Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Okay, this has got to stop!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Okay, this has got to stop!

So I'm pretty sure it's the battery now. Just went out to start it and all it did was give off one pitiful click.

Man, this is going to suck not being able to drive until I can get a new battery.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:14 AM

At my job I test batteries pretty much once a day if not more. I suggest asking the people when they test it, to check the actual cold cranking amps on it. I had a battery returned today that had a 12 volt charge, but only 53 cold cranking amps. the volts was enough to keep it running, but the initial amperage wasn't enough, so he had to boost it. So thats what I suggest going with.

My alternator died, and it was replaced last week friday, and I noticed before, that it was only charging my battery intermittenly, so basically, at idle it was a rough idle, because it wasn't constantly charging the battery, and so at times it ran from the battery, and other from the alternator. So if it idles smooth, get the battery tested.

And also the place i work at uses exide batteries, and the warranty we offer is 3yr free replacement, 9yr total warranty, and we have yet to have to return a battery.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:11 AM

Yeah, the idle is nice and smooth. I plan on checking it later today if the weather can hold long enough. I'll look into these exide batteries, I've never heard of them before.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:58 PM

see optima was the first one to come out so they have a rep of being the best. in reality it is the name your paying for .
do a serch for Gel cell bateries you would be suprised wha tyou cna find on them optima dose have a decent warrenty and a good rep but some of the others do also and actually seem to work just as good.
I think they call thiers the sidewinder or somthign like it but a guy in Germany had one and loved it. i didnt know of them ethier till after mine was already in teh car then he said somethign to me.

but defenly worth looking in to anythign if you can ge tthe same quality for a better price im all for it. I dont need to have th ename to feel important LOL

Old 04-10-2008, 01:35 PM

So the guy at Checkers told me it wasn't the battery even though it said the CCA was at 42, so after a few attempts to jumb my car with his truck so he could test the alternator my car made his scanner do something he had never seen before, made the rpm gauge go up on the scanner while just idling, so he said with that not working right it's probably the starter.

Went to the dealership here in town and the guy said $50 to look and they'd go from there. I said maybe next week.

Hit up Advanced Auto and there test showed that the battery dropped down to 6 amps after just a few seconds of turning the car off so the scanner deal that he used said it was a bad battery, they only had one in stock that would fit my car, can't even remember what it is right now but it cost me just under $80 after the student discount for going to college here.

I went ahead and let them replace it (it was free) and drove off very very happy, my car is working again

P.S. - New batteries add like 15 hp don't they?!?!

Old 04-10-2008, 02:03 PM

[align=center]Hi `Garrett,[/align][align=center]Life sure can be a challenge, and so can cars : )[/align][align=center]It's sure a pain when there are problems, but it's just another[/align][align=center]reminder to enjoy the `journey on your highways of life,[/align][align=center]when everything is working properly.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Good Luck, and Good Starts on your Awesome LT3.[/align][align=center]Let us know what type of battery you got,[/align][align=center]and `if any problems return.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]It should be a reminder to all to have their battery's (that areafew years old),checked[/align][align=center]next time they are @ a parts store that does free testing.[/align][align=center]You were wise to go to a parts store, and not have to[/align][align=center]pay $50, to them forjust opening your hood.[/align][align=center]Good Luck to you, & your `Monte,[/align][align=center]`Space[/align][align=center]Is this the one you got ?[/align][align=center][:-]
AUTOCRAFT TITANIUM – Three Year Free Replacement [/align][align=center]
[ul][*]A Premium Product[*]Our most powerful battery[*]84 months pro-rata warranty[*]Built to exceed original equipment specifications[*]Maintenance free[*]Provides longer life in today’s higher under-hood temperatures[*]STARTING AT 59.94 WITH EXCHANGE ( UP TO $128.88) [/ul]

[align=center][/align][/align]

Old 04-10-2008, 02:25 PM

I suggest staying away from the guy at checkers. Cause he really don't seem to know what he is doing. Haha. The battery tester at my work won't even test the battery if it doesn't pull above 90 cca. Its a good thing you got the advanced Auto guys to check it and you didn't spend the 200-300 for a start. haha

Old 04-10-2008, 04:50 PM

Damn Space, it is actually an AutoCraft Titanium, looks a little different than that but it sure is, I've got a three year warranty on it so after that I'll hopefully have some cash laying around as those Yellowtops look pretty juicy...