Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Not your run of the mill system......

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 05:44 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Those speakers and that box definately looks heavy!

Lets just hope when you lite'm up....

You still have a car left holding it! lol

Looks like plenty of vibes gonna be shakn it down forsure!

And I highly doubt anyone from here(on this forum) stole your last system!

I would hope you have a fancy alarm system that lets you know someones messn with your stuff!
even if you cant see it!....Thats what I would definately have!

Last edited by STUMPMI; 12-10-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:25 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

So I put the cargo springs in tonight.

Damn forgot to take 'Before' pics though. The rear end of the car was sitting so low you couldn't see the treads on tires before. Now, they treads are just visible through the gap between tire and fender.

So the 1" lift springs made a difference of about .5" in the long run.

Not enough.

So now instead of the rubber spacers they sell at Autozone, I'm gonna order some Polyurethane spacers that are made for YJ Jeeps and try those. Since they go under the spring (or on top which is what I'll be doing) they'll add the full 1" of lift I need.

Anyway, it's late and my pictures from tonight aren't all that impressive so I'll upload them tomorrow.

Oh and the stolen equipment, I'm sure it was someone local. I wasn't exactly careful before, I bumped loud and ran music videos on the 8" screen. Since then I've upgraded my horns (I run 4 now) and disabled the trunk release button. If all I would have done before is pull that switch I woulda been fine.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:45 AM

^^^ We live & hopefully we learn from our mistakes, never to repeat them...

Look 4ward 2 seeing your new pic's...I'm surprised your system doesn't blow all your windows out or your ear drums...
EnJoy Your Tunes 4-Sure...

p.s. Does your insurance company cover your system ? If not, you should check with them to see what it would cost for coverage ?
(can you hear me) ~>
Peace/Out

Old 12-12-2012, 09:30 AM

My monte carlo is walled off.. I had 6 12s now im in the rebuild stage(never ends) i had custom springs made from coil spring specialties i did factory ride hight plus 1000 pounds.. And damn.. I have a perfect setup now...i was rubbing all the time with 20s now i have room for 24s. Im gonna be on 22s soon but im waiting to finish my rebuild before i change wheels just incase.. But honestly thats the way to go instead of putting spacers and what not in there.. Cost me 500$ after everhthing was said and done.. Thats with new sensa trac struts..

Old 12-16-2012, 02:28 AM

Thanks Boxman420,
Was actually hoping one of SPL die hards would chime in.

I found another thread where some guy mentioned putting some ridiculous amount of low powered 12's in his trunk and found some custom springs for about the same price.
So I am leaning towards this in the near future.

Problem is we all know what available cash means. So, without going "ghetto" if I may say, I'm doing quality made spacers until I can do a true custom spring upgrade.
I already passed on the rubber inserts they sell at the auto stores, and I won't use the knuckle type that just widen a coil.

I've got a front to back Pacesetter exhaust and the mufflers and tips are getting beat no matter how careful i am. So I've gotta do something, unless I'm ill informed (I could be) I don't have any other good options out there without getting crazy.

I might go a year (if that), on the spacers before I get custom springs made.

The good thing is, I don't race, I don't corner like hell anymore, so generally speaking, the bad things that go wrong with spacers shouldn't happen to me. It's the 4x4 guys twisting things up that pop em out.

I must say though, I'm pretty disappointed in the springs from W-Body store. They are better than stock, they did make a difference, but they don't list any type of load rating or any ratings vs stock springs. These springs alone would have been perfect for my build when I ran 12's - the sealed box for the 12's is A LOT smaller than for the 15s, and the drivers themselves are about 11lbs less for 12's.

Anyway, we're doing non-typical things with our vehicles, we're gonna see non-typical difficulties.

So I do have a question or two for you though...
The back shelf that's made of pressboard, with the cutouts for 6x9's.
**** I hate dealing with these, in any vehicle. Mine now is pretty much the only thing left inside that I can't seem to lock down and rid of vibrations. I'm bout to cut the thing out (last time I removed it I had to pull the seats and remove an assload of trim pieces) and screw some carpeted MDF in place. Before I do this I thought you may have a suggestion or two to deal with it.

Secondly, how is your charging system? I'm still yet to install my Mechman 320a. I have been considering a second. I ran 2 and then 3 stock 170a in my old Beretta, and if I knew then what I did now I would have went with a single high output. The add'l drag seemed to affect things. Just curious if the same things might happen with the HO alts or if it would even be recommended. My logic is having more at idle.

Thanks for reading

Old 12-16-2012, 02:35 AM

Here is the side by side of the WBody Store springs vs my Stock springs.

You can see they are pretty much the same height (I believe my stock springs have sagged a tad) the cargo springs just have more coil to them.

Also a shot of the spring installed.

Before I put the spacers in I'll take a side pic of the fender so you can see my clearance. I wish I would have remembered to the first time. Although like I said earlier it was definitely not a dramatic difference.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:02 AM

hmm why spl/ have you considered SQL? i have something that will interest you, ultra rare sub, sealed box that can produce what i estimate in at least in the 138's with 1k watts which is loud enough for any daily driver that isn't competing in SPL.

let me know if your interested it'll fit right into your car as i built it for mine

Old 12-16-2012, 01:52 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

That's insane!!!! Nice setup!

Old 12-18-2012, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by walkingonabullet
hmm why spl/ have you considered SQL? i have something that will interest you, ultra rare sub, sealed box that can produce what i estimate in at least in the 138's with 1k watts which is loud enough for any daily driver that isn't competing in SPL.

let me know if your interested it'll fit right into your car as i built it for mine
This isn't an aluminum, non-conventional diameter sub, would it be?
Sold mine on CL. May be interested in it again.

Originally Posted by turbo monte
That's insane!!!! Nice setup!
Thank you!!!

Old 01-05-2013, 12:31 AM

Some more updates.
Been extremely busy with my shop and I'm getting married in a week AND having a baby in a month.

Finally got my alternator installed. It's a Mechman 320a and it's a stock fit.
Took a few comparison photos:

Working great! Voltage has stabilized completely. The stock alt was nowhere near enough output.

Also, I got my custom lift spacers. They fit the springs perfectly. I will crown the bottoms of them to fit the spring cups a little better. Not sure when I'll get them put in.

I'll keep updating as they come. My next audio upgrade is to switch out my door speakers for my RE Audio XXX components, followed by the same components in 6x9 size going in the rear deck. I need to find a way to rebuild the hat rack to a solid carpeted MDF piece instead of the floppy pressboard that's back there now.

Also, not audio related, but I had some exhaust work finished up too. I had put a ZZP downpipe no cat/no o2 bung on last summer with the O2 emulator but had a stock exhaust from the cat flange back. I recently updated the catback system to the Pacesetter kit, but with the low clearance issues I've had and the winter weather, the 5 or so exhaust clamps were straining and I started getting exhaust leaks. Finally the flange gasket blew out. So the other day and $90 later I had Midas weld all the joints I had clamps on, except for my exhaust tips. Sooooo much better. I got a steal of a deal on the exhaust system itself, the main labor i did myself, so $90 for welding actually made me smile.

Sounds beast whether it's the engine or the system!!

Quick Reply: Not your run of the mill system......