Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

question on sub wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 06:42 PM

that amp doesnt do 1000 watts. it wont be stable at 2 ohms in all liklyhood. I'd look into a different amp if you havn't ordered it yet.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:54 PM
3 Year Member

I may just end up wiring them independant. one channel per voice coil. since each channel runs 250 watts @ 4 ohms.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:06 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

Originally Posted by novagenesis300
I may just end up wiring them independant. one channel per voice coil. since each channel runs 250 watts @ 4 ohms.
Do That. Then you can get the 500RMS out of the sub. Because each coil is 250RMS.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:24 AM
3 Year Member

got the sub in today and wired it independant as stated above. I have to say, this type R is in a league of its own. It sounds incredible.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:39 AM

GOT SPL

Glad to hear it..

Old 01-11-2011, 12:29 PM

pictures or it didn't happen

Old 01-11-2011, 05:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

cool man congrats

Old 01-11-2011, 05:30 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by walkingonabullet
pictures or it didn't happen
x2...

Old 01-16-2011, 08:04 PM

So i invested in a whole new system for the monte. I am getting an alpine type r dual voice coil 12" sub with both coils at 4 ohms and rated at 500RMS. Here is my amp http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=314

I think the best way to wire the amp would be to bridge the 2 channels and wire the sub in parallel. The amp is also rated at 500 rms. I dont want to wire it so that it could potentially blow the woofer due to stupidity. Thoughts?
If your sub is Dual 4, the only ohm loads you can get from it are 8 or 2. That being said, your only option with that amp will be to run each coil off it's own channel on the amp, but then you're only going to be giving it 250 watts rms grand total. It'll make noise but won't get very loud. What you want is an amp that can do at least 500 watts rms into one channel @ 2 ohms.....but those Type R subs are pretty good and can be given a bit more than rms power too....I have a buddy running a pair of them on 1500 watts rms with no problems for the past year and a half.

Originally Posted by Blazed SS
Ok the amp you are looking at is 1 x 500w at 4 ohm Rms so wire it in series so you stay at 4 ohm + to + And - to - And don't blow your sub
If you wire the sub in parallel + to - and - to + it would be 1 x 1000 x 2ohm and blow your 500 w sub
Not so much. The impedance always changes when you connect the coils together, it either doubles or halves, never stays the same. But you're an accomplished db drag guy who's doing 159+ out the trunk, you knew that

Originally Posted by The Popcorn King
Your best bet is to wire it in Parallel and turn down the gain. I would set it at about half gain.
Not so much. That amp isn't stable down to 2 ohms mono so doing so would surely send his amp into protect due to low impedance. OP, don't ever set your gain based on a hypothetical math equation, that's not what it's for or how it works. Set it via DMM if you have one and know how, or the "by ear" method will have to do. It'll be where it'll be.

Originally Posted by jaws2008
This is why I always run mono block amps for subs because you never have the confusion of bridging the amp for subs to get lower ohms with more power.
Yep, that's one of the benefits Class D amps are also more efficient and pull less current than multi-channel amps too.

Originally Posted by walkingonabullet
if you didnt get that kenwood amp, turn away, turn away right now!

I don't think these subs can hit as high a frequency range, the type R's do like 100-400 range, i think these might do 100-150 range. but for a sealed cabin, that will give you more oomph, but dont go ported box unless you are going to have some good equalization control.
Agreed, turn away from this amp if you can. But only because it won't give you the power you need at the impedance you need it.

Dude, who plays their sub up to 100+Hz anyway? My subs play nothing higher than 80, and sometimes I think that's too high. My mids play everything higher 80 and up to 5k and my tweets play from 5k and up. Given his power on tap from that amp, his best bet would be to use a ported box, he'd get more output from that than a sealed....not too sure what you meant by "good equalization control" but either way it's not necessary.

ok. if its pumping 500 watts in bridged mode at 4 ohms, then wont running the two 4 ohm coils in parallel reduce the resistance to the amp to 2 ohms therefore pushing the sub to 1000 watts? Like I said, I just want to be 100% sure cause i dont want to blow subs left and right.
Yes on the resistance, no on the power....that amp isn't stable down to 2 ohms bridged.

Each channel runs 125 watts rms @ 4 ohms, you're gonna be seriously underpowering your sub running it like that so make sure you gain is set properly and take it easy on the volume ****.

got the sub in today and wired it independant as stated above. I have to say, this type R is in a league of its own. It sounds incredible.
What other subs have you had/heard? How did you end up wiring it up? Did you keep that Kenwood amp in your first post?

Old 01-17-2011, 11:39 AM

GOT SPL

Originally Posted by DBS MC
Not so much. The impedance always changes when you connect the coils together, it either doubles or halves, never stays the same. But you're an accomplished db drag guy who's doing 159+ out the trunk, you knew that
No offense to anyone.. But does he have proof to this.. I doubt 2 15" Kicker L7s rear facing in a trunk in our cars would be able to do that.. Was it a test that is official.. and also considering that there only 750 RMS each. The reading must be taken on the dash, and I want to see the results with driver door open and closed as well.. Ya im sure it can do this out of the port but thats a fake reading. If this can be proven this is a real test than I have no further comment. I just doubt those subs can do that.

Quick Reply: question on sub wiring