Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Lost All Interior Sound - Stereo/CD/Driver Info Messages/Ect...

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 11:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Lost All Interior Sound - Stereo/CD/Driver Info Messages/Ect...

I have a really bizarre problem that has developed with my 2001 Monte Carlo SS. I have the premium Stock stereo system and have lost all volume from the system. When I turn the radio on, the head unit has power with full LCD displays showing radio station, volume level, ect... but no sound whatsever. When I insert a CD into the player, the same problem - the LCD display shows the track number playing and all other display functionality is working correctly - just no sound through the speakers.

At first, I suspected a failing head unit or factory amp, but then, I suddenly realized I HAD LOST ALL FORMS OF SOUND THROUGHOUT THE PASSENGER COMPARTMENT. At the same time, I no longer have any sound from my chimes, tones, buzzers or sound indicators for my seat belt warning, ect.

In addition to loss of stereo sound, I have also lost all "beeping" sounds whenever my driver information system detects low air pressure in a tire, low washer fluid in the reservoir, low coolant in the radiator, change engine oil monitor, ect, ect.

In addition to loss of driver information sounds, I have also lost the "beeping" sounds that are supposed to occur when I reset my fuel economy computer located on the ceiling of the car. Whenever total miles, gallons used, average MPG, instant MPG, ect is reset, the system should provide a "BEEP" at the moment of reset/clearing.... but these sounds have been lost also...

All functionality of the driver information system and fuel economy computer is still working properly including their displays AND accuracy - just no warning / indicator sounds.

As far as I can tell, the car's warning indicators via the driver information & fuel computer do not use the stereo speakers to make their noises. I am quite sure there must be a seperate microphone/speaker of some sort inside the dash, which is dedicated for making the electronic beeps, buzzers & warning noises.

But - whatever is wrong is affecting the stereo volume AND warning indicator noises.

Has anyone ever heard of this problem before or what to do about it?

It's been an excellent car and I love it. I won't part with it - so don't suggest dumping it... it won't happen. They will burry me in it before that happens!

Please advise,

Mark

Old 10-18-2010, 12:06 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

The beeping stuff still comes through the speakers. did it just happen or were u messing with it or...

Open the trunk and look up, make sure the 2 sets of cables are connected to the stock amp.

Then lets go from there. Check fuses as well.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:06 PM
10 Year Member

Thanks Jaws.

The problem first began about 2 months ago for no apparent reason. When I first experienced the loss of stereo sound, it was sporatic - not permanent. Some days, I would use the radio and the volume would come on/off for varrying intervals. Sometimes it would cut-out for 20-30 seconds, other times 10 minutes... sometimes a couple of hours. As the weeks went by, the sound would work less & less, with much longer "cut-out" periods. The past two weeks, the stereo volume has not worked at all and seems to be permanently dead - although the LCD displays are working fine.

I just went out to the car a few minutes ago and disconnected the battery again for about 10 minutes - with the remote thought there was something in the ECM that needed "resetting". Aftewards, I hooked it back up - and nope! still no sound.

Next, I just pulled every fuse in the whole car (both fuse panels - driver + passenger side). All fuses were good. Still no sound.

Next, I crawled in the trunk and dropped the factory amplifer down and unplugged / re-plugged the two harness connectors. Still no sound.

If the driver information sounds are broadcast through the music speakers of the stereo - this is the first time I've ever heard of a system like it, however - that reality brings my mind back to the idea the factory power AMP has failed me. What does anybody else think?

While I had my AMP dropped down, I recorded my numbers. Is there anybody on this forum that has a good used factory Amp from a 2000/2001 Monte that they have sitting around and wish to sell? Seems most are replacing their factory amps with aftermarket - but I'm ok with keeping my factory amp with another used identical one - as long as I can be assured it works and the price is right.

My AMP I.D. is as follows:

Model #: 10432571
Ref: CY-BG2912ZC
Serial #: 378601

Any other suggestions, please advise.

~MMM

Old 10-18-2010, 02:08 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

Welcome to the forum.. I didnt realize that when you started this thread that it was your first post.

It almost sounds like a short. If you could somehow test the connections at the amp. For example see if the amp is getting power, see if the speaker wires that connect to the amp are getting signal into the amp and out of the amp to the speakers ect...

If you had a spare factory amp handy id tell you to swap it, same with the stock deck. To see what happens

Old 10-18-2010, 07:14 PM
10 Year Member

yes, this was my first thread & post. I called my local salvage yard. They have one 2001 Monte in the field, but are checking to see which stereo system it has. If I can find another factory amp to plug-in, I'd be willing to spend a little on a used one. I'm not paying for a new one though. Way too much markup. I wish somebody on this site had a used amp sitting on their garage shelf to sell me.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:20 PM

Mark you ever figure this out. I have the exact same problem on my 02 monte. I have checked all the wires, amp, radio, and fuses, all good still no sound what so ever. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 01-10-2011, 02:29 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

I have a stock amp if your still looking for one

Old 01-10-2011, 04:45 PM

my guess, you're stock amp blew. i was going to say check the harness but you have. I have a stock amp laying around i might part with

Old 01-11-2011, 09:18 AM
10 Year Member

I was intending to give everyone an update last fall after leaving my original posts... completely forgot about it until I received yesterday's replies....

YES - I did get my stereo problem corrected. It was the stock / factory amplifier. I already had my factory amp disconnected when I drove to my local junk yard. Their Monte in the field had the same stereo system as mine. They had the amp waiting when I arrived and the model numbers matched.

After all my issues described in the beginning of this thread, I opened the trunk, plugged in the used salvage amp and the stereo instantly began playing in the parking lot of the salvage yard. It only took a second or two to plug-in and it doesn't even need to be bolted or physically grounded to function. Inititally ~ to test the idea... I just let the amp hang by the harness from under the rear deck and the system began playing instantly when hooked up...

The volume was cranked... the bass turned up... and Waylon Jennings's song "Always Been Crazy" was playing on the radio at the time.... everybody in the salvage yard heard it cranked... LOL. Haven't had any problems with the stereo since replacing it. Happy ending....

Old 01-11-2011, 09:52 AM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year

Great ending. Glad you got it fixed,.

Quick Reply: Lost All Interior Sound - Stereo/CD/Driver Info Messages/Ect...