Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

new speakers sound same as old ones

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 11:57 PM
Default new speakers sound same as old ones

I have a 2004 monte carlo ls. I installed the pioneer mvh p8200bt headunit. it works but my front speakers made a crackling noise. i thought it was becuase the stock speakers couldent handle the increased power. So i went to bestbuy today and bought a pair of 6.5 inch pioneer speakers today, i put them in they sound the exact same as the old ones. And i know everyone says its because i have the positive and negative speaker wires mixed up but i tried them both ways so this isnt the cause. Is it something i did wrong with my radio? or is it the speakers? plz help. I also used the gmos-04 wire harness to put in my headunit, and my monte did come with an amp

Old 12-28-2010, 01:01 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by rmase182ls
I have a 2004 monte carlo ls. I installed the pioneer mvh p8200bt headunit. it works but my front speakers made a crackling noise. i thought it was becuase the stock speakers couldent handle the increased power. So i went to bestbuy today and bought a pair of 6.5 inch pioneer speakers today, i put them in they sound the exact same as the old ones. And i know everyone says its because i have the positive and negative speaker wires mixed up but i tried them both ways so this isnt the cause. Is it something i did wrong with my radio? or is it the speakers? plz help. I also used the gmos-04 wire harness to put in my headunit, and my monte did come with an amp
Problems highlighted in red OK jk but in all seriousness, check the wiring from the radio to the speakers, it could be pinched, grounding out on something. Does the crackle come at high or low volumes?

Old 12-28-2010, 01:05 AM

haha FUNNY! i just wanted to improve my sound for when i lisyen to my music i didnt want anything to expensive. And im pretty sure its not the speaker wires becuase i did use a wiring harness for the headunit, the harness did have me use rca cables tho,but i did put the rca cables in the right spots. and the crackling and distortion comes from high volumes and when bass hits

Old 12-28-2010, 01:28 AM

My monte does have the factor amp included, the headunit puts out 14 rms. the pioneer speakers can only do 35 rms. do you think im overpowering them? im just so confused cuz in the store the speakers sounded so good. should i return them and get speakers with more rms? im looking at kickers with 130 rms. would these be better? or i see kenwoods with 70 rms?

Old 12-31-2010, 06:58 PM

pioneer stuff is cheap, your problem is that u had everything installed at best buy.. for god sakes man, if you love your car take it to an actually car audio shop

Old 01-01-2011, 12:24 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

if your only putting 14rms and theyre rated at 35rms youd be underpowering them by a lot, what kickers are you looking at?

Old 01-01-2011, 05:23 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Randdady
pioneer stuff is cheap, your problem is that u had everything installed at best buy.. for god sakes man, if you love your car take it to an actually car audio shop
Fellow Nebraskan shares opinion lol.

Ive got some kenwood 5 1/4s in mine, And I bypassed past the amp because it went out. My stock headunit can power it fine without crackling so idk how the aftermarket one cant power it. Mabye its an issue in your amp itself.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:09 PM

The crackling only comes at high volumes and when bass hits are hard?

I'd say to check your wiring job. Make sure all of your connections are solid, with wiring nuts where possible. Then check your ground. Make sure it's in place with a good connection.

If you still have a problem, then ask this question:
Does the crackling happen with the radio? What about a CD or mp3 player?
If only the radio crackles, I think you know the problem.

If it crackles with CD and mp3 inputs, then you have a wiring/head unit problem.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:20 PM

funny cus my stock fronts sound pretty darn good with my old alpine (top of the line about 5 years ago). then again it has all sorts of eq and timing correction adjusted in it.

are you using radio, cd, or mp3? mp3's can really kill sound quality depending on the bit rate. try a cd that has a high quality recording and a wide spectrum of frequencies. something with some loud highs, deep bass, and stuff. dark side of the moon comes to mind.