Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

putting a 4 channel amp on

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Default putting a 4 channel amp on need MAJOR help

ok i have a Kicker zx350.4 that i plan on putting on my factory interiors until i buy some new ones how would i do this i have a double din soundstream in the dash and i already have subs wired in the trunk i'm just trying to figure out how to install it and how would this amp sound on my factory speakers. And if it helps i have a 01............

NEW PROBLEM NEED A SOLUTION
Ok got a little problem first my car for some reason doesnt have a factory amp in my trunk the speakers are being ran straight to the harnest. Problem 2 i had the 4channel amp turned all the way down took out my ( Power, Ground, RCA, and Remote ) out of my Mono amp thats running my subs and put it into my 4channel amp. With the amp turned all the down I ran wires to my two rear 6x9's with the radio volume low after I ran the wires to the two rear speakers the two door speakers stopped working. When I took the speaker wires off my Rear speakers they stopped working radio was still turned up enough to hear sound just none coming out of my interiors. I checked all the fuses behing my radio they were fine but my radio was HOT like burning Hot. And if it helps with out the radio or car being on my speakers started making loud buzzing noise and stopped. Can someone help me out with my problem is.

Last edited by shock081; 11-10-2009 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:40 PM

Nice amp. Since you already have an aftermarket HU, all you should have to do is run another set of RCA wires to the new amp (if you're using the low level outputs of the radio and not the high level ones), wherever you decide to install it, and connect it to the speakers. Depending on what set up you have in the factory system, you can tap into the speaker wire harness that's connected to the factory amp (disconnect it first of course) so you don't have to run speaker wire for now. I would since, I hope, you'll probably end up replacing the speakers eventually. Is your onstar disconnected by the way? If it is you should have no problems taping into that harness, if you have the factory amp in the trunk that is. Anyway, it isn't that hard to rewire for the speakers and going with a heavier gauge is always a good idea.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by shock081
ok i have a Kicker zx350.4 that i plan on putting on my factory interiors until i buy some new ones how would i do this i have a double din soundstream in the dash and i already have subs wired in the trunk i'm just trying to figure out how to install it and how would this amp sound on my factory speakers. And if it helps i have a 01
I would be careful, when I replaced the stocks in my car they were 2ohm models. I've never amped factory speakers but judging from the night and day difference I heard just by replacing them I'd say amping them would be a waste of time.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:28 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

If you were going to go through the trouble of installing an amp, I wouldnt use the factory wires. They are pretty small. Find a way to mount your amp wherever you want to put it, then run two sets of RCA cables from the headunit back to the amp. Then you run speaker wires from the amp to each of the speakers. I wouldnt however, run stock speakers with an amp. I dont know if they can even handle enough power to make it worth it. Just wait until you get your new speakers to install the amp.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:24 AM

I actually ran my stock fronts amped for a couple weeks while I was waiting for some parts and it won't sound any worse than before, you just have to keep the gain nice and low so you don't over power them. And you'll be plenty safe on stock wires like that, since you shouldn't be sending much more power through them anyway.

Depending on what you've got installed already, make sure your main power wire can support another amp. If it can, you'll just want a distribution block for the power wire, and maybe the ground if you want to do it that way. Then run the new RCAs and daisy-chain the remote wire and you're good to go.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by mrl390
If you were going to go through the trouble of installing an amp, I wouldnt use the factory wires. They are pretty small. Find a way to mount your amp wherever you want to put it, then run two sets of RCA cables from the headunit back to the amp. Then you run speaker wires from the amp to each of the speakers. I wouldnt however, run stock speakers with an amp. I dont know if they can even handle enough power to make it worth it. Just wait until you get your new speakers to install the amp.
The amount of power those speakers would be getting wouldn't make it necessary to rewire them...they can't handle much power anyway. However, since he plans on replacing them in the future anyway it would be one less thing he'd have to then if he did it now. Either way, it's not gonna make an audible difference nor would it be a safety issue.

Originally Posted by Dbl_D718
Depending on what you've got installed already, make sure your main power wire can support another amp. If it can, you'll just want a distribution block for the power wire, and maybe the ground if you want to do it that way. Then run the new RCAs and daisy-chain the remote wire and you're good to go.
This man speaks the truf!

Old 11-10-2009, 10:33 AM

Ok got a little problem first my car for some reason doesnt have a factory amp in my trunk the speakers are being ran straight to the harnest. Problem 2 i had the 4channel amp turned all the way down took out my ( Power, Ground, RCA, and Remote ) out of my Mono amp thats running my subs and put it into my 4channel amp. With the amp turned all the down I ran wires to my two rear 6x9's with the radio volume low after I ran the wires to the two rear speakers the two door speakers stopped working. When I took the speaker wires off my Rear speakers they stopped working radio was still turned up enough to hear sound just none coming out of my interiors. I checked all the fuses behing my radio they were fine but my radio was HOT like burning Hot. And if it helps with out the radio or car being on my speakers started making loud buzzing noise and stopped. Can someone help me out with my problem is.

Last edited by shock081; 11-10-2009 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:53 AM

First advice: using proper grammar and such in your posts makes it a lot easier to read and understand what the problem is.

Now with your stereo, did you do all of this wire swapping with the stereo powered on? If you did, that's a good way to fry stuff, I've done it myself. It's highly recomended that if you're going to swap power and RCA wires that you disconnect the negative battery cable. You can get away with leaving it hooked up a lot of the time, but it never hurts to be safe. But no matter what, ALWAYS shut the stereo off before doing any wire swapping.

What do you mean by the speakers are being ran straight to the harness? Do you mean it's just straight wiring to the back of the headunit, or wired to a harness connected to a silver "box" in the trunk? Also, if you did not disconnect the original wires from the rear speakers and just added the new wires from the amp on top of what was already there, that could have caused permanent damage to your headunit.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dbl_D718
First advice: using proper grammar and such in your posts makes it a lot easier to read and understand what the problem is.

Now with your stereo, did you do all of this wire swapping with the stereo powered on? If you did, that's a good way to fry stuff, I've done it myself. It's highly recomended that if you're going to swap power and RCA wires that you disconnect the negative battery cable. You can get away with leaving it hooked up a lot of the time, but it never hurts to be safe. But no matter what, ALWAYS shut the stereo off before doing any wire swapping.

What do you mean by the speakers are being ran straight to the harness? Do you mean it's just straight wiring to the back of the headunit, or wired to a harness connected to a silver "box" in the trunk? Also, if you did not disconnect the original wires from the rear speakers and just added the new wires from the amp on top of what was already there, that could have caused permanent damage to your headunit.
The wiring from my rear speakers is going straight from the harness there is no silver box/amp in my trunk......