, I'm not willing to spending the $$$ on it cause there are other more important things I need to do to the car first.
Thank for the promo on the Chatter Box Meet. Looking forward to a Good time for everyone!

Old 08-01-2013, 11:09 PM

Sony all the way I have the $99 single din and its amazing no problems expect the clock is q bit dumb at times it has amazing quality and is well worth the money and have geek squad install it and get a 1 year warranty on the install

Old 08-02-2013, 11:32 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I like the Sony Explode series, Pioneer Also makes good head units. I've installed head units, amps.speakers and EQs for myself, my kids, their friends, friends of Mine and friends of theirs. But now all I do is my own stuff. I guess I have become my own Geek Squad. They actually tried to hire me But they couldn't give me the $$$ to match my experience. And I like being a Closet Electronics Geek.