Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Opinion on Gauges Plz

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 08:58 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Opinion on Gauges Plz

Hey all, so I'm asking for everyone's opinion on gauges. I'm talking standalone gauges you mount on the A pillar. I don't know if it's the cold or not as that's when it happens; but randomly after a cold start and on my way to class (1hr drive) it'll get to the 1/4 mark for the temp gauge. Then, all of a sudden start rising almost to the 3/4 mark (gave me a heart attack as I was about to pull over) hovered for a while then dropped pretty quick back down to the 1/4 mark on the temp gauge.

I was thinking a water temp gauge and/or an oil pressure gauge JUST to monitor my car's engine vital(s).

It's got 115,0xx miles on it (just turned over) and I plan on getting a new car with my full time job after I graduate college next year.

I like the idea of because it looks cool [from the inside] (not to sound ricey ) but it also allows me to keep an eye on the water temp better than the analog confusing temp gauge, or just keeping an eye on the Oil Pressure.

It's N/A with just your classic bolt-ons and a cooling mod.

So basically, what do you think of gauges on an N/A car to keep an eye on engine vitals? Is it ricey? Is it an "Aw man your boosted? Let's race!" magnet?

I know my car isn't fast, I don't pretend it is, and I admit to it and tell people when they think it is.

But it does put you back in the seat

Thanks for your input everyone. You guys are my family it feels like

Oh, for those of you that are leaning towards an app, I no longer have an Android device and Torque pro or anything close how awesome that is, is available for the
Windows Phone 8 market Yes, I've looked at them all and have CarDash but it sucks lol just use it for checking and clearing OBD2 codes.

Last edited by MonteLSV6; 09-26-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:02 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Your car sounds like there is air in the cooling system.

I recommend a scangauge 2. You can monitor KR, intake temps, speed, water temp, etc. etc. And it doesn't require any permanent mounting solutions.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Your car sounds like there is air in the cooling system.

I recommend a scangauge 2. You can monitor KR, intake temps, speed, water temp, etc. etc. And it doesn't require any permanent mounting solutions.
Hm, okay. To bleed it you just pop the radiator cap off then start the car till it's in operating temp to burp the air out right?

I've had a scan gauge 2 (before I accidentally dropped it) and I do miss it but switching jobs from a BS one to best buy, and money is kind of tight right now. I cant shell out $175 for an SC2 unfortunately

Thanks for the quick reply!

Last edited by MonteLSV6; 09-26-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:00 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Odds are a gauge pillar like you are talking will be more expensive then the SC2.

Not just that, all Montes have a temp gauge. It sounds like as Chibi suggested, an air pocket is in the system or an old/failing tstat. First it needs bled off and if you continue to have the problem, next step is how did it get there.

I don't have the step-by-step bleeding process in front of my, but I know it's on MCF. These cars have a bleed screw you loosen. But if it's been a long time since the tstat has been changed, I would start there (it's not opening fast enough) and then you'll have to bleed the air in the system anyways.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Odds are a gauge pillar like you are talking will be more expensive then the SC2.
I'll be getting a gauge and single pod less than half the cost of the SC2 no it's not like super cheap crap, but enough to work and monitor for a while till I can possibly get my SC2.

I'm in progress of changing out my thermostat to a lower one anyways, just waiting on the moneys

Old 09-26-2013, 05:43 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

I don't know where there is a single pod made for our cars, all I have seen were 3 gauge pillar pods. I suggest dual aero force interceptor scan gauges over the scan gauge 2. There way better IMO and fit in a pillar pod instead of sitting somewhere which makes it look complete and ment to be there IMO. I'm not sure what the scan gauge 2 monitors but I guarantee the aeroforce gauges monitor the same stuff if not more. Each gauge monitors 2 vitals so if you get the dual setup 2 gauges monitor 4 vitals. They also have warning lights that can be programmed so it something is going wrong they light up to get your attention. Best gauges I've ever bought! And in the third slot get whatever you like. I have a wideband AFR gauge in mine there really cool and vital to a modded car but for you it would just be the cool factor lol.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by turbo monte
I don't know where there is a single pod made for our cars, all I have seen were 3 gauge pillar pods. I suggest dual aero force interceptor scan gauges over the scan gauge 2. There way better IMO and fit in a pillar pod instead of sitting somewhere which makes it look complete and ment to be there IMO. I'm not sure what the scan gauge 2 monitors but I guarantee the aeroforce gauges monitor the same stuff if not more. Each gauge monitors 2 vitals so if you get the dual setup 2 gauges monitor 4 vitals. They also have warning lights that can be programmed so it something is going wrong they light up to get your attention. Best gauges I've ever bought! And in the third slot get whatever you like. I have a wideband AFR gauge in mine there really cool and vital to a modded car but for you it would just be the cool factor lol.
Well, I was just going to get a single pod on eBay and probably screw it in or use 3M double sided tape. I don't have $250 to drop on a gauge lol. Yeah, scangauge II monitors that (judging from a list on eBay of what the Aeroforce monitors) and more.

Hahaha I like that cool factor

BUT, I was just probably going to get a single setup with a Water Temp gauge, or for Oil pressure, just to monitor since the car's got 115k+ miles on it lol

I'm going to get this type of gauge, either the water temp to get a more exact reading and compare to my weird gauge, or an Oil Pressure One. Both of which have warning lights as well.

Name:  mDy2brrjEM-D_YhgtLDfjBQ.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  11.9 KB

and it's blue

hmmm, maybe I should get a green one to make it look factory and make it more clean looking lol

Old 09-27-2013, 09:54 AM

I'm thinking of this one now. Very simple setup and install.

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 61
Size:  277.4 KB

Old 09-27-2013, 11:13 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

Not sure who makes them gauges if there good or not. I wouldn't bother with temp and oil pressure gauges if you have them in your cluster already. Also the eBay pod probably won't fit right and it will look sloppy I would buy the 3 pillar gauge pod made for our cars if it were me.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:10 PM

I have an LS so I only have the speedometer, temp, fuel, and rpm's unfortunately.

The coolant gauge has be guessing what temp it is and spike's randomly once in a while, so I would like a more exact reading.

The three pillar pod setup? Do you have a link for that or know where I can find that?

lol I don't want 3 gauges in a N/A car. People will think I'm fast or something lol

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Opinion on Gauges Plz