Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Questions About Fogs w/ Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 06:27 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Questions About Fogs w/ Headlights

I'm looking for maximum brightness! I live in a dark area following our move a few months ago. So I have a few questions...

Is there any way to have the fog lights on while the high beams are on? Because they turn off automatically when the highs go on.

Is there any way to have just the fog lights come on?

Is there any way to have the lows and highs on at the same time? (Apparently illegal though.)

Thanks for the help!

Old 10-14-2013, 06:32 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

I currently have after market PIAA fog lights on my Monte Carlo that operate from a separate on/off switch.... Granted there are cheaper versions out there... But PIAA's were my fog light of choice. as you can see them in my avatar pick.
Hope this helps!
Maybe someone else will chime in with some other ideas as well.

Last edited by STUMPMI; 10-14-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dubstepticon
I'm looking for maximum brightness! I live in a dark area following our move a few months ago. So I have a few questions...

Is there any way to have the fog lights on while the high beams are on? Because they turn off automatically when the highs go on.
Legally, no. They're supposed to turn off with the high beams.

Wire them up to an independent rocker switch instead of using the button that runs them through the BCM.

Is there any way to have the lows and highs on at the same time? (Apparently illegal though.)
You'd melt the factory wiring if you did that for a long period of time. You can do it with the "flash-to-pass" on the MFS, but again, it's intended for short hits every now and then.

Really, the fog lights aren't going to drastically help with light output. Think about getting some HID headlights if you are looking for better light output. But that's about all you can really do that'll make a noticeable difference.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:10 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member

Thanks for the help!
Dubs,
Have you tried re-Aiming your Headlights. I found mine to be too dark on the back roads from my mother's house in Mid-state NY. That is until I re_aimed my Lights. I Have the Blue/White Lights in mine. Used them in my 98 LS and they were Great. But they didn't provide enough light in my 02 until i realized that they were aimed too much toward the ground. So one night I Aimed them up Higher, not enough to blind oncoming traffic, but enough to light up the underside of a car a cars length and a half in front of me. That made a world of difference. Now my Fogs light up directly in front of my car and the headlights take over from there out about 3 car lengths.
Other than that, Projector Light Housing would be the way to go as far as I know!

Old 10-14-2013, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mike 00LS
Legally, no. They're supposed to turn off with the high beams.

Wire them up to an independent rocker switch instead of using the button that runs them through the BCM.

You'd melt the factory wiring if you did that for a long period of time. You can do it with the "flash-to-pass" on the MFS, but again, it's intended for short hits every now and then.

Really, the fog lights aren't going to drastically help with light output. Think about getting some HID headlights if you are looking for better light output. But that's about all you can really do that'll make a noticeable difference.
Thanks for the help Mike, I'll survive with what I have by re-aiming them like JC said!

Old 10-15-2013, 07:11 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Just chiming in on this. I assume you mean the low beams stay on when the high beams are turned on. The 2006-07 Monte Carlo uses this very feature, as well as other cars nowadays. That feature is NOT illegal (although driving with your high beams on all the time is).

Old 10-15-2013, 07:56 AM

It'll depend on your state. Most states only allow 4 forward facing lights. Regardless, I think adjusting your headlights up will help you out a bit, like Justin said.

I live in an area where there are basically zero lights, even on a lot of highways it's pitch black dark. When I use the flash to pass and have all 6 lights going it's really harder to see, all the light just focuses around the front of the car and you can't see anything down the road. Which is a horrible idea, especially with deer season coming up around here. I've had a couple close calls with them doing that because I couldn't see them.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:20 AM

Hi 'Tyler,
Check out the below & I hope it helps U \

Old 10-15-2013, 09:11 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member

I remember, a Thousand years ago, Having Properly aimed headlights/fog lights was part of the State Inspection. Now a days the only requirement is that they work. It is now up to the driver to adjust the headlights for optimal road illumination. Fortunately for me, when I got my basic learning in cars, how to aim headlights was part of my training. I have seen New cars fresh of the lot with poorly aimed headlights. Most folks don't realize that a decent bumper hit or something like putting a bulb from different manufacturer can throw off the aiming. HIDs Super Whites, Ultra Vision, Blue Whites all sit a little different in your housing.
I should have realized when I did my suspension and put a 2" lift in the rear that I needed to readjust my lights.
For all members who think tour lights are not bright enough, follow the adjustment instructions Space Rider posted above before you go out and get new lights. You may be surprised at the results!

Old 10-15-2013, 09:57 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

To kind of go with what JC mentioned, I just bought a new factory OEM pair of headlights for mine a few months ago and noticed that the aim of the beams is off compared to the originals that came off the car. So, yes, even factory OEM headlights still need to be properly aimed/adjusted once fitted. I have yet to adjust my new ones but I hardly ever drive the car at night or in the dark so it's not really critical for me thus I've been putting it off.