Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

ls gauges to ss gauges

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 09:33 PM
Default ls gauges to ss gauges

I searched the for this question but I guess I am not hitting the correct search words, I have a 01 LS and want to know is it possible to install the SS gauges.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:15 PM

Its possible but the ls doesnt have the sender for the oil pressure i believe. The battery gauge will work though and everything else will work but not the oil pressure

Someone correct me if i am wrong

Old 08-31-2013, 03:00 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've done a lot of research on this, but don't have a car worth testing it on.

- With ONLY changing the cluster, all gauges, except the oil pressure will work.

What I found and no one has confirmed:
- You need to replace the oil pressure switch with an oil pressure sending unit.
- You need the connector for an oil pressure sending unit. This has 2 wires, the switch uses 1 wire. One wire is signal, the other wire (that you don't have) is nothing more then a ground.
- Wire in the new connector, install an oil pressure sending unit, done.

I've done a lot of reading and comparing of diagrams with the shop book and that's what it boils down to. It needs a ground to work.

If you make the swap, PLEASE post back. I've shared this info at least 3 times and I have yet to see anyone respond with additional information.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:44 PM

10 Year Member

I just have to bump this thread "because"....

@MidNight Rider - Just curious if you are going to pursue the cluster swap. I've been waiting to see if someone goes through the information i have found (so far, if they have no one reported back).

Old 09-03-2013, 09:50 PM

Hey midnightrider, just thought if let you know if you do decide to do the swap, I have an ss cluster for sale

Old 09-03-2013, 09:51 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I just have to bump this thread "because"....

@MidNight Rider - Just curious if you are going to pursue the cluster swap. I've been waiting to see if someone goes through the information i have found (so far, if they have no one reported back).
I copied and pasted this info and emailed it to Matt. Pretty positive he will have the answer your looking for. Will let you know his reply when I get it. Stand By.....

Old 09-04-2013, 05:32 AM

10 Year Member

I know a lot of people claim it can't be done, but no one ever researched it or said why or that they tried it. Based on what I've found in the shop books, I think making the oil gauge work is as simple as I mentioned. I'd love to know if someone tried it out just to know if I'm right

Old 09-04-2013, 06:54 AM

I am going to do this, I am on the hunt for cluster. to me this is a pretty much straight forward swap, I know that the oil pressure sending unit has to be changed out for one that reads pressure and not an idiot light. as soon as I find a cluster I will let you guys know.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:44 AM

10 Year Member

Here's an SS cluster for sale:
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/pr...44/#post568485

Also, you MUST change the connector when you install the oil sending unit. Your current oil switch has just one wire, the sending unit needs the 2nd wire (which is a simple ground). The other wire (that you already have) is the same regardless of which oil unit you have and goes to the same spot on the PCM.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:22 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

I have the SS cluster in my car... oil pressure always stays super low for some reason tho

Quick Reply: ls gauges to ss gauges