Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Lost All Interior Sound - Stereo/CD/Driver Info Messages/Ect...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 11:39 AM

That's great that you got it fixed. Just hurts my problem even more. I have checked my amp. I took it out and put in a friends 03 and it works great. I put his in mine and nothing,

Old 01-11-2011, 12:10 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by TJ35
That's great that you got it fixed. Just hurts my problem even more. I have checked my amp. I took it out and put in a friends 03 and it works great. I put his in mine and nothing,
your headunit turns on and everything? there may be a fuse for the amp itself, check all fuses and go from there if you havent already

Old 01-11-2011, 12:35 PM

Yeah head unit is working. CheckED all the fuses and wires. All i can think of now is maybe the bcm. But there is no other problem so i don't know about the bcm.

Last edited by TJ35; 01-11-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mad Max Mark
I was intending to give everyone an update last fall after leaving my original posts... completely forgot about it until I received yesterday's replies....

YES - I did get my stereo problem corrected. It was the stock / factory amplifier. I already had my factory amp disconnected when I drove to my local junk yard. Their Monte in the field had the same stereo system as mine. They had the amp waiting when I arrived and the model numbers matched.

After all my issues described in the beginning of this thread, I opened the trunk, plugged in the used salvage amp and the stereo instantly began playing in the parking lot of the salvage yard. It only took a second or two to plug-in and it doesn't even need to be bolted or physically grounded to function. Inititally ~ to test the idea... I just let the amp hang by the harness from under the rear deck and the system began playing instantly when hooked up...

The volume was cranked... the bass turned up... and Waylon Jennings's song "Always Been Crazy" was playing on the radio at the time.... everybody in the salvage yard heard it cranked... LOL. Haven't had any problems with the stereo since replacing it. Happy ending....
who called it

Old 01-12-2011, 09:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Monte Carlo Factory Stereo...

Originally Posted by TJ35
Yeah head unit is working. CheckED all the fuses and wires. All i can think of now is maybe the bcm. But there is no other problem so i don't know about the bcm.

TJ35... before you do anything else... I would recommend pausing and just drive the car into a GM dealership for diagnostics... When I was researching my Monte's stereo problem, I stopped into one of my local dealers and spoke with the Service Manager about the issues.

During this conversation, they hadn't experienced many of these sound failures, however... the Manager recalled having one customer that had some really freaky sound issues that mimicked mine. In the example he cited to me... he explained the "other customer" had a Chevy Silverado pickup truck with the premium sound system like ours and it began losing sound. When they brought the truck in for diagnostics and the Service Technicians began to research the problem, they learned about a "revised" software patch that was available for the audio/information system that could be installed. He wasn't very detailed or specific when talking about it with me, but the software patch was available from GM as a downloadable install using the diagnostics equipment. In this example, the software patch corrected this particular customer's stereo problems and the Manager told me it sounded almost identical to what I had been describing with mine at the time.

Before you lose patience or spend needless money - just take the car for diagnostics. The factory stereo receivers in our Monte's are also programmed to be VIN number specific, so you can't merely swap an identical receiver out of another Monte without taking the used unit to the Dealership for custom programming anyway.

Even though you are seeing perfect LCD displays on your recevier display, it doesn't necessarily mean you unit is working properly. It could very well be experiencing a failed receiver. If your stereo reciever has failed, GM has a rebuild program for these factory stereos. You'rs gets removed and replaced with a factory rebuilt unit and the part price is around $225 for the premium system ~ regardless of what has failed inside your old unit... I'm not sure what the diagnostics & labor cost, but I recall the ball-park amount being much less than I had been fearing.

When this takes place, the dealership technicians re-program the replacment stereo receiver to match your car's ECM computer serial number and the car's VIN number. This is a design deterent to reduce the proliferation of "chop shops" in the larger metro cities.

Just take the car to a reputable dealer... you already know it's not the amp or fuses, so there's not much else you can do on your own without chasing your tail, bumping yer head, smashing yer fingers and utlitmately wanting to jump off a bridge in frustration... take it from me... been there!

Old 07-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Default Looking for stock amp

Originally Posted by trewyn15
I have a stock amp if your still looking for one
Do you still have this amp and how much do you want for it? I have the same problems - 2001 MC SS - no sound.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mad Max Mark
TJ35... before you do anything else... I would recommend pausing and just drive the car into a GM dealership for diagnostics... When I was researching my Monte's stereo problem, I stopped into one of my local dealers and spoke with the Service Manager about the issues.

During this conversation, they hadn't experienced many of these sound failures, however... the Manager recalled having one customer that had some really freaky sound issues that mimicked mine. In the example he cited to me... he explained the "other customer" had a Chevy Silverado pickup truck with the premium sound system like ours and it began losing sound. When they brought the truck in for diagnostics and the Service Technicians began to research the problem, they learned about a "revised" software patch that was available for the audio/information system that could be installed. He wasn't very detailed or specific when talking about it with me, but the software patch was available from GM as a downloadable install using the diagnostics equipment. In this example, the software patch corrected this particular customer's stereo problems and the Manager told me it sounded almost identical to what I had been describing with mine at the time.

Before you lose patience or spend needless money - just take the car for diagnostics. The factory stereo receivers in our Monte's are also programmed to be VIN number specific, so you can't merely swap an identical receiver out of another Monte without taking the used unit to the Dealership for custom programming anyway.

Even though you are seeing perfect LCD displays on your recevier display, it doesn't necessarily mean you unit is working properly. It could very well be experiencing a failed receiver. If your stereo reciever has failed, GM has a rebuild program for these factory stereos. You'rs gets removed and replaced with a factory rebuilt unit and the part price is around $225 for the premium system ~ regardless of what has failed inside your old unit... I'm not sure what the diagnostics & labor cost, but I recall the ball-park amount being much less than I had been fearing.

When this takes place, the dealership technicians re-program the replacment stereo receiver to match your car's ECM computer serial number and the car's VIN number. This is a design deterent to reduce the proliferation of "chop shops" in the larger metro cities.

Just take the car to a reputable dealer... you already know it's not the amp or fuses, so there's not much else you can do on your own without chasing your tail, bumping yer head, smashing yer fingers and utlitmately wanting to jump off a bridge in frustration... take it from me... been there!
My dealer never heard of the problem itself.

I've had the BCM replaced since the car died and they worked and worked to get the radio to work to no avail. If you could get your dealer to share that "reset" information, it sure would be helpful.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:53 PM

My 2003 ss sound went out about a few weeks ago and came on here to see if anyone knew what the issues was and found this post. Thanks