Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Can u add a sub&amp to stock radio?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 09:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Can u add a sub&amp to stock radio?

like the tittle says...

How hard would it be? my plan is that put two small subs behind the arm rest in the back seat (gut it out...) just to had a lil more bass and to have it hiden (just lift the arm rest) when i dont want them showing...so

1. do you think a kicker 8" square sub would fit in there? (im not sure what the exact dimensions are, yes 8" but is that the sub itself or the frame?)

2. I know ill have to put cross over's (or should) to stop bass in the 4 other speakers

3. How the hell would i wire in the amp to the stock radio?

Any help or suggestion would be great!!

Old 11-06-2009, 11:29 PM

1 - The sub won't fit in the armrest opening, it's roughly 7" wide, IIRC. You know what might work though? If you mounted the subs into the opening behind the back seats with the port firing into the armrest opening (gutted, of course).

2 - How are you going to run the mids/highs? Are they stock or aftermarket? Gonna use the factory amp or aftermarket?

3 - Very easy. All you'd have to do to get the signal from the deck to the amp is wire in a hi/lo converter, tapping into the rear speaker wires. The ideal way to do it though would be to get either a JL Audio Clean Sweep or a Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2

Old 11-08-2009, 09:58 PM
10 Year Member

i was gonna leave everything else stock... i just wanna add a bit more bass to it, you know?

should i run x-overs for my 4 other speakers?

I actually thought of doing what you said, having the sub mounted in the back of the seat... i dont know much about stario system.. not gonna lie

Old 11-09-2009, 06:59 PM

How hard would it be? my plan is that put two small subs behind the arm rest in the back seat (gut it out...) just to had a lil more bass and to have it hiden (just lift the arm rest) when i dont want them showing...so

1. do you think a kicker 8" square sub would fit in there? (im not sure what the exact dimensions are, yes 8" but is that the sub itself or the frame?)
I do not think this would work well. First off, I do not like 8" subs for this big of a car. In all the years I sold car audio, I found the most people disappointed by 8"s. IMO, for a little extra bass, a single 10" in a standard box would be a better option. You really would rather have a little too much and turn it down at the amp rather than too little and overdrive the stuff to distortion.

Also, forward firing like that will likely be quieter than a single 10" box rear facing, or on one side of the trunk. We tried doing a box up firing in a Lincoln before (through the stock sub hole in the rear deck)- and by simply moving the box to the corner of the trunk, it more than doubled volume.

2. I know ill have to put cross over's (or should) to stop bass in the 4 other speakers
It's not a requirement really- but not a bad idea. There is no sense in your mains trying to play sub 100Hz frequencies when your sub is already doing that. You could just do those little cheapy inline ones (they usually have the frequencies on them and you can wire them in right at the main speakers).

3. How the hell would i wire in the amp to the stock radio?
Get an amp with "high level inputs" (Speaker level)- or buy a high level to low level converter (its cheaper if you buy it in the amp already though)- then just run wires from your rear speaker wires directly to this high level input, and you're done! Run your power, ground, remote- etc but your signal is all set to go. (Just make sure you don't install frequency blockers where they will interefere with your amp's signal- you want it to get full signal, then just use the low pass crossover on the amp).

Old 11-11-2009, 10:19 AM
10 Year Member

Wow, someone knows their stuff!!

Tx alot man, appreciated!!

Old 11-11-2009, 11:34 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

I have everything stock (stock deck, stock speakers) and I had a 12" JL Audio sub installed, and a 1200 watt AMP. Sounds great, but leaves the stock look, which I like!