Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Not your run of the mill system......

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Not your run of the mill system......

So I posted a few years back when I built a system for my new Monte. I called it an SPL build but got harassed by a few forum members because I used a sealed box.

Some of you might remember me.

Anyway, I was running two Orion HCCA 12.2's in a box built to spec. I wanted a sealed box. I wanted the flat response. I wasn't going for a burp box or something with narrow tuning.

I TL'd at 144dB.

Long story shortened, I left the forum and my system got stolen not long after.

So this year I did it again. I had to decide though if I wanted to go pure SPL and do a ported box with 12's again, or if I wanted a repeat of before, or what.

I settled on 2 15" HCCAs this time, ported box simply not possible in the trunk, so it's sealed.
Better electrical this time, and a bit more power.

I haven't gotten it TL'd yet, but it's definitely got more than the 12" subs did.
And again, I know I could have gone with different configurations.
Comment away...

Old 11-25-2012, 08:11 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Nice system. Welcome back

Old 11-25-2012, 08:26 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2012
1 Year Member

Super nice!! Hcca's are amazing, good choice! I bet that sounds bad @$$!!

Old 11-25-2012, 09:05 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Damn thats one crazy setup

Old 11-26-2012, 08:23 AM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year

It looks tight as hell. Not a lot of groceries, I'd imagine.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:45 PM

Thank you all.

It sure slams, not sure where I'm at though. If I get it Termed soon I'll post results.

And Miller I've already been in the habit of loading my back & passenger seats instead of the trunk, but yeah, I had a little room before, now I have ZERO.

And what you can't see in the pictures, is my rear end dropped about 3.5" lower. So I'm adding some lift springs and new struts this next week.

About to go get it registered for the new year. Wish me luck!

Old 11-27-2012, 11:04 AM

Man, that looks sweet! I was gonna ask how much it will drop the rear end of you car, but that is so cool. I would like for my car to kick like that one does.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:39 PM

looks like a nice system. gotta say that it looks really heavy though

Old 11-28-2012, 10:44 PM

320a alternator and lift springs/spacer going in sometime between now and next week. I'll post some pictures of it before and after.

It's not mentioned what all is done, so I guess I'll put it here.

The front battery was replaced with an XS 3400, and there are two XS 3000's in the spare tire cavity. My old system used typical cell batteries, so this is a big upgrade.

0 gauge wire around the car. The spot welds and framework make the body of the car good for grounds up to about 4ga so I ran zero gauge as a common ground, as well as for the power cable from front to rear and to the subwoofer amps.

The box is a braced 3/4" MDF box with double layer baffle. Not sure how much the final weight was, but I'm guessing near 200lbs unloaded.

All the floors, doors, trunklid, and hood are double layered with SecondSkin, and the trunk lid and structures in the decklid are filled with latex foam as well.

There's a 4 channel Orion amp pushing my 6x9s and my door speakers.

Tied together with a Pioneer AVH 4400 with mobile TV tuner

The alternator came from Mechman alternators and is their S series rated for 320 amps.

The lift springs came from wbodystore.com and the spacers that will go underneath them came from my local O'Reilly autoparts.

All in all its a TON of weight. I came here to try and find the best way to accommodate it and best I can do is to go off of the guys trying to fit bigger than 20" wheels.

So I'll post as I go.

Also if anyone wants to see some pics more related to the install I can get them up too.

Thanks for looking

Old 12-10-2012, 05:20 PM

Well, doing the Cargo springs from wbodystore and putting in some spacers too. Will post pics when done.

Quick Reply: Not your run of the mill system......